Media Center is a Desktop Apps ????

Wow that sucks I was expecting something that looks different or at least updated. On my windows 7 the media player has a bug and the visualization is cut off or something (forgot I have it saved) and it's so irritating that they haven't updated windows media player.

finally someone who understand me.....lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
I must admit I was surprised they didn't do anything to differentiate it as well, but I guess given that the initial plan was to just not include it at all we should be thankful they bothered?

Honestly though since I have been using Windows 8 for the last few months I decided to give XBMC a chance again, and after quite a bit of fiddly configuration I would never go back to Media Center again, not even with MediaBrowser installed, XBMC is just so much better in every regard... and is finally getting some DVR love!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM Build 9200
    CPU
    Intel i5 2500k
    Motherboard
    EVGA Z68 SLI
    Memory
    8gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX660 Ti
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Sony 46" HDTV and Dell 22" Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    6TB
    Case
    Fractal Designs Define R4
    Mouse
    Razer Naga
It's not really surprising at all. In fact, Microsoft was originally going to deprecate media center. They were going to get rid of it all together, but they received a lot of feedback that people still wanted it. This is why they made it an add-on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I'm happy the way it is. I just want to be able to record shows. I don't need all the bells and whistles. I dumped cable 4 years ago and very satisfied with Media Center as my DVR.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    AcerAspire ME600
    CPU
    Core i5 Quad-Core CPU Speed 3330 (3GHz)
    Motherboard
    North Bridge Chipset Intel B75 Express
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 2500
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio with 5.1-channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hewlett-Packard SmartBuy LV1911 18.5" LED Backlit LCD Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x768
    Hard Drives
    1 TB (Terabyte) SATA hard drive.
    PSU
    300W
    Other Info
    This is my living room PC with Media Center. Not a gamer.
It's not really surprising at all. In fact, Microsoft was originally going to deprecate media center. They were going to get rid of it all together, but they received a lot of feedback that people still wanted it. This is why they made it an add-on.

finally someone who may have THE good reason.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
We all know why it is still there, and that they don't really care about it.
I simply meant I was surprised they didn't change ANYTHING, its a massive missed opportunity to slap a more metro feel on it (especially odd given that Media Center was one of their first apps to have something resembling what Metro is now)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM Build 9200
    CPU
    Intel i5 2500k
    Motherboard
    EVGA Z68 SLI
    Memory
    8gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX660 Ti
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Sony 46" HDTV and Dell 22" Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    6TB
    Case
    Fractal Designs Define R4
    Mouse
    Razer Naga
I was surprise too, it's why I start the tread, another sign that MS really cut some corners with Windows 8

here other examples :

1- the Task Manager don't show properlly 8 cores AMD CPU
2- The Windows 7 files recovery ( was too lazy to change the title)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
WMC8 is not the same as WMC7. It's pretty much similar in terms of features and the interface.

But it's more responsive than before. The Internet streaming stuff is now gone (no more CBS streaming for example). Setup is more streamlined and faster. I have 4 tuners in my system. With Windows 7, I could go take a break while it scans all the channels. Windows 8, it's much faster.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Why would anyone use media center anyway....??? There are way better media players out there.

because other media players can't use TV tuners or are terrible at it. other media players are terrible at scheduling. other media players can't stream to the Xbox. other media players aren't good with remote controls.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
They definitely should not discontinue it. They could be working on marketing their media department a bit more. They should be updating it with both metro and desktop updates. Adding new features and reworking the look of it. I'm sure there are changes but probably not big enough for an update that was this long apart. They focus so much effort on bing which is nice but media is also important. I mean for most casual users it's basically internet/media consumption. It's great they've done their best with xbox but what about music/video/other media? There are definitely a lot of other players but most casual users will not be searching online for another media player. If they create a convincing program they will definitely be able to reel in users and such. It's a missed opportunity for them. Not everyone is going to be using the metro. Even if I got a windows 8 I would spend all my time on the desktop because that's how I do my work. I would not be using a metro media player because it's just awkward unless I'm in the metro touch side of things. They need to rework things so that there is a program that is used on the desktop and on the tablet but built with those different interfaces in mind.

My Computer

They definitely should not discontinue it. They could be working on marketing their media department a bit more. They should be updating it with both metro and desktop updates. Adding new features and reworking the look of it. I'm sure there are changes but probably not big enough for an update that was this long apart. They focus so much effort on bing which is nice but media is also important. I mean for most casual users it's basically internet/media consumption. It's great they've done their best with xbox but what about music/video/other media? There are definitely a lot of other players but most casual users will not be searching online for another media player. If they create a convincing program they will definitely be able to reel in users and such. It's a missed opportunity for them. Not everyone is going to be using the metro. Even if I got a windows 8 I would spend all my time on the desktop because that's how I do my work. I would not be using a metro media player because it's just awkward unless I'm in the metro touch side of things. They need to rework things so that there is a program that is used on the desktop and on the tablet but built with those different interfaces in mind.

One thing is clear, and that is, Microsoft does not think the way you do. The HTPC is a failed experiment in their eye, and Xbox in the living room and touch devices for everything else are the future. Nothing would be more surprising than for Microsoft to revive Media Center or something like it (10' interface, CableCARD support, etc) at this point. It's almost unimaginable. I say that as a Media Center user for DVR since 2006 and CableCARD since 2011.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
Back