Is Windows 10 Good To Upgrade To?

My experience is very much like Manters’.

I "upgraded" my desktop and laptop to Windows 10 Pro on the day of release and spent the next 4 months trying to convince myself that it was an improvement on Win 8.1. Being English and relatively old, I am very much towards the share nothing end of the spectrum and it took me a while to overcome all the risks that MS had deliberately built into the OS and achieve an acceptable (to me anyway) level of privacy and security. Soon after I had done that, a couple of third party apps were released that would have done the job for me. Good for whoever wrote them; but you really shouldn’t need to install apps to achieve a reasonable level of privacy.

I never really came to terms with the new windows update and MS’s determination not to allow users the same control over updates as in earlier OSes. I didn't use Cortana, because I refused to have a machine listing to everything that happened in my home just in case I want to ask it about tomorrow's weather. Edge wasn't that great because of its lack of apps and it wasn't that fast anyway. Virtual desktops? Didn't use them. The new UI? Since I only ever used it in full screen mode, the return of the start menu was no big deal for me and anyway I preferred Win 8.1’s lateral scrolling.

Quite early on I started routinely getting BSODs citing VIDEO TDR FAILURE, which I eventually found were caused by some incompatibility between Windows 10 and my Nvidia drivers (even the updated ones). The last straw was when the so-called Windows 10 Fall Update uninstalled a couple of my programs and reverted some of the privacy settings to the original unsafe settings without permission or prior warning. At that point I asked myself what I was getting out of this deal and the answer was, not a lot.

So last week I decided to come home to Win 8.1 Pro. It was a pain, because I had to reinstall everything from scratch; but it was so worth the effort. Now I don't feel as if I am going into battle with my computer every time I log on: once again I feel in control. (That isn't entirely true. I do have to watch out for MS trying to sneak the Windows 10 installation files on to my pc; but there's an app to stop that too.)

By all means give Windows 10 a try; but having used it for 4 months, I don’t think there is anything MS could do that would persuade me to try it again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I refused to have a machine listing to everything that happened in my home just in case I want to ask it about tomorrow's weather.

That's because you already know which way the wind blows.
thumbsup-thumbs-up-approve-ok-smiley-emoticon-000283-facebook.gif

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satelite C55D-A Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Raedon 340 MB dedicated Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
I refused to have a machine listing to everything that happened in my home just in case I want to ask it about tomorrow's weather.

That's because you already know which way the wind blows.
thumbsup-thumbs-up-approve-ok-smiley-emoticon-000283-facebook.gif

True enough, you don't need a weatherman.....

I see the typo gremlins were at work earlier, although, on my rickety desk, my computer would have been listing even as it listened. ;)

Seriously, though, MS's direction of travel with Windows 10 ought to give people pause to think about where they might end up. They could find themselves locked into an OS that they wouldn't have touched with a barge-pole, if they had known what it would ultimately turn into.

I've given myself the option of changing my mind, by placing discrete partitions on my desktop and laptop, which contain system images of Windows 10 installations activated with my original Win 8 serial numbers. If I ever need to, I can use the images to get back to Windows 10 without having to pay for the privilege. I doubt I'll need them though.

If I was moving to Windows 10 now for the first time, I would save a system image of my existing installation, reinstall Win 8.1 on a separate partition on the same hard drive, using the same serial number, and upgrade that installation to Windows 10. Reverting to Windows 8.1 using the system image would be far simpler than reinstalling the OS from scratch. You just need to be able to sacrifice 60GB of your hard drive space, until you finally make up your mind that you want to stay with Windows 10 permanently.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
USB sticks are finally getting cheap. I have a nice AData 128GB USB 3.0 stick. 100MB/s read 50MB/s write max. I think I paid nearly $70 for it. Now you can get the same stick for about $43 shipped if you live in the contiguous 48 U S of A. I use Macrium Reflect to do incremental backup images onto it.

It is not the fastest stick but the s102 has a metal body that is pretty rugged. I carried the 32GB version around in my pocket and it took my 200+ LBS without cracking. The little tab fell off the back but it would glue right back on if I wasn't too lazy to buy some glue. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Raedon 340 MB dedicated Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
A lot of the variation in people's experience with Windows 10 is down to drivers.

If the OEM/ hardware manufacturer has written updated Windows 10 drivers for your hardware, then Windows 10 generally works well. If you're trying to use older drivers then you may be lucky or you may not.

I would always start by taking a full backup as mentioned earlier though.

My experience with older and slower hardware (with some old drivers where I can't find updates) is that Windows 8.1 is solid and stable, but Windows 10 isn't quite so stable on very similar hardware. Startup is slower to populate the taskbar etc. and every so often I'll try to open some app or software which tries to open but then closes again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
I updated to Win10 and got intermittent screen flickering which was eventually traced to an updated BIOS required from Lenovo. In the meantime I had reverted back to 8.1 with classicshell. Being a masochist I upgraded again and all was okay although I couldn't see what the fuss was about - the latest and greatest marketing junk from MS. Then after a couple of weeks the laptop started freezing intermittently - was it an auto update? No idea and frankly not interested. You can own the most expensive car in the road but if it doesn't start on a cold morning then it's not worth pennies IMO.

Tried to revert back to 8.1 and even though I hadn't deleted the old 8.1 backup files created when 10 was installed and was well within the 4 week deadline - it was a no no situation. So had to do a complete system restore from the hidden partition - plus all the updates then eventually got 8.1 offered. So that's where I'm going to stay.

Whether it was one of those auto updates that caused the problem I have no idea but until there are real world benefits (for me) then I'll stay as I am. If I had a choice I'd upgrade this laptop to Win7 as per my desktop but there are no 7 drivers available.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
I've been running W10 from a week after the TP came out, since then I have upgraded three pc's with only a few hiccups. I still have W7and 8.1. W10 is closer to 8.1 than it is to 7 but you can get used to it. The Edge browser promises to be more secure than IE11. If in doubt, I recommend that you hold off till next summer when 10 will have had more time to mature.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win7 64
    CPU
    athlon2x2 240e
    Motherboard
    asus m4a87td evo
    Memory
    2x4gb ddr3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    ati 5670
By all means give Windows 10 a try; but having used it for 4 months, I don’t think there is anything MS could do that would persuade me to try it again.

I spent the early months of the Technical Preview (at that time it was just like Windows 8.2 to be honest). I went back and tried the 10240 build, and even though it boots quickly, I just think Windows 8.1 runs better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Two Intel Xeon Core2 Quad 3.2 GHz Processors
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia Quadro FX 3800 PCI-E
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 4x3 Flat Screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    Two Seagate Cheetah 300 GB SAS Disks
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    HP xw8600 Workstation Case
    Cooling
    Two CPU Fans and a Larger Case Fan
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Browser
    Firefox ESR 102
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Two LSI 3000 SAS Adapters
There are many issues with Windows 10 and I'm unconvinced by Microsoft's lax QA standards. I would wait a while longer before upgrading - we have until July 2016 to get the free upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Build
    CPU
    Intel i3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-77X-UD5H
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9 280X Toxic
    Sound Card
    Realtek on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VP2770
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Intel 520 180GB SSD
    Seagate 2T HDD
    Seagate external 1T USB HDD
    PSU
    XFX 850W
    Case
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    50Mbps
    Browser
    Chrome
The Windows 10 offer popped up on my screen about once a week. A few weeks ago, when closing my laptop lid in a hurry, or something similar, I must have accidentally clicked on accepting the Windows 10 offer, because before I knew it; it was loading up. I didn't want to shut the computer down in midstream of this, as who knows if that would have screwed both the new and old OSs up. I hadn't done a proper recent backup; but there was no good way to stop it I know of.

It's been OK for a while, but I just found my Start Menu doesn't work. I'm off to the Windows10 forum to see if anybody knows how I can get that working.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo IdeaPad N580
    CPU
    Intel 960
    Memory
    4GB
The Windows 10 offer popped up on my screen about once a week. A few weeks ago, when closing my laptop lid in a hurry, or something similar, I must have accidentally clicked on accepting the Windows 10 offer, because before I knew it; it was loading up. I didn't want to shut the computer down in midstream of this, as who knows if that would have screwed both the new and old OSs up. I hadn't done a proper recent backup; but there was no good way to stop it I know of.

It's been OK for a while, but I just found my Start Menu doesn't work. I'm off to the Windows10 forum to see if anybody knows how I can get that working.

The good news is the hardware ID of your computer is now registered with Microsoft's servers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
If you have trouble getting it to work you can try replacing it with the free version of Start Menu 10

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3