I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it

If you compare the concept of live tiles and feeding new information in one screen, versus a Desktop with five different open windows; what will take more time to view?

IMO, the 5 open windows will provide info quicker. Even if you clicked each one individually, you are bound to get way more important information faster using the 5 windows than you will with live tiles. Live tiles have some merit. For instance, as a whether app icon that shows you the whether. There is a single useful piece of information, that is a useful addition to the icon, and I can make use of at a glance. Reading email on my icon? no thanks, that would take forever. (maybe show me the 3 most recent people to email me.) In any case, when the rest of your program icons turn into a white box with a tiny icon in the corner, they hardly become worth it..

I'd agree with you if the windows opened minimized in orderly rows and columns. That the boot time would be as quick also.

www.eightforums.com/showthread.php?t=16379

The Start Screen is here to stay. It's MS's new vision of the future presently here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Also, I don't have to use google to figure out how to log off my machine.. That was an embarrassment when I was working with a client, and I had to google how to log off..

As an IT professional you should of been embarrassed, embarrassed that you didn't try ALT-F4 from the desktop or CTRL-ALT-DEL from anywhere to log off.

POW!

As a music lover you should be embarrassed, embarrassed that you didn't express that with a little more tact!

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Poo Edition (& Windows 7 Premium)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo 2561 (& a Pavillion H.P.P6)
    CPU
    Core i5 i5-2120 / 3.3 GHz (HP= Core i3-2120)
    Motherboard
    ECS H61 MATX (HP =H61 m/Bd)
    Memory
    8,077 MB DDR3 1333Mhz SDRAM (HP= Same)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Integrated (HP= Palit 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 630)
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZxR (Hp= Realtek ALC 656 )
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell S2340T/Samsung SA100 (Hp= SA-100)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080( HP= Same)
    Hard Drives
    120GB SSD,2TB 7200rpm SATA II,1.5TB 7200rpm SATA II,USB2 2TB seagate SATA II, USB2 500GB Seagate SATA II, ,USB3 4TB Seagate SATA II , USB3 64GB (Readyboost) Thumb drive, microSD(a) 32GB, microSD(b) 64GB, microSD(c) 2GB in USB adapter (recovery keys),
    PSU
    240W/(500W)
    Case
    Generic Lenovo(mini Tower)
    Cooling
    Generic single fan(same)
    Keyboard
    Emprex 6310U and Lenovo SK-8861 cordless (Hp=KMO 2004 cordless)
    Mouse
    Tecknet M002 and Logitech T620 Touch mouse & Lenovo cordless (2 workstations) (HP= KMO2002 cordlesss
    Internet Speed
    100MB
    Browser
    IE11 + Firefox
    Antivirus
    Defender(PC1),McAffee(PC2),Norton 360(PC3).
    Other Info
    I have 3 Systems, this one (lenovo) & the P6 which has nearly identical specs but runs windows 7 (considerably more reliably.)
    and a Vista laptop which also has no problems -I actually LIKE vista (ooh - controversial!!)
I didn't say anywhere that it was bizarre behaviour, merely that one is being forced to use cloud services if you want to use the calendar function. I use Outlook exclusively, but many were happy with the light version as well.

The way you phrased the question implied that you believed it was unreasonable to tie their calendar to an online account. There are plenty of calendar apps out there you can install that do not tie to an online account. Microsoft does not force you to use theirs. This is the thing that is I don't understand about people that complain. You complain about things as if it was your only option. It's not. It's only the option they included out of the box.

But that's only one minor issue; whereas, you ignored the main gripe that I have with Windows 8. And that is what I believe is the main complaint of the vast majority of users who find Windows 8 a retrograde step. The OS in itself is clearly improved, but the user interface, as far as desktop users are concerned, is deeply flawed.

In your opinion. In my opinion, I like it just fine. Why is your opinion any more valid than mine?

We have yet to hear much, if anything, from Windows 8 Pro tablet users regarding their experiences. Mine was unsatisfying. Defend the user interface as much as you like, but it is flawed and destined to failure unless Microsoft listens to those complaints, however minor, and is prepared to address those complaints. You can keep shooting the messengers, but eventually the message will get through.

You keep forgetting that your opinion isn't the only valid one. I like Windows 8 exactly as it is. Why should you win this argument more than me? if you don't like it, don't use it.

As for why there are no opinions on the Windows 8 Pro tablet.. it's because it's not yet released. How exactly is your experience with the windows 8 pro tablet unsatisfying when it's impossible for you to have had one?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Also, I don't have to use google to figure out how to log off my machine.. That was an embarrassment when I was working with a client, and I had to google how to log off..

As an IT professional you should of been embarrassed, embarrassed that you didn't try ALT-F4 from the desktop or CTRL-ALT-DEL from anywhere to log off.

Or, you know, the paradigm that almost all the major email apps now use (gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, etc..) to click on the username in the start page and choose log off. I mean, almost all users who use the internet know this.

You folks are right.. I should have thought of cntrl alt delete, or logging off from task manager... after all, I do that all the time when one of my colleagues forgets to log out of a windows server and I need to free up a terminal log in. I was simply thinking that there had to be a more obvious way, and when I did not find it right next to the obscure place where they put the shutdown option, I resorted to google. I was looking for something obvious to show my client..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
I guess, everyone will just have to agree to disagree. I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why the OS is better sans start menu, or why start screen and start menu cannot co-exist. Having asked the question why they omitted the start menu, the best answer I have received is that 'no one would use the start screen if they had the start menu available to them'. Again, I find that answer to be very telling.

Still, this is the direction microsoft has chosen. Time will tell if it works out well for them. I look forward to having my mind changed, and to meeting someone in person over the age of 12 who likes windows 8 (last night I met a 12 year old who loves windows 8 because of the ready access to free games.. well, that is something I suppose.). To those on these boards who like it in all its forms, I will simply say that I am glad that you do, and I believe that you would like it no less had the start menu been left in the OS as an option.

While I understand the direction Microsoft is going, and the reason they are going there, I simply would hope that they would not disregard the desktop users who comprise the bulk of their install base on the way. It will be very interesting to see how this pans out for them...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Forbes has an explanation for the puzzle..

Microsoft Is Fast Turning Into A Sideshow - Forbes

I guess, everyone will just have to agree to disagree. I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why the OS is better sans start menu, or why start screen and start menu cannot co-exist. Having asked the question why they omitted the start menu, the best answer I have received is that 'no one would use the start screen if they had the start menu available to them'. Again, I find that answer to be very telling.

Still, this is the direction microsoft has chosen. Time will tell if it works out well for them. I look forward to having my mind changed, and to meeting someone in person over the age of 12 who likes windows 8 (last night I met a 12 year old who loves windows 8 because of the ready access to free games.. well, that is something I suppose.). To those on these boards who like it in all its forms, I will simply say that I am glad that you do, and I believe that you would like it no less had the start menu been left in the OS as an option.

While I understand the direction Microsoft is going, and the reason they are going there, I simply would hope that they would not disregard the desktop users who comprise the bulk of their install base on the way. It will be very interesting to see how this pans out for them...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I hate windows 8. I don't have to give a reason. I talk with my wallet.

If Microsoft wants people's money, they need to give people what they want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
If Microsoft wants people's money, they need to give people what they want.

OK. That's fair enough.

There isn't much choice for many people. Most can't afford a mac, even if they want one. They have to get a machine with windows on it.

That is why MS will sell about 320m pc's in a 12 month period. It doesn't matter what the o/s is like. They will sell that many by default.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Not stating an opinion when concerned about an issue is akin to not asking a question when not understanding something. There is no stupid opinion, just as there is no stupid question. Attempting to denigrate people for expressing an opinion about something they do not like, and backed by clear examples, is merely an attempt to stifle debate. Stifling debate is the tactic of those who know they are wrong and argue for their own personal reasons.

And that Forbes article is just one of many opinions about the success, or lack of, Windows 8. The debate will go on and unless Microsoft picks up its game, it'll be game over for them for a long time and may even severely erode/destroy their desktop hegemony.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

Yes, it's telling about the user. If all you've ever eaten was dog food, you might find steak to be not to your liking. If someone offered you steak or dogfood, most would choose the dogfood every time because that's what they know.

I liken it to beer. Lots and lots of people will choose Budweiser or Miller despite having a plethora of other, and far better selections available. But they grew up with the swill, and that's what they prefer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
My point in posting the thread though, is that I have yet to talk with anyone who likes it. I work in IT, and talk with a lot of computer users. One would think that by now, I would have talked with at least one person who actually likes it and yet this is not the case.

Same boat here. No one likes it except some of the regular posters on the Windows 8 forums. There is an I love Windows 8 thread titled "So Here We Are. . . " that reads like a paid for ad from the Windows 8 damage control team. http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/17174-so-here-we.html it's a good laugh to read it if you do so with the thought that they were all paid to post that.

I like coming to this forum just to confirm that my initial assessment of Windows 8 is shared by others (quite a few others). Like so many others have concluded, this is another failed version of the Windows OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
Yes, it's telling about the user. If all you've ever eaten was dog food, you might find steak to be not to your liking. If someone offered you steak or dogfood, most would choose the dogfood every time because that's what they know.

I liken it to beer. Lots and lots of people will choose Budweiser or Miller despite having a plethora of other, and far better selections available. But they grew up with the swill, and that's what they prefer.

You are once again being condescending and insulting to anyone who has a view that differs from yours. It seems that because you like the way Windows 8 is presented, everyone else is wrong if they disagree.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Please. I'm not being condescending. I'm pointing out the logical fallacy that just because most would choose something doesn't mean that the something is better, it's just what they're used to. I'm not saying it IS or IS NOT better, i'm just saying that the logic is flawed in that statement.

And you're the one that has been stating that Windows 8 is broken as fact. So you shouldn't be throwing stones in your glass house.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Please. I'm not being condescending. I'm pointing out the logical fallacy that just because most would choose something doesn't mean that the something is better, it's just what they're used to. I'm not saying it IS or IS NOT better, i'm just saying that the logic is flawed in that statement.

And you're the one that has been stating that Windows 8 is broken as fact. So you shouldn't be throwing stones in your glass house.

You are not pointing out any logical fallacies. It's patently clear from posts and blogs across the Internet that users are frustrated with the Windows 8 user interface. They are not disputing the functionality of the user interface for tablets and the like, but are strongly against it for desktops etc. So your fundamental premise is that everyone else is wrong because you disagree with the majority.

I have merely been stating that the Windows 8 user interface is flawed and, once again, that is confirmed by the vast number of comments across the Internet. Twist, squirm and argue as you may, you can't avoid the fact that it's becoming a universal theme of discontent.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Look what happened to Apple when they removed Google maps and replaced it with imaps.

And now Google have release Map for iPhone all the comparisons are coming down in favour of iMaps. They fixed the early problems and moved on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Yeah.. and to compare the start menu to Budweiser, and the start screen to some nice Micro Brew, is also evidently making a claim that the latter is far better than the prior... Personally, I don't see how the start menu can be likened to dog food or Budweiser. There are a great many people, myself included, who even after months of working with the start screen, just find the dang thing to be completely un-intuitive and prefer the old.

I am sorry, I think it is a great concept that was very poorly executed and I will stand by that. You can call it what you wish, but functionally it looks like it was designed more for 12 year olds than for serious computer users. I don't mind it as an addition, but as a replacement to the start menu, it is lacking. I prefer a clean, small, launch space to all of my programs that is familiar and functional. The start screen is not intuitive at all. Here is what mine looks like at the moment.

1-4-2013 10-30-34 AM.jpg

Yep, that looks like a micro brew to me.. not..

Over all, there was so much potential with this concept, but the end result is lacking. I am glad you like it. I used to play with GI Joe too when I was younger. Now I am older, and I prefer a practical launch space for my applications..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
I just got back from the local Microsoft store where I played with Windows 8 for a good hour. This was my first physical experience with the OS and I have to admit, I liked it. The Metro GUI was pretty cool and the minimalist approach to the desktop made the OS feel faster.

I agree with the majority that feel the exclusion of the 'Start' orb is puzzling, especially since the functionality is present but just requires a hover on the lower left corner. After going back and forth from the desktop to the start page I do not understand why Microsoft jut didn't leave it but when clicked, had the Metro start page appear instead of the usual menu. I feel this would have been a good compromise to allow people to become comfortable with the Metro start page before removing it in Windows 9. After using the OS I believe most folks just aren't accepting the fact the the Metro start page is nothing more then a redesigned, fancy start menu. That's really all it is.

Additionally, I was pleasantly surprised that all the reading I've done on this forum actually made my experience better. I basically learned how to use the OS by reading your comments which allowed me to actually have fun while playing around with the new GUI elements.

I'm in the market for a new PC and I will definitely be installing Windows 8. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Hi folks! I'm new to Win8 and new to the forum. Hoping someone here can help me out with an issue I'm having with it. I have Win8 on my Dell Inspiron15 Notebook.
The problem I'm having is as I'm typing along (could be in an email, or a Word.doc...doesn't seem to matter where it's at) and all of the sudden the cursor jumps to a new random (or so it seems) location. I've tried duplicating it doing that by hitting two keys at once...a combination of different keys...and can't duplicate it. It's soooooooo frustrating. I can't even get one sentence typed without the cursor jumping to a new location a half dozen times. I'm not one to always be looking at the monitor while typing, so sometimes I'm not catching it right away. I've searched Control Panel to see if there is some setting there that is making this happen. I thought perhaps an auto save feature might be kicking in and doing it, but couldn't find anything on that. And I don't even know what to call what's happening in order to do a search to see if anyone else is experiencing this quirk. I type 70+ words a minute and so having to stop all the time to realign the cursor and clean up the mess it's made is soooo grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Any suggestions anyone? Should I post this in a different forum?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspirion 15 Notebook
    Memory
    500GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel #174 HD Graphics/HD Graphics 3000
Back