If These 5 People Who Tried Windows 8 Are Normal...

If These 5 People Who Tried Windows 8 Are Normal, Microsoft Has A Big Problem On Its Hands

Microsoft is launching its new operating system, Windows 8, this week.

Windows 8 is a radical departure for anyone who has used Windows in the past two decades. The new interface is designed primarily for touch-screens. And based on some anecdotal responses from those who have tried it--professional reviewers and normal people alike--it's not exactly love at first sight.

SAI's Matt Rosoff reviewed a preview version of Windows 8 a couple of months ago. He found it "needlessly confusing and hard to use."

The AP said the new OS interface "baffles" consumers.

The New York Times's David Gallagher invited 5 people to try Windows 8 and filmed them while they did so. One of the five people seemed to like the look of the design ("Awesome," "This is so cool,"). But figuring out how to actually go about doing things seemed to confuse the hell out of everyone--including the person who liked the design.

Source

A Guy

Tried the pre-release one, and quite liked it. Enough to actually pre-pay for it, so I'll be on it from Friday (or whenever) however, Ive done a back up to go back to Windows 7 if need be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Motherboard Model: ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3
    Memory
    8gb Corsair DDR3 12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 (MS-V244)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG IPS 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1900 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 x 3tb Seagate
    1 x 2tb Samsung
    1 1.5tb Hitachi
    1 x 1tb Western Digital
    PSU
    850 Lian Li
    Case
    Lian Li
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
Hilarious.

Tepid & Coke - with all due respect you are not comprehending the complaints. Tepid - you've been a member here longer than most anyone. You should know that almost this entire calendar year on this site, people have spelled out specifically their problems with 8 and here it is late October and it's gone over your heads. Old people hate change, people are too stupid, blah, blah, blah.

No.<-------------- see this?

How many times do anti-8 people have to say it? My guess is a minimum of 73,263,495,209,835,710,928,317 times. I say Metro doesn't suit me. You hate change. No, that's not correct. Well, not you but old people. Ah, no. Strawman about the learning curve. I mean what the hell?

It's amazing how badly YOU are missing the point, the topic is not the complaints. This specific thread is about Windows 8 being presented to people who are told to just use it and they not surprisingly fail at it. ALL we are saying is to give it a fair shake, show the user what has changed and how to access and use Windows 8 which only takes a few minutes. THEN if they turn around and say I hate it because it doesn't have a start menu or any of the other number of complaints that we've witnessed then fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
I hope you all understand I do not post all this stuff to bash 8, or foist my opinions on anyone. I post these things to stir the conversation, and it is the topic of the forum until the real action begins. Consider it food for thought ;)

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
I have no problems at all using Windows 8 anymore. When I first started using it I thought it was terrible. There are some nice features.

However, I must just be old because I don't really like it, I don't prefer it, and I intend to stay with Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
LOL! You should be ashamed of yourself posting these controversial articles and videos getting everyone all riled up! Paperboy! :p

Seriously though, in all due respect, I'm waiting for the day to hear your honest opinion of it. Perhaps we should start a poll thread -> Will Bill like Windows 8 or not?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Bill only has anecdotal evidence. Bill just knows he is happy with 7, and has heard nothing that would make him change to 8 ;)

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Windows 8 isn't hard to use if you give it time. It's more about the fact that they haven't made it easier but instead harder to use. Of course with time you will learn to use it. It's more of the fact that they changed things and made things more difficult when in fact it wasn't necssary. The touch/tablet aspect of the operating system was necessary some of the other changes however were not. But the operating system itself is not bad, it's just poor execution. It's not that it's impossible to use but it definitely could have been easier.

My Computer

Back