Media players cannot connect to file share in Windows 8.1

I have already explained enough, and given you the proper link for Windows 8. I really do not know why you are continuing to drag this out. Just get over it, and put this in your past. No need to argue about something that is a nothing.

Thanks though. I'm not sure either why you can't answer a very simple question. I need to know that since I'm administering windows 8.1 clients.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Sager NP8130
    CPU
    i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Kingston HyperX 2x4GB 1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
    Browser
    Waterfox
    Antivirus
    Trend Micro Titanium
I answered your question. I do not really know why you are dragging something so simple out, to make it so hard to do. If you are administrating clients on a domain, you need to be doing it from the domain server, not from the workstations. If you are doing it on a workgroup with no domain server, you do it from the individual workstations as option one states in the link I posted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.
I answered your question. I do not really know why you are dragging something so simple out, to make it so hard to do. If you are administrating clients on a domain, you need to be doing it from the domain server, not from the workstations. If you are doing it on a workgroup with no domain server, you do it from the individual workstations as option one states in the link I posted.

Like I said, I understand what you mean. The question that you have not answered yet is this:

What is the difference between creating a local account in "local users & groups" versus creating it using option one on the link that you've provided? The latter will make an entry in "local users & groups" so they are doing the exact same process.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP8130
    CPU
    i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
    Browser
    Waterfox
    Antivirus
    Trend Micro Titanium
I have answered your question. Again, it only matters in how the computer is set up. Option two I never use, unless the machine is running Pro, and I want to change certain settings for the user. Otherwise, just use Option one for the majority of the time.

I really do not see why you are making this harder than it actually is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

I have answered your question. Again, it only matters in how the computer is set up. Option two I never use, unless the machine is running Pro, and I want to change certain settings for the user. Otherwise, just use Option one for the majority of the time.

Yes I know that it only exists in Pro and Enterprise. What matters for me is that the end results of any of the methods is exactly the same.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP8130
    CPU
    i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
    Browser
    Waterfox
    Antivirus
    Trend Micro Titanium
I have never had any issues in sharing media with a Microsoft Account.

The thing is you do not use the MS account name as username on your home network. Instead you use a combination of computer name and the user profile name. Notice that the user profile name is never the same than the MS account used for login.

I'll try to explain:

A user called Vladimir Obama sets Windows 8.1 up using his MS account vladimir.obama@AnEmailService.com and uses these credentials to log in to Windows. He has named the computer as VladsMonsterRig. The system creates a user profile for Vladimir in C:\Users\Vladimir. For all Windows networking purposes this user is now \\VladsMonsterRig\Vladimir, the password being the same Vladimir has for his MS account.

Whenever the networking now requires this user to enter his credentials, Vladimir gives them as follows:

• User: \\VladsMonsterRig\Vladimir
  • Password: The MS account password

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.

Yes I know that it only exists in Pro and Enterprise. What matters for me is that the end results of any of the methods is exactly the same.[/QUOTE]Again, the link states what needs to be done, so I do not know why you keep asking the same thing over, doubting the information.

As for Kari's post, that is how SMB looks at the login credentials. Which has been the standard since Windows 98. Again, you are over thinking something that is really simple.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

Why can't you use a Microsoft account?

Over a year ago, on the Windows 8 system, I moved all of my pictures, documents and movies. On it, I used a outlook.com account and a live.com account on the same system. I have shared my libraries with my other computers, my wife's computer and the Xbox. All with no problem whatsoever. I can see each email address on the Xbox or from windows media player on the PCs. I can browse each user's libraries. Both of the accounts are administrators.

When you say it doesn't recognize the email address format of the account, what do you mean? What media players are you trying to use?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel I-7 860
    Motherboard
    Asus P7B
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 580
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer (Primary), Asus (secondary), Sony TV (third)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Kingston 128GB SSD Windows 8 Boot Drive
    WD Black 1 TB (2 ea)
    WD Red 3 TB
    WD Black 500GB
    Keyboard
    MS 1000
    Mouse
    MS Flip
    Internet Speed
    Verizon FIOS 35/35
    Browser
    IE 11, Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari
    Antivirus
    Windows 8 Defender (MS Security Essentials)
OldGuyGeek, some third party software does not like to use the Live account for network credentials. That is why you have to still use the Local account. Even with the work around that Kari posted, some third party software does not even like that way to log in. That is what the problem the OP is having.

SMB/Samba still has not been fixed for this issue. You have to use the way that Kari posted, to get around the issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

Yes I know that it only exists in Pro and Enterprise. What matters for me is that the end results of any of the methods is exactly the same.
Again, the link states what needs to be done, so I do not know why you keep asking the same thing over, doubting the information.

As for Kari's post, that is how SMB looks at the login credentials. Which has been the standard since Windows 98. Again, you are over thinking something that is really simple.[/QUOTE]

Why can't you understand that I'm not making it hard for all of us. I was asking you if using the local users and groups account would have the same results as using the method that you mentioned. You could've just said yes and be done with it but instead you kept on saying you don't recommend it, etc., etc. without even answering "why" you don't.

Let's get past this and just move on. We're just wasting time in this argument. Simply put, they do provide the same results. Let's just agree to disagree.

The thing is you do not use the MS account name as username on your home network. Instead you use a combination of computer name and the user profile name. Notice that the user profile name is never the same than the MS account used for login.

I'll try to explain:

A user called Vladimir Obama sets Windows 8.1 up using his MS account vladimir.obama@AnEmailService.com and uses these credentials to log in to Windows. He has named the computer as VladsMonsterRig. The system creates a user profile for Vladimir in C:\Users\Vladimir. For all Windows networking purposes this user is now \\VladsMonsterRig\Vladimir, the password being the same Vladimir has for his MS account.

Whenever the networking now requires this user to enter his credentials, Vladimir gives them as follows:

Kari

I did not know that. I thought that's just for accessing the shared folder (UNC). I'll give that a try.

Why can't you use a Microsoft account?

Over a year ago, on the Windows 8 system, I moved all of my pictures, documents and movies. On it, I used a outlook.com account and a live.com account on the same system. I have shared my libraries with my other computers, my wife's computer and the Xbox. All with no problem whatsoever. I can see each email address on the Xbox or from windows media player on the PCs. I can browse each user's libraries. Both of the accounts are administrators.

When you say it doesn't recognize the email address format of the account, what do you mean? What media players are you trying to use?

I'm using Popcorn Hour and X3d media player.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP8130
    CPU
    i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
    Browser
    Waterfox
    Antivirus
    Trend Micro Titanium
OldGuyGeek, some third party software does not like to use the Live account for network credentials. That is why you have to still use the Local account. Even with the work around that Kari posted, some third party software does not even like that way to log in. That is what the problem the OP is having.

SMB/Samba still has not been fixed for this issue. You have to use the way that Kari posted, to get around the issue.

Understood, but that's why I asked what he was using. Just because a particular program has trouble with accessing features, doesn't mean you start modifying rights or using a different account. If you continue to use software that doesn't perform as expected, you end up with software that eventually becomes harder and harder to make it work. Another patch from the OS may make all your work for naught until the software provides an update. Your point with SMB/Samba is a good example of that. I'm sure they will update it eventually, but then you have this group of users who have gone to extraordinary lengths to get the feature set they want.

I also get that he may like a certain program and doesn't want to change. But when a program doesn't meet the standards in an OS, then it's usually time to find one that does.

As a developer, I never try to give people a feature or construct a work-around because it just leads to headaches for both the user and the developer. I have stuff that's been running for over 10 years because it used the standards required by the OS at the time. When the OS manufacturer changes something, they usually (not always) have legacy support for the old methods. That way, the developer doesn't have to make many patches and gets VERY few customer complaints.

Take Fraps for example. It used some calls that were dependent on the Aero functionality. But Fraps never got updated for Windows 8, even after 2 years. People still buy it, but even after the developer promised to update it, nothing. Not since February 2013. There are now plenty of screen capturing programs out there that work with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

IMHO, then it's time to find a piece of software that has the features you want, works under the OS and is supported. Usually you can find one that is very close to the software that doesn't work.

All that being said, I agree with kevindd992002. Let's just agree to disagree. What's important, is if Kari's solution worked for kevindd992002. If the combination of system (or server name) and user name works with the software that he's using. Hopefully, it should. That login scenario is the default behavior for years, whether you are on Windows or other OS. Hopefully all he has to do is enter the server name before the user name.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel I-7 860
    Motherboard
    Asus P7B
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 580
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer (Primary), Asus (secondary), Sony TV (third)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Kingston 128GB SSD Windows 8 Boot Drive
    WD Black 1 TB (2 ea)
    WD Red 3 TB
    WD Black 500GB
    Keyboard
    MS 1000
    Mouse
    MS Flip
    Internet Speed
    Verizon FIOS 35/35
    Browser
    IE 11, Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari
    Antivirus
    Windows 8 Defender (MS Security Essentials)

I'll try to explain:

Kari

I just tried this method but unfortunately it still doesn't work :(

Are you sure it isn't supposed to be just VladsMonsterRig\Vladimir for the username? If it's just that then that makes sense, as your specifying the domain to be the local computer name. I know that method of authenticating way way back. But the instructions you posted above where you specified "\\" in front, that I never knew because you only usually use that when accessing a UNC path.

EDIT: It got past the password protected sharing authentication part when I used the VladsMonsterRig\Vladimir which I expected. At the folder security authentication level though, it doesn't want to accept the same credentials.

But when I log on to the password protected sharing authentication level using the local account, it goes through just fine and doesn't even ask me for the folder security authentication level as I assume that it uses the same account I just typed in.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP8130
    CPU
    i7-2670QM
    Memory