Solved I want to make an "image" of my system..

Beware of using Acronis software since it installs an extra disk driver which can be hard to remove - see http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/62551-safe-removal-acronis-true-image-drivers.html

I want to upgrade to a SSD soon and intend to use Macrium Reflect Free - see http://www.eightforums.com/installa...way-backup-clean-install-windows-8-1-pro.html

Found this in the Acronis forum:

The 2013 version of True Image cleans up after itself much better than any of the previous versions. The filters, services, and drivers are correctly removed (in most cases) when un-installing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
I used the 2013 version of True Image and can confirm that the filters and drivers were not correctly removed - hence my post and warning about using Acronis True Image. Acronis also provided no useful Technical Support and I relied on this Forum to find out how to remove all traces of Acronis software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Build
    CPU
    Intel i3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-77X-UD5H
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9 280X Toxic
    Sound Card
    Realtek on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VP2770
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Intel 520 180GB SSD
    Seagate 2T HDD
    Seagate external 1T USB HDD
    PSU
    XFX 850W
    Case
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    50Mbps
    Browser
    Chrome
SIW2 said: That is not the same as image. Imaging includes all your existing programs, settings, etc.

Actually, I think that IS what I am looking for....just PURE Windows 8.1 OS (I will install all MY software after the OS is installed)

Although, now that Win 10 is coming out, might as well wait to do this with Win 10.

Thanks for the link though Clintlgm

guess you got this sorted out but - ha.. no, do not install windows 10 until at least a few months way down the road.. do you know how many problems it's going to have just like any "new" program" ...

windows 8.1 has at-least been fixed and around for quite some time now..

I probably won't install windows 10 till much much later.. but that's just me.. I do want it though..

Also yeah, If you just want windows system clean then follow all the posts here about downloading windows iso media creation tool and just clean install windows from microsoft!

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html

then as you said, just install your programs.. and then finally after all that, do your image backup.. I like macrium reflect but I had heard of the others but just didn't know the features the other ones had.. thanks SIW2

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
That's a good idea brooksndun, guess I'll wait for awhile for the kinks (they were a good band :cool: ) to be worked out on Win 10. For now I am just making an img from how I mentioned earlier, in the command line. I'll mark this as solved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    AMD
    Memory
    4 GB