Microsoft: 80 Percent of Windows 8 Users Will Have Touch..

It’s no surprise that Microsoft promotes Windows 8 as an operating system that’s built for the touch, so the company is back with some new optimistic forecasts.

Speaking at Computex in a Future of Touch Panel keynote, Microsoft's GM of OEM engineering Christian Cocks explained that Windows 8 would most likely take off in the touchscreen sector, as most of its features are specifically aimed at this type of devices.

"Today, if you look at touch penetration across major markets, it's probably somewhere in the low teens. But over time, in the next couple of months, we see [touch] penetration rates sky rocketing across the world by this holiday," Cocks said according to The Inquirer.
Microsoft: 80 Percent of Windows 8 Users Will Have Touchscreens

I don't think so.

I just want to see a REAL nice 23 or 27 inch touchscreen monitor, pressure sensitive, IPS panel, very small edge bezel, tilts down like an artist drawing easel (or Bing/google Wacon touchscreen for more details), at least 1080p or higher resolution, and maybe ideally a very good tri-microphone array. So far, I THINK LG might have that kind of monitor that they showed off back at CES but they haven't released such yet.

Our Acer All in One computers at work (5 of them) are 23" and they tilt way down.
Softpedia-Offers-Full-Download-List-for-Acer-s-Aspire-5600U-All-in-One.png

But unless you are standing up, or sitting on a bar stool, they cannot be used tilted way down. In an office environment sitting at a desk, it has to stay vertical.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
The core problem here is the folks that can't seem to imagine a desktop computer and monitor as being anything other than a single-user device a couple feet vertically in front of the face with some guy or gal plugging away with input.

Basically, where touchscreen comes in is not when doing a lot of data entry or work. Its when you go to play. At that point, you would look to shift said computer into a form factor that makes sense for the input. Here is just one example in the picture below.

c0b30a0002a81ebdfd1dedb8d5047fd2.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
The core problem here is the folks that can't seem to imagine a desktop computer and monitor as being anything other than a single-user device a couple feet vertically in front of the face with some guy or gal plugging away with input. And that is precisely what mine is, and so it shall remain.

Basically, where touchscreen comes in is not when doing a lot of data entry or work. Its when you go to play. At that point, you would look to shift said computer into a form factor that makes sense for the input. Here is just one example in the picture below. I don't play that way. The kind of games I play require an upright (or nearly so) screen, and cannot be played at all using touch.

View attachment 22762

Sorry, but there's nothing in touch to benefit me, and much to annoy and frustrate.

Those who do like it are welcome to use it, and so long as it remains optional I'm good.

It's simply not for me.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
I just want to see a REAL nice 23 or 27 inch touchscreen monitor, pressure sensitive, IPS panel, very small edge bezel, tilts down like an artist drawing easel (or Bing/google Wacon touchscreen for more details), at least 1080p or higher resolution, and maybe ideally a very good tri-microphone array. So far, I THINK LG might have that kind of monitor that they showed off back at CES but they haven't released such yet.

Our Acer All in One computers at work (5 of them) are 23" and they tilt way down.
View attachment 22757

But unless you are standing up, or sitting on a bar stool, they cannot be used tilted way down. In an office environment sitting at a desk, it has to stay vertical.

Hi there
Just wondering if you know of any decent touch monitors that could be either attached to an "Old School Engineering" Drawing board or an equivalent piece of kit that would replace a drawing board -- must be suitable for Architectural standard to scale drawings.

Most of the decent drawing screens I've seen are FAR too small and the large monitors seem to be designed to be stand alone pieces of kit that are meant to be attached to a Wall and used either as per "Cinema" audience - i.e passively or you Stand up facing the monitor which is very tiring if you need to do fine line drawings etc.

Here's how it needs to be used. (Pic of my drawing Board -- "Old school" type). You sit at this using an adjustable height Bar stool (My Beer isn't shown though !!).

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• board.png
    board.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 210

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
ChrisA

The core problem here is the folks that can't seem to imagine a desktop computer and monitor as being anything other than a single-user device a couple feet vertically in front of the face with some guy or gal plugging away with input.

Which people can't imagine that?

Basically, where touchscreen comes in is not when doing a lot of data entry or work. Its when you go to play.

Yes, I think that is what most people are saying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
What they would need is a surface - Not necessarily a screen, that rests where the Mouse rests. the surface is synched to your System, so when you touch it, it also hits the appropriate tile you are aiming for You would have to be able to "aim" it, so they COULD make these as Small Extensions of the Monitor, iPad-Sized? so when you touch a tile on the screen or surface, it is touched on the screen.

Don't know what they are gonna do about Keyboards, though - Ya still gotta use THOSE. Tough Luck, M$

Ya know, thinking of this - Why NOT make a Mouse/Keyboard system that is on a Tablet? It would satisfy this penchant of M$'s to have nice shiny baubles and huge coloured squares. Just Put the OSK on a Keyboard Sized Tablet which could be used via BT or IR, or maybe even WiFi. Put a Graphic MOUSE on a smaller PADD, that you could attach on either the left of right side of the OSK-Padd.

Eh? Eh? Lets figure out how to make one.

I remember seeing a laptop/tablet that had dual screens in a clamshell like setup. One screen was where your keyboard would be, it didn't have a physical keyboard. Both screens were touch and the lower could display an onscreen keyboard so it appeared to be a laptop. Or you could go dual screen and display programs etc on both displays. I think it was made by ASUS. It looked really nice but was very pricey. Ultrabook plus territory I think.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Touch screen desktops, the new 3d television. Sure they will some in niche markets, but why go touch when you already have devices that work as well as, or better than, a finger coated touchscreen that costs more money?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro and RT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    CPU
    i5 4 core
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7350
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials
Touch screen desktops, the new 3d television. Sure they will some in niche markets, but why go touch when you already have devices that work as well as, or better than, a finger coated touchscreen that costs more money?

Careful..... your logical and rational thoughts fly in the face of marketing convention. :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
I agree with one of you who answered before. I would rather choose a bigger and better monitor over a pricey touchscreen or better yet, some new hardware.

I am planning to have a new Smartphone. I wanted an Android with analog TV in it but that will be a dramatic change for me since I'm using a very old Nokia with Symbian OS. But for a touchscreen PC, maybe I'll pass for now. Its way more practical to invest on something that does more productivity over gimmicks. I don't want a very fancy phone either, I just want something decent that suits my needs.

And I'm still skeptical on touchcreen devices because when they get broke, its no easy task to get them fixed and worse, you may need a new replacement of the whole device itself and its usually not hardware upgrade-able either. This is a far less issue with PC's. Even a lot of phones and tablets won't upgrade to a newer version of Android unless their companies would release some sort of firmware upgrade to make older devices upgradeable to newer versions of Android which something they wouldn't do for the most part, as they would want users to buy their newer devices yet again that come with the latest Android. Its a win for those companies but not so much for users who are a bit stripped of budget who would want the latest flavor of those operating systems on their devices without buying new ones. The PC, by far rules that upgrading ability.

But in spite of so much criticism, way more than Vista, M$ is far too delusioned right now and remains deaf and trying to be numb, too poisoned by the "blue pill" of their own making. They are hoping that 80% of Windows users would be on touch very soon to further justify the existence of Windows 8 now but that figure of 80% is far to exaggerated, at least for the next few years to come. Most companies would refuse costly touchscreen monitors upgrades and most normal users would too, at least on the aspect of PCs. When will M$ take the "red pill"? They should do so very soon, before reality outside their fantasy becomes much uglier when they wake up. Reality may be painful at first but that is only to save oneself from more pain in a grim future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built

View attachment 22757

At my chair height and my desk height, that would be perfect to use tilted down. You look down at the screen, while typing on a keyboard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

View attachment 22757

Hi there
Just wondering if you know of any decent touch monitors that could be either attached to an "Old School Engineering" Drawing board or an equivalent piece of kit that would replace a drawing board -- must be suitable for Architectural standard to scale drawings.

Most of the decent drawing screens I've seen are FAR too small and the large monitors seem to be designed to be stand alone pieces of kit that are meant to be attached to a Wall and used either as per "Cinema" audience - i.e passively or you Stand up facing the monitor which is very tiring if you need to do fine line drawings etc.

Here's how it needs to be used. (Pic of my drawing Board -- "Old school" type). You sit at this using an adjustable height Bar stool (My Beer isn't shown though !!).

Cheers
jimbo
That is literally the reason why I want a touchscreen because my career field I'm going into is architecture. I prefer either sitting down at a drawing easel or standing up if the desk is high enough. Instead of old school drawing, I can possibly do this with touch. Although I may need a T-square for certain drawing apps... :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I have a touch screen phone , a touch screen tablet and a touch screen girlfriend......errrr , oppz shes not on a screen honest , honest you gotta believe me :D

Last thing I want or need is a touch screen laptop (or desktop ) Thanks , but no thanks. I would say **** you Microsoft....but that would be against forum rules I guess ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 X64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571 V2.09
    CPU
    Intel i5 Mobile 3230M
    Motherboard
    Acer EA50_HC_CR Type2
    Memory
    8 Gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000 Mobile
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (15.3"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1378 x 768
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD5000BPVT-22A1YT0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB)
    Cooling
    Standard Acer Laptop
    Keyboard
    Standard Acer Laptop
    Mouse
    Daffodil WMS330 Wireless Optical Mouse 2.4GHz
    Internet Speed
    Fast enough for p0rnz lol
    Browser
    Chrome (Latest Dev build)
    Antivirus
    Avast ~ Free
    Other Info
    Part time idiot and basement dweller ....So when you call me one its true lol.
LOL.

Maybe at some stage everything will come with touchscreens. Maybe MS will subsidise enough to erode the price difference. You don't have to use it - and I expect many won't.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back