I've come to a realization . . . .

Well, that's somewhat unlikely, I think car manufacturers are required to keep stock of parts for 10 years, and it's likely a third party will supply the for at least a decade after that.. but eventually, yeah.

It's an urban myth that car manufacturers are required to keep parts in stock for 10 years. They have to be able to supply parts during the warranty period but they can get them from third party vendors.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
I don't know of any school that allows in-class computers to randomly surf facebook and youtube. They typically firewall the heck out those PC's, and only allow the installed software.

The school where I teach my classes is a high school and you can get to YouTube, Facebook, Skype and all those other distracting sites.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
So many people today think of computers only as a means to an end -- the thing they use to DO something. If they use a computer to watch a movie, it's not about the computer-- it's about the movie. If they use it to play a game, it's about the game. No matter what they do, it's NEVER about the computer. They don't think of "computers" as a subject, or as a thing to learn about or to know about.

Sure, you can use a computer without knowing what goes on inside it. And you can drive a car without understanding its internals too. But at least everybody knows that there IS such a thing as learning how a car works, and that there ARE auto mechanics and manufacturers, and that there would be no cars without them, and that it's a subject that you CAN study and make good use of the knowledge. With a computer, some people seem to think that it's just a thing that works by itself, and that nobody knows how it works, or needs to. That's what MAGIC is, but that's not what technology is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP 23-D030
I got a new car in November. What a disaster. It has 2 screens with a gezillion settings plus about 50 switches on the dash. The manual is 520 pages - even the manual for just the radio is 120 pages. And I don't even have a navigation system. For that I use my tablet.

The manual for my 1979 BMW was about 100 pages and explained things like how to adjust the brakes.

Not long ago I was renting a new Nissan and the manual was like yours, the size of a phone book. I had that car for two weeks and never did figure out how everything worked.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
So many people today think of computers only as a means to an end -- the thing they use to DO something. If they use a computer to watch a movie, it's not about the computer-- it's about the movie. If they use it to play a game, it's about the game. No matter what they do, it's NEVER about the computer. They don't think of "computers" as a subject, or as a thing to learn about or to know about.

Sure, you can use a computer without knowing what goes on inside it. And you can drive a car without understanding its internals too. But at least everybody knows that there IS such a thing as learning how a car works, and that there ARE auto mechanics and manufacturers, and that there would be no cars without them, and that it's a subject that you CAN study and make good use of the knowledge. With a computer, some people seem to think that it's just a thing that works by itself, and that nobody knows how it works, or needs to. That's what MAGIC is, but that's not what technology is.

Right on point Dragon Drop. It's not necessary for anyone to know the workings of a computer or how to repair it. If they buy it to have fun on and have the money to take it to a shop when it's broke. That's what a computer is all about to most people.
It would be terrible if everyone needed to know how things work and repair them before being allowed to purchase them. Phones, TVs, Wii's, laundry machines, cars.

-CokeRobot mentioned paralleled parking. If people have a hard time with that, they should try it with a semi truck & armstrong steering. By the time I got a tractor with power steering I was good at it. Power steering messed me up for awhile until I quit oversteering.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
It's not necessary for anyone to know the workings of a computer or how to repair it.

In that case, "those people" shouldn't complain about malware getting onto their computers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
"I fear the day when thetechnology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation ofidiots."

Albert Einstein

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
It's not necessary for anyone to know the workings of a computer or how to repair it.

In that case, "those people" shouldn't complain about malware getting onto their computers.

around here most don't ,they just go to local computer repair guy and pay 25-50 $ to have windows reinstalled

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
We call that the ignorance tax.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Imagine how you'd feel if you booted 8 for the first time and it was identical to 7... is that what you really want?

I also like having the clutch on the left, brake in the middle and gas on the right. If I got into a car and those three things were in different places, I wouldn't like that at all. I guess I am an old fogey.

One of the things that you learn as you age is that change for the sake of change is rarely a good thing and that evolution is usually better than revolution. New isn't always better. VHS wasn't really better than Beta. HDMI isn't the bestest thing ever. The disc camera was not better than the Instamatic.

Then I guess you won't like automatically driven cars.
Standards are the devil.
They make you "expect" something.
It just makes your mind dull.
If everything was different, user manuals would make a difference.
People would actually probably learn to use google properly.
And most of all, they would learn to conform to technology, instead of needing it to conform to them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Custom Built
    CPU
    i5-3570K
    Motherboard
    GA-Z77X-UD3H
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte nVidia GTX 660 Ti
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2TB Western Digital Caviar Green
    PSU
    XFX PRO750W 80Plus Silver
    Case
    Fractal R4
    Cooling
    Stock Fan :3
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 5000
    Mouse
    Logitech G9x
    Internet Speed
    ~30Mbits
The sideways scrolling takes about 10 seconds max to get use to. I'm not sure why people have so much difficulty with such simple tasks.

It's quite hilarious.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
The sideways scrolling takes about 10 seconds max to get use to. I'm not sure why people have so much difficulty with such simple tasks.

It's quite hilarious.

No one has difficulty with the scrolling, many simply don't like it; however, some do have difficulty understanding that it's not everyone's cup of tea. That's quite sad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Imagine how you'd feel if you booted 8 for the first time and it was identical to 7... is that what you really want?

I also like having the clutch on the left, brake in the middle and gas on the right. If I got into a car and those three things were in different places, I wouldn't like that at all. I guess I am an old fogey.

One of the things that you learn as you age is that change for the sake of change is rarely a good thing and that evolution is usually better than revolution. New isn't always better. VHS wasn't really better than Beta. HDMI isn't the bestest thing ever. The disc camera was not better than the Instamatic.

Then I guess you won't like automatically driven cars.
Standards are the devil.
They make you "expect" something.
It just makes your mind dull.
If everything was different, user manuals would make a difference.
People would actually probably learn to use google properly.
And most of all, they would learn to conform to technology, instead of needing it to conform to them.

Hi there

(@BarnbasSackett -- the position of those pedals will depend on which country you drive in -- unless you subscribe to the theory you pay your road / fuel tax to use THE WHOLE ROAD road not just ONE HALF of it). :cry:

if you've ever been to Paris you will appreciate Metro line 14 which is 100% automatic -- and one of the busiest line 1 is being converted for automatic working too.

The French are prone to striking at the drop of a hat so having these automatic lines relatively "Strike proof" is a welcome relief to anybody relying on the Metro to get them around. The trains are 100% automatic -- not a driver in sight and NOBODY has any problem whatsoever about using these.

The British have a similar system on the Docklands Light Railway in the East of London - although apparently to "re-assure" passengers there is a "Train conductor" on board -- but there's no drivers.

I do though hate the gradual removal in Supermarkets of "Human Checkouts" being replaced by those impersonal scanning machines -- half the fun in a Supermarket is a bit of banter with the assistants which they like too. For some people this is the ONLY personal contact they get during the week - the rest of the time they are speaking to "Virtual friends" on facebook etc.

So automation is a two edged sword - yes it has its place but like most technology we should be careful where it's going.

Can you imagine say a Roman Catholic church providing a "Virtual Mass" or a Mosque doing the same thing. (Actually one of the most pleasant experiences I have had - and I'm not religious in any way - was going into an old UK Cathedral in Salisbury and listening to Choral Evensong -- these are the best FREE classical concerts to be had anywhere -- not only was the choir absolutely first class but you got that experience you simply couldn't get by listening at home no matter how good your equipment).

I was there during a BBC recording -- it was FIRST CLASS

BBC Radio 3 - Choral Evensong, Salisbury Cathedral

So let's keep "Hi tech" in its place -- use where appropriate but don't let it RULE US.

Anyway back to the point

If you don't like scrolling -- simply press from the desktop the Windows Key + X and a little popup appears - now you can press search and get your program without doing ANY scrolling at all.

W8 does have some problems -- the whole METRO idea is rubbish for desktop type users who need a load of concurrent windows and are using two or more monitors - but in general the complaints against W8 are GROSSLY overdone and with a little bit of fiddling around you can make it look and work almost exactly like W7 -- and don't kid yourselves about the old menu either -- these could get very large too and difficult to navigate.

Enc shot of the Windows + X menu popup.

cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• minimenu.png
    minimenu.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 151

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

It's quite hilarious.

No one has difficulty with the scrolling, many simply don't like it; however, some do have difficulty understanding that it's not everyone's cup of tea. That's quite sad.

The OP said he had issues with it. I just can't understand how it's 'not someone's cup of tea'. It's scrolling. You just use a mouse wheel and scroll. Whether it's left and right or up and down, what's the matter?

"Oh no my screen is moving left to right! I must tell everyone how disjointed the Windows 8 experience is!"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro

It's quite hilarious.

The OP said he had issues with it. I just can't understand how it's 'not someone's cup of tea'. It's scrolling. You just use a mouse wheel and scroll. Whether it's left and right or up and down, what's the matter?

"Oh no my screen is moving left to right! I must tell everyone how disjointed the Windows 8 experience is!"

Right on, Ruwanwij! :thumb: It does get quite trivial at times, doesn't it?

Welcome to Eight Forums, BTW. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling