It’s like Windows 8, minus the bad bits

A Windows 8 user's view on Linux Mint:

Although I currently use Windows 8 as my daily driver due to better game and CableCard support, I have followed Mint releases since version 11 Katya, and have continually been impressed by how fast each new Mint release runs on my system. In that respect, version 14 does not disappoint at all. There are a couple of minor quirks with Mint 14, but overall I came away highly impressed with the new release. And with Steam and Netflix — two of the three major barriers to me switching to Linux Mint full-time — now working on Linux, the future is looking bright for the open-source operating system. I dual-booted the new Linux Mint distribution to test drive it, and after using it all day (and to write this article) I will be keeping it installed alongside Windows 8, and I heartily recommend you try it out for yourself.

Linux Mint 14 released: It’s like Windows 8, minus the bad bits | ExtremeTech

We live in interesting times.

There is definitely a ton of potential in Linux and I'm sure with Valve backing it strongly now, there will be even further developments. "Free" is a very strong motivator. The thing is, I don't see Linux going mainstream for a very long time. The only way it can possibly compete is to be an option for pre-built computers. While we do see Linux in stores in some products, the ratio is almost completely one-sided. We've seen what happened with 8 and because of a lack of a tutorial, many were confused. With Linux, it would definitely be worse in that aspect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
Hard to tell what will happen.

The big oem's already kick in a little $500 k each to the linux foundation.

That helps to develop their mobile offerings.

It isn't impossible they could multiply that by ten - and support development of an alternative full scale o/s.

It would be a great benefit to them at very little cost.

They have seen the public gobbling up the Android variants. No reason why they shouldn't do the same with a bigger o/s - if it is tailored better.
The only way it can possibly compete is to be an option for pre-built computers.

Seems to me that is the way forward for Linux desktop - it really needs to come pre installed on a decent proportion of oem machines if it is to gain any traction.

Now is the time. MS have left themselves wide open for attack . Not literally next week - but in the next year or so.

That is also why I am wondering what Timmy Cook is thinking.

It's issues with dual monitor support, some drivers etc that show that Linux isn't quite there yet, but I have a feeling that things are going to change and the way that Microsoft appears to be heading, may be the catalyst for that necessary change.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
.Seems to me that is the way forward for Linux desktop - it really needs to come pre installed on a decent proportion of oem machines if it is to gain any traction.

Now is the time. MS have left themselves wide open for attack . Not literally next week - but in the next year or so.

That is also why I am wondering what Timmy Cook is thinking.

Wow, like wow, I thought this was just a battle, this is starting to sound like World War 3. The peasants are revolting, really revolting :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
One thing to always bear in mind with the Linux distributions is that the hardware vendors often don't lift one little finger to provide Linux driver support. Most things have to be reverse engineered and figured out. However, on the Windows front, these devices are designed for and drivers are provided by the manufacturer. So, before people try out Linux distros and such, it's always wise to plan out your PC build ahead of time to work with manufacturers who actually do provide driver support for their hardware. It always makes success with Linux a bit more of a possibility.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Nothing to do with peasants.

Unless that is what you call Tim Cook and the masters at Linux Foundation.

Obviously, if a previously dominant player has caused dislike/confusion/hesitation in the market, then it is a good time for others to move in.

That is in general, not just in computing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
One thing to always bear in mind with the Linux distributions is that the hardware vendors often don't lift one little finger to provide Linux driver support. Most things have to be reverse engineered and figured out. However, on the Windows front, these devices are designed for and drivers are provided by the manufacturer. So, before people try out Linux distros and such, it's always wise to plan out your PC build ahead of time to work with manufacturers who actually do provide driver support for their hardware. It always makes success with Linux a bit more of a possibility.

If M$ creates enough distrust with OEMs then we may get drivers for other OS. Without good drivers for Linux written by manufactures we do not get the full use of the hardware in Linux.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
If M$ creates enough distrust with OEMs then we may get drivers for other OS. Without good drivers for Linux written by manufactures we do not get the full use of the hardware in Linux.
I agree, but when people say, "Linux just isn't there yet", this is always the first thing that comes to mind.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Nothing to do with peasants.

Unless that is what you call Tim Cook and the masters at Linux Foundation.

Obviously, if a previously dominant player has caused dislike/confusion/hesitation in the market, then it is a good time for others to move in.

That is in general, not just in computing.

Only kidding really, I'm glad there's a bit of competition, I've used Linux and don't mind it, trouble is, it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't you have to learn a new language. I use Android and IOS, trouble is they're not Windows, especially Windows 8.

I can understand how some people feel about Windows 8, but to me it's all about connectivity and sharing networking etc, Windows 8 on PCs, tablets and phones will bring all this together. I'm even going to sign up for Office 365 for a while just to see how it all connects, I just wish it would have come out when I was younger so I could get more use out of it and Skydrive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Yeah, 'it either works or it doesn't'. I guess that's why this forum has so many sections for people seeking help?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Yeah, 'it either works or it doesn't'. I guess that's why this forum has so many sections for people seeking help?

You should get out more Ray, every OS has its problems, all forums are full of people with problems, there are people who can't operate a TV remote.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'll soon get Bill to agree that complaints made about Windows 8 are more than justified.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I'll soon get Bill to agree that complaints made about Windows 8 are more than justified.

Yes as soon as the Antarctic melts.

And thus is revealed his utter belief that Windows 8 is perfect and anyone that does not think so is 'doing it wrong'.

As once stated by Bill, 'It's not what Windows 8 can do for you, but what you can do for Windows 8.'

My Computer

System One

• OS

Yes as soon as the Antarctic melts.

And thus is revealed his utter belief that Windows 8 is perfect and anyone that does not think so is 'doing it wrong'.

As once stated by Bill, 'It's not what Windows 8 can do for you, but what you can do for Windows 8.'

Ive never said it was perfect, I've always said its the way forward, did I really say that, cool.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back