Introducing Outlook.com, the successor to hotmail.com

Tks for the response. Unfortunately it doesn't do the trick. When I select outlook.com, I am already logged back in again!

Technically Outlook.com is simply a different means of accessing your email account. It will still link to the account that's logged in.

Get your wife to use a different browser, or set up her own account on the computer.

If you use Google Chrome, you can set up different browser profiles for you and your wife.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
Wish I understood what you meant! Aren't all email clients a means of accessing your account? Point is I was trying to avoid logging in to my account. Anyway, I finally did it. I was visiting my son and used his computer. He has no live account so I was able to open a new username for my wife who, incidentally, also has a live account..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
I like the new look. Already have a live.com account so I just created an alias to get a outlook.com address. I could also have just "converted" my existing live.com address to an outlook.com one, but since all my MS log-ins, including TechNet use the live.com one I am a bit nervous about screwing that all up :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell E520
    CPU
    Intel Q6700 Core 2 Quad - 2.66 GHz
    Motherboard
    Whatever Dell put in there...
    Memory
    8 GB Mushkin 800 MHz DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GTX 650 - 2 GB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 19" ViewSonic LCD's
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    1 Intel X25-M 120G SSD, 2 WD RE4 2TB HD's
    PSU
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 500 Watt
    Internet Speed
    100/10 Time Warner Cable
Wish I understood what you meant! Aren't all email clients a means of accessing your account? Point is I was trying to avoid logging in to my account. Anyway, I finally did it. I was visiting my son and used his computer. He has no live account so I was able to open a new username for my wife who, incidentally, also has a live account..

Technically hotmail.com and outlook.com are the same "email client," but with a different theme. Once Microsoft is sure that the Outlook.com theme works fine, they will eventually discontinue the hotmail.com theme.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
I like the new look. Already have a live.com account so I just created an alias to get a outlook.com address. I could also have just "converted" my existing live.com address to an outlook.com one, but since all my MS log-ins, including TechNet use the live.com one I am a bit nervous about screwing that all up :)

Exactly. That is my problem. I would hate to go through the rigmarole of communication again with technet, to regain access to my account - particularly now, with Windows 8 RTM imminent!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
I tried outlook.com last night from my Windows 7 machine and I like it. It looks a lot like Outlook 2013. Overall performance seems to be pretty snappy. I did not have to change my hotmail e-mail address.

For professional stuff including TechNet I use a "passport.com" address linked to my work e-mail address. The latter has changed over time but I have never had any problem logging in to one of the Microsoft sites where I use "passport.com" and changing the real e-mail behind that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
There may be some differences in use here.
The point I was making was that, previously, I had a "Live" log in. I also had a quite separate Hotmail log in. I used the latter for registering on sites where I preferred to remain a little more anonymous. With the new "Outlook" I have found that they have become merged. Whichever log in I use, I am redirected to my Live log in. It isn't a big deal. There are many non MS sources where I can create a separate Email address.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
Hi there
I also have a "different" account so for example when I buy something from Amazon.com I don't keep getting pestered with "Offers for things you can't possibly do without". All this spam just gets deleted. It's useful actually having a junk email account -- just forward the 2 or 3 items per week you get on it that you want (receipts etc of purchases) to a "proper" email account.
Having a "Junk" account actually improves the usefulness of email since you seldom have to worry about spam or other junk.

I think though Ms has done quite well with this - they should be on to a winner here with this one -- incidentally it's good to have competition to Gmail --although google has done good stuff enabling gmail accounts to accessed using Outlook.

I prefer outlook to any "Webmail" type of application and being able to use Outlook (or a PROPER email client) is definitely a HUGE improvement -- still not quite there with gmail yet but it's becoming close.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I tried it but switched back. It's only my spam catching account, so it doesn't matter. I'm sure they will make us switch eventually. A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast