Interesting analysis of the Windows 8 store

This is expected to happen. The VERY EXACT same thing happened when apple's ios store was introduced back in like, late 2008. SO many crapapps, so many redundant apps of things that were already in the OS itself and worked fine and weren't beneficial to use. It took several months before it got useful, a year later or so brought some big hitters to ios. Maturation was needed, and it happened and now ios has EVERY top app that android users would want and Windows Phone users want and demand as well as maybe some Windows tablet users.

I think the same thing happened with android, except many apps were pretty much ported over to android, others were on android that were used on jailbroked iDevices that apple didn't approve.

Windows Phone development interestingly enough, compared to initial starts of the other two, is the second fastest after ios. There are some REAL nicely done apps on it like MetroTube, USA Today, The Weather Channel (on Nokia Lumia phones) MyStocks, Skype, Newegg, and others. Some of those developers brought their apps over to Windows 8, but the Windows apps are just paled in comparison to the Windows Phone counterpart. It's not there yet in terms of design and functionality. It seems since Windows 8 brings the tablet form factor front and center, they must be thinking development works similar to ios and android almost.

It will take 6 to 12 months for the Windows Store to mature. It needs developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers! :) App stores aren't overnight wonders, just look at the mac app store, there have been more downloads on Windows Store in the four months it's been out than mac os's store. There are also Desktop app listings as well to bring more options available.

Also, the article is a tad skewed as by default, apps are shown by being noteworthy, not top paid. Noteworthy apps are the ones to be concerned about, for example under Entertainment, there are some pretty nice apps that I have installed and use daily, and some I've used on a touch screen as well.

But the Store UI REALLY needs better metroizing. That's too modern and bare versus a rich lush metro design that Windows Phone Store has.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
One aspect stated in the review is right on the money and that's poorly implemented apps. Whether that's Microsoft's fault or not, is a moot point, apps that don't work send a very negative message across the board.

For example:

- I was looking for a local news app (web based paper news), but there are none, not one. Is it due to lack of interest?

- I downloaded a TV app from one of our free-to-air providers (SBS for our Australian viewers). After installing, I tried to view several of the listed programs and not one would display, all I got was what looked like a flatline signal on an ECG machine. Didn't the developers bother to check whether it would work, or did they simply leave something out?

- I also downloaded another TV app from one of our commercial stations, free-to-air again, (Channel 10) and wanted to watch one of their cooking shows. All I got was a very coarse still image with a message that the program was loading. Nothing ever happened. Again, did no one check the app?

I found similar things with other apps, they either didn't work, did not provide what they professed to provide or were so simplistic or limited in content that it was like downloading a brochure.

In what seems to be a rush to populate the app store and make it sound grand, any and all pieces of crap are allowed to be hosted, with no one doing any due diligence on the quality and functionality of the apps. This is part the responsibility of the app developers, but also Microsoft's, by having no quality control process in place whatsoever.

I don't know about IP violations, but if true, it's utterly stupid of Microsoft to allow such. Also, hasn't Microsoft had years to study the Apple and Android apps stores, to garner some idea as to how to make an effective and efficient app store?

Some may suggest that Microsoft is just starting, so give them some slack; however, Microsoft is not inventing the concept of an app store.

Why do you make comments on things you know nothing about, you don't know anything about Android or IOS, these two platforms have loads and loads of Apps that crash. Safari crashed 5 everyday on my brand new iPad, it took about 6 months of updates to stop that. Other apps also crash quite regularly

Last night my iPad just decided to crash for no reason at all, I've had both Channel 10 and SBS for ages, both work fine. Android apps crash quite frequently.

Instead of harping on about MS 24hrs per day, send them an email and tell them you want a job, show them how it's done Ray

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
One aspect stated in the review is right on the money and that's poorly implemented apps. Whether that's Microsoft's fault or not, is a moot point, apps that don't work send a very negative message across the board.

For example:

- I was looking for a local news app (web based paper news), but there are none, not one. Is it due to lack of interest?

- I downloaded a TV app from one of our free-to-air providers (SBS for our Australian viewers). After installing, I tried to view several of the listed programs and not one would display, all I got was what looked like a flatline signal on an ECG machine. Didn't the developers bother to check whether it would work, or did they simply leave something out?

- I also downloaded another TV app from one of our commercial stations, free-to-air again, (Channel 10) and wanted to watch one of their cooking shows. All I got was a very coarse still image with a message that the program was loading. Nothing ever happened. Again, did no one check the app?

I found similar things with other apps, they either didn't work, did not provide what they professed to provide or were so simplistic or limited in content that it was like downloading a brochure.

In what seems to be a rush to populate the app store and make it sound grand, any and all pieces of crap are allowed to be hosted, with no one doing any due diligence on the quality and functionality of the apps. This is part the responsibility of the app developers, but also Microsoft's, by having no quality control process in place whatsoever.

I don't know about IP violations, but if true, it's utterly stupid of Microsoft to allow such. Also, hasn't Microsoft had years to study the Apple and Android apps stores, to garner some idea as to how to make an effective and efficient app store?

Some may suggest that Microsoft is just starting, so give them some slack; however, Microsoft is not inventing the concept of an app store.

Why do you make comments on things you know nothing about, you don't know anything about Android or IOS, these two platforms have loads and loads of Apps that crash. Safari crashed 5 everyday on my brand new iPad, it took about 6 months of updates to stop that. Other apps also crash quite regularly

Last night my iPad just decided to crash for no reason at all, I've had both Channel 10 and SBS for ages, both work fine. Android apps crash quite frequently.

Instead of harping on about MS 24hrs per day, send them an email and tell them you want a job, show them how it's done Ray

Bill

In my post, I made no mention of the efficacy or otherwise of Android/Apple apps, but simply said that the Windows apps that I tried were a complete bust, which gives credence to what was said in the review. I did say that given the years of Android/Apple app market experience, surely Microsoft could have learned a few things or two.

You are now showing that you're not simply a regular guy that's infatuated with Windows 8 and all things Microsoft, but clearly either an employee or paid advocate of Microsoft, or just a way out there Microsoft fanboy. You also seem to reveal a lie to other aspects of your age and life, with the nature of your posts and the details therein. There is no consistency whatsoever to your story.

Rather than a mature and experienced individual, you come across as a relatively inexperienced, yet keen as mustard, individual trying to make a point in the world.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I'm not trying to make any point Ray, I'll leave that up to you. As far as experience goes, try this for the apps that don't work. Try changing the resolution, that sometimes helps with Metro Apps. If that doesn't work, roll back your drivers in Device Manager that also sometimes works.

If you're just using the drivers that came with Windows 8 try using drivers from Windows 7 for your video card, only try this at home if you're a true professional.

As far as the Store goes I'll shoot off an email to my brother BillGates and tell him to get onto Steve to rectify the situation as quickly as possible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Bill

Stop digging, the hole is ready to collapse! We all understand your passion, but it's time to step back and take a breather. What's worse is that you're patronising people, which isn't a good look in anyone's language.

I think everyone recognises that you've tried really hard to make a positive impression (you have achieved that), but you're now venturing into a field of landmines that I'm not sure that you're prepared to navigate. Review your remit, how far should you really go?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Through personal experience I have learned that in a lot of companies there is a Right Way, a Wrong way, & Their way.

"Their way" usually prevails.

Hi there
as a Consumer this I've found THIS always works for me

"Their Way", "The Wrong Way" and "My Way".

Guess which always works -- "My Way" -- and this is important because it's the "My Way" that will decide whether to buy or not.!!!

Most of these so called "apps" from those hideous "app stores" -- why can't people move away from textese and call these things by their proper name --applications -- are usually nothing but pointless junk. A very few are OK but who really needs 97 different ways of working out the moons phases in a remote part of tierra del fuego at the southern tip of Argentina, frequency of volcanic eruptions on one of Jupiter's moon's - IO - or what day of the week your late grandmothers cat had its kittens on.

You could probably condense the entire gamut of most of these so called "apps" into about 24 useful one's. The rest are either nothing more than advertising platforms to "Go Pro" i.e pay or total and utter pointless rubbish -- and as far as the android store is concerned you can never guarantee any will work when the next version of android comes out -- and as for security on these phones --just forget it --it's a total joke.

Google maps, some sort of GPS and a very few other apps are fine -- I can easily condense this down to less than 24 - even including spider solitaire if you want to play this on a smart phone - but a store with literally 100,000's of these wretched things in it --forget it.

I also don't need a phone to tell me where to go for dinner -- if you need to use your phone for that sort of information it shows you can't be a very sophisticated or choosy diner. !!! I'd rather get my info from REAL people that I personally know.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
"I also don't need a phone to tell me where to go for dinner -- if you need to use your phone for that sort of information it shows you can't be a very sophisticated or choosy diner. !!! I'd rather get my info from REAL people that I personally know. "

Sorry Jimbo but I don't agree on this one, while I would be the first to say that there are a lot of rubbish apps out there, there are more than 24 good ones.

When you're travelling thousands of kilometres from home, some of these apps come in very handy, no friends when you're in outback Australia. Also different people have different ideas about what they think is good. Actually I could probably come up with 24 good ones for music, video and photos, but then you might not be interested in any of these things.

Lets say there are 400,000 apps and 1% could be considered reasonable to good, that would be 4,000 reasonable apps. I don't believe that number but I would say that there would have to be around 1000 or more that would suit different needs for different people.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Like I said yesterday, the Internet is full of Microsoft haters, they love the fact that Apple has $130 billion in offshore accounts, but when MS tries to make a few bucks, they're nothing but a bunch of thieves.

They say MS should give away the type cover for free, yet they don't mind that Apple charges over $70 for a ridiculous cover that does nothing, or charges $50 for a bit of cable.
It's fine to be a Microsoft fan BillWindows. But we cannot sit and whine about what Apple does and can get away with. Apple fans are different people. They buy into the system, they believe in the system and they believe that it's worth it.

You need to get out into the World Wild Web a bit more WHS, there's a huge interest in Apple by the millions of Apple Fanboys and Lemmings.
Buy my question is why you are so concerned with the Apple fans? Are you upset because Apple has proven successful in the marketspace and loved by their fans? Are you irritated that long time Windows fans are being peruaded by Apple fans to try a Mac? To me, I understand the power of Apple, but it's irrelevant to me personally because I don't own and use any of their products. They aren't appealing to me. Everytime I consider one of their products, I choose something else based on features, freedom and price.

You know I'm sure a lot of people said the same thing about a horse and buggy that you're saying about Windows 7, all those years ago, but the world has to move on regardless of what we think.
Yes, change has to happen. Nobody is arguing that. The fans of Windows 7 aren't sitting around going, gosh I really wish they would have stayed put on XP...that was the best!. But just because something changes, doesn't mean it has changed for the better. Change for the sake of change isn't necessarily progress.

It seems you view all of us who aren't enamored with Windows 8 as Windows haters. For me personally, this isn't true. I don't hate Windows and I don't have Microsoft. But i am DISAPPOINTED in Windows 8. I truly wanted it to be better, I wanted it to wow the world, I wanted it to be the next Windows 7 that was just awesome. But my everyday usage doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling. It just isn't there.

Look don't listen to the naysayers here, Windows 8 is an excellent OS and easy to learn, don't worry about closing down Apps, if you want to get out of an app just go down to the bottom left corner and left click, if you want to go back to the game just move your mouse to the left side of the screen and you'll see it's still there ready to unpause.
Windows 8 has proven just fine to me from a performance and stability perspective. And I agree, while not intuitive, it's easy to learn. If that is your main concern with an operating system and Windows in general, than it's fine. But if you are like me and you feel frustrated, and annoyed while using it continually, and pissed off with the sheer number of things that you cannot change to make it work like you want or are so accustomed to, perhaps you might not sing it's praises.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

For example:

I never had an Android app crash - but there may be some that do. I think the point is that the Windows 8 store is lousy. But I am sure they will fix it. Android was chaotic a couple of years ago too. I used to say:" It's held together with band aids and rubber bands". But they are fixing it up and so will MS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Look don't listen to the naysayers here, Windows 8 is an excellent OS and easy to learn, don't worry about closing down Apps, if you want to get out of an app just go down to the bottom left corner and left click, if you want to go back to the game just move your mouse to the left side of the screen and you'll see it's still there ready to unpause.

The main thing with Windows 8 are the two hotspots on the two bottom corners and right clicking, it's actually easier than the other Windows, and you can still pin stuff to the launch bar.

Well, actually, I'm not listening to anyone about whether Windows 8 is good or not. I'm making my own decisions there. What I am listening to are the suggestions, hints, tips, etc. that allow me to learn what I need to know to make a fair judgment for the way I work.

So far, it's Windows 8 Forty-'leven, Wynona 3! :what:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
"I never had an Android app crash - but there may be some that do. I think the point is that the Windows 8 store is lousy. But I am sure they will fix it. Android was chaotic a couple of years ago too. I used to say:" It's held together with band aids and rubber bands". But they are fixing it up and so will MS."

I've been on Android since 2.0, both of my Android Phones have been reasonably stable, although the last one crashed a bit until the Jellybean update. My Android tablet reasonably stable except a few apps which crashed a bit.

Once my contract runs out on the phone, I'll be giving a Windows Phone a shot and before that, I'll try one of the Surface tablets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi there
If people want all these "Craplets" on their phone's so be it -- but if you are that sort of person that has 30 different music players or so do you really use ANY of them to LISTEN to the music or are you just idly switching around on all of them.

Things like Trip advisor type apps are also largely unreliable -- businesses often logon to these with fake ID's to rubbish the competition.

In any case I just don't see how these stores can make any serious money -- very few people I know actually "Buy" apps -- they will certainly try the "Freebies".
The prices anyway on these apps are usually just a few Euros each and the download volumes are likely to be in the 100's if you are lucky -- you might get a few that have downloads in the 1000's but very few.

Now with these very small volumes and tiny payments I shudder to think of the expense of running the Financial side of the store --

You've got to provide servers for download, then have an Accounts payable and an Accounts receivable system working with these ridiculously small volumes, have people on hand to deal with complaints etc, possibly start to build in a brand new QC dept so that these apps can be tested and passed as fit for purpose before they make it to the store etc etc.

Unlike Apple, millions and millions of programs can be installed on Windows systems without anybody going NEAR a "Store". -- How is Ms going to control that.

Ms needs a different business model for Windows. -- Can you imagine Adobe being forced to sell its entire CS (Photoshop, Illustrator etc etc) line under Ms control -- I rather think not.

If Ms also makes the store mandatory it won't be long before you will have to have an account (probably Free).

I know enough people around who even if they can get products at NO COST always refuse when registration is required -- even FREE registration. There's plenty of evidence that people do not like being REQUIRED to register for so called "Freebies".

The "Store" concept worked in the case of Apple due to the closed nature of their business and having iTunes working probably helped that anyway - but this model isn't suitable for all companies.

Google's Play store is also a bit of a joke -- but Google has so much money it really doesn't seem to care what rubbish gets into its store and QC is 100% non existent.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I must be one of a kind then Jimbo, I think the Online Stores are a great idea and have spent hundreds of dollars on Apps, Music and Movies and will be happy to spend hundreds more in the future.

I'm not saying I necessarily have 30 music players or photo apps but there are certainly many, many good apps in those categories. Travel Apps have saved me a lot of time and money, especially Expedia and Hotels.com. One App, Flights Plus, saved me from missing a flight to America. The flight data and the data I was given by the airline didnt match up so I rang the airline. I told them that their flight data didnt match up with my app, they virtually laughed in my face and told me that Apps aren't reliable. Turns out they were wrong and my App was right, they apologised.

Once you get used to buying off the store, it makes a lot more since than buying a disk or going out onto the Web. What developers have to get used to is giving a trial without registration that makes people a lot more comfortable. Just as Google and Apple have made money out of their stores I don't see any reason why MS can't, actually I can see them making more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi there
certainly within my "24" apps there are some good free one's especially for travel -- but watching movies on a Phone !!! please.
Music --so long as it plays FLAC and by folders rather than cue lists or playlists that's good enough for a music app for me
However generally when I'm booking travel I'm usually logged on to a "Conventional computer" so I don't actually need these "apps" per se --comparison sites are usually good enough and these can be easily visited using conventional browsers - no special app needed.

If I'm in London or Manchester (UK) OK Bus times or nearest bus stops might be OK --you could extrapolate that to any particular city you happen to be in - but these would tend to have limited use after your visit - and probably would be out of date by your next trip.

If you've spent 100's of dollars on these types of apps -- don't you think your money would actually have been better spent by buying a the Surface Pro or another phone or another computer. (Or Horror of horrors -- even an iPad).

I'm certainly not and never likely to be "Appy Mad".

One of the most stupid one's I saw recently was a "Photoshop Clone" Who in their right mind would even THINK of trying out Photoshop (any form of it) using a 3.5 inch mobile phone screen.

Perhaps we ought to have a thread on the top 100 "Most Rediculous or Pointless applications ever.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
certainly within my "24" apps there are some good free one's especially for travel -- but watching movies on a Phone !!! please.
Music --so long as it plays FLAC and by folders rather than cue lists or playlists that's good enough for a music app for me
However generally when I'm booking travel I'm usually logged on to a "Conventional computer" so I don't actually need these "apps" per se --comparison sites are usually good enough and these can be easily visited using conventional browsers - no special app needed.

If I'm in London or Manchester (UK) OK Bus times or nearest bus stops might be OK --you could extrapolate that to any particular city you happen to be in - but these would tend to have limited use after your visit - and probably would be out of date by your next trip.

If you've spent 100's of dollars on these types of apps -- don't you think your money would actually have been better spent by buying a the Surface Pro or another phone or another computer. (Or Horror of horrors -- even an iPad).

One of the most stupid one's I saw recently was a "Photoshop Clone" Who in their right mind would even THINK of trying out Photoshop (any form of it) using a 3.5 inch mobile phone screen.

Perhaps we ought to have a thread on the top 100 "Most Rediculous or Pointless applications ever.

Cheers
jimbo

Amen...... You've said it all!

I only bought 1 app in the app store. My favourite radiostation, Classic FM NL, doesn't have an app yet. So I bought myself a webradio app that supports this radio station. Cost me €3, but considering the fact that I use this app 2 hours a day makes it worthwhile for me. Besides that app I haven't downloaded any app from the store. Don't use any.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Iiyama ProLite B2481HS-B1
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 830;
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 2 TB HDD Western Digital;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 300R with Side Window
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    DasKeyboard (blue switches)
    Mouse
    Wacom Baboo Tablet Pen & Touch
    Internet Speed
    50 Mbit FullDuplex Fiberglass
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    I also own the following Microsoft devices:
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
Jimbo said: I know enough people around who even if they can get products at NO COST always refuse when registration is required -- even FREE registration. There's plenty of evidence that people do not like being REQUIRED to register for so called "Freebies".

I subscribe to "How-to Geek" and of late, they've offered quite a few freebies; mostly one generation back from current. Since I usually run one generation behind on hardware and software for financial reasons, I don't have a problem with that. However, I am very picky when I decide to download the freebie:

Will I actually use it? And if I will, am I prepared to to be bombarded (on almost a 100% level) with offers to upgrade to the current version for only $9.95, $19.95 and up to $99 and $199.

So, if I do download the program, I quickly test it to see if it's something I will use and possibly want to upgrade. If I discard the program, I unsubscribe and answer any questions with "It wasn't what I needed." Usually that gets rid of the ads.

Oh, and I'm going to wait quite a long while before going back to the Microsoft Store. It's just too confusing and there's not very much that piques my interest.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
So, if I do download the program, I quickly test it to see if it's something I will use and possibly want to upgrade. If I discard the program, I unsubscribe and answer any questions with "It wasn't what I needed." Usually that gets rid of the ads.
I suggest you do that in a virtual machine for at least 2 reasons:

1. it cannot screw up your main system
2. you don't 'collect' .dlls that come with every program and stay when you uninstall. That makes your winsxs grow unneccesarily.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Jimbo, I don't know why you think I watch movies on my phone, I don't, I don't even watch them on my various tablets. Everything I own is networked through routers and two NAS, they end up on my HTPCs connected to large screen TVs.

When I first started buying programmes for a C64 and Amiga they averaged between $2 and $6, now buying from the stores we're back to those prices, what's not to like.

I'd better not tell you how many tablets I've got, but I don't need anymore at the moment. However I'm very attracted to the Surface models because all my PCs are running Windows 8, it's only a matter of time. I'm like the Paris Hilton of the Tech world, have you ever seen the movie Confessions of a Shopaholic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I suggest you do that in a virtual machine for at least 2 reasons:

1. it cannot screw up your main system
2. you don't 'collect' .dlls that come with every program and stay when you uninstall. That makes your winsxs grow unneccesarily.

I've never had an App screw up my machine and as far as I'm aware there are no left over .dll's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi there
spending money on Movies or Music is not a problem -- but these rarely need "The App store" for buying these.
But spending 100's of dollars on the usual sort of "craplets" the Ms App store and others like the Google play store --even the name makes it feel like something out of a Kindergarten-- seems to me a bit of a waste of money -- each to their own I suppose.

@ Der Snoober -- I think you can get Classic FM NL via Tunein (a Free app which works on Phones as well as tablets and computers).

I can get this also via SQUEEZEPLAY and SQUEEZESERVER both free applications. Literally 1000's of classical music (and every possible type of radio you could possibly want --all 100% FREE).

The advantage of using something like squeezeserver (basically a MySQL application) is that you can stream this music all round your house to any device that's capable of receiving streamed audio -- works absolutely first class -- this app can also stream your own music too and unlike a lot of audio streamers plays FLAC. as well as the usual mp3 etc codecs.

screenshot enc

Another good one - KDFC San Francisco

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• classicfm.png
    classicfm.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 117
  • kdfc.png
    kdfc.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 127

My Computer