I have yet to meet anyone in person who actually likes it

Let me ask you this.. How cool would it be, if when clicking on the start screen, along the bottom of the screen, all running programs were linked in a graphically please-able fashion. How cool would it be, if when intalling a new program in windows, you did not get 5 brand new use-less icons on your start screen that you will never use, but instead just a single, easy to see and identify link to that application.

What if when you clicked to the start screen, the search box was highlighted in the bottom right corner so the avg user new they could just start typing to get where they needed. They could type a run command if needed. Their frequently used apps were displayed right above search, and links to folders within their user profile were available slightly to the right, similar to the start screen. Clicking those links, did not open windows explorer, but swiftly shifted the start screen to display that folders contents in a meaningful way..

Just imagine if your start scree was not just one continuous layout of icons, but a series of icons and folders displaying more icons. Less linear more 3d. I am just sayin..
i actually would like that i tthink

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Its your track pad sensitivity, as you type your palms are un-noticeably touching the track pad which explains the erratic and random jumping. You should be able to reduce the sensitivity of your track pad for this, some even have the option to disable while typing.

Thank you, RobR! I think you've hit the nail on the head. I did a little test. Here's my results:

Touch guard on:
This is the day the Lord hath made, I will rejoice and be glad in it. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. All things work together for good to those that love the Lord and are the called according to His purpose.

Touch guard off:
This is the day the Lord hath made, I will rejoad iinice and be glad and rejoice in it. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. All things worke togthr for good to those that love the Lord and are the called according tHis purpose.
Tis is t day the Lord hath made, I will rejoice and be me and my house, we will serve the Lord. All things work tad in it. As forggether for good t them that loHis purposeve the Lord and are the called according t

Touch guard on:
This is the day the Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be glad in it. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. All things work together for good to those that love the Lord and are the called according to His purpose.
This is the day the Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be glad in it. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. All things work together for good to those that love the Lord and are the called according to His purpose.

Touch guard off:
This is the day the Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be glad in it. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. All things work together for good to those tha t love the Lord and are the called according to His purpose.ether for the good tothse that love th Lording to His purpose.
This is the day the Lorhe called accor and are
This is the day the Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be g, All things work to Lorlad in it. As for me and my house, we will serve th

Sooooo, TouchGuard will be on forever. And this is called progress? lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspirion 15 Notebook
    Memory
    500GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel #174 HD Graphics/HD Graphics 3000
RobR
So you spend 98% of your time at work playing:). Since I am self employed I don't get paid to play!

When I am playing like now I have the best device for it an iPad, notifications of forum updates are pushed as are tweets etc.

When I'm working I use my Windows 8 desktop without the Modern UI or apps. Should I want to follow Twitter& FaceBook (we use social media marketing for some clients) I use TweetDeck or Hoot-suite in a browser window, Email in another window plus other windows with Word, Excel or an Adobe program on my second and third monitors and I will have the window or windows that I am working in open on my main monitor.

That is why Windows in the traditional sense is productive and the Modern UI is for toys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Ok. I've been a shortcut keys guy since their inception. I don't see the use of removing my hand off the keyboard to grab the mouse to navigate. It was no problem for me to learn the shortcut keys dedicated to 8. The WinKey continues to be the shortcut to the Start Screen just as it was for the Start Menu. I find it much quicker to key through the Start Screen than I did with the Start Menu, especially with the page up or down and end then home keys. I then use the arrow keys to narrow the choice down. I would say I'm faster than the average joe when it comes to keying though.

So, for the past 6 weeks I decided to use the mouse more to navigate to see if mouse-navigation complaints are legit. Once I learned the eye/hand feel of the four corners along with which left/right mouse buttons to use I can now say that I fly around in 8. I have yet to use touch (besides a few minutes in a store) to navigate, which I believe will be much quicker yet.

I think a lot of it could be people using old low DPI mice. I switched my mouse from 1800DPI down to 450 and it was atrocious. Popped it up to 3500 and it's just quick as all hell. So, it really depends on how many mouse swipes it takes to get from one side of the screen to the other and just how slow it is per swipe. I can imagine how annoying it would be to navigate a full screen menu with a garbage mouse when everything was once condensed on a small menu on the bottom-left corner of the screen. Then you have people complaining about Metro being difficult to navigate when with a good mouse, it's easy as pie.

That said, I pretty much agree with the rest of your post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
Tell that to the US's Department of Defense...

They have purchased licences, but that doesn't mean that they will implement a wholesale update of their current enterprise system to Windows 8. That can take years, as all manner of testing is required to verify that everything works in the new environment.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
MusicLover you seem to have hit on the ideal way. High usability and accessibility, a cascading start menu, it's the way forward. Why have MS never thought of it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
3rd party ,have you installed microsft office yet ,they may all be useful ,but could have been inside the one tile ,that would open to reveal them when needed , its at least 10 with office 2010, and 18 with office 2013

No, it's not It's 9 with Office 2013. And you can group them into a single set of icons.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
i must have a different version of 2013 i guess, and the way they are shown together in the list is default ,i touched nothing

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
That looks like the beta version... a number of those files are not installed in the release version.

By the way, it's a good idea to crop your images up post to only include the part that is relevant.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
That looks like the beta version... a number of those files are not installed in the release version.

By the way, it's a good idea to crop your images up post to only include the part that is relevant.
you know you are right ,thats what it is , and thanks for the crop tip ,actually meant to do that ,forgot

Edit ,i uninstall the 2013 preview, and installed 2013 office pro ,and it has 19 tiles in the office 2013 section ,lol

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
See that's what I hate about the Start page, it's a jumble. I understand why for a touch screen mobile device like a phone or 10" tablet, but on a desktop a cascading menu using the hover event or pseudo class to initiate the cascade is much better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Tell that to the US's Department of Defense...

I'm saying nothing about the US Department of Defence (note the correct spelling with a c, it's called English for a reason)...
LOL... I believe the correct spellings would be:

US Department of Defense
UK Ministry of Defence

It's just another way to rebel against the crown. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    Lenovo T510 / HP ProBook 4540S
    CPU
    Intel i5-510m / Intel i3-3110m
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"
RobR
So you spend 98% of your time at work playing:). Since I am self employed I don't get paid to play!

When I am playing like now I have the best device for it an iPad, notifications of forum updates are pushed as are tweets etc.

When I'm working I use my Windows 8 desktop without the Modern UI or apps. Should I want to follow Twitter& FaceBook (we use social media marketing for some clients) I use TweetDeck or Hoot-suite in a browser window, Email in another window plus other windows with Word, Excel or an Adobe program on my second and third monitors and I will have the window or windows that I am working in open on my main monitor.

That is why Windows in the traditional sense is productive and the Modern UI is for toys.

Pretty clearly stated for work I'm 99% of the time on the desktop, and yes also using multiple monitors with many windows open.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Ive installed a paid for win 8 pro on a old single core 3mhz cpu to play with, and there are some smart features, I had to put classic shell on to get the feel of working with win8 though. I believe Microsoft has tried to blur the line between mobile and desktop computing though, and its clear they dont see a future in desktop computing. I guess that wont harm linux's future though? I really cant see business leaping to win 8, in fact those still on xp will probably want to stay there now?

Even on my old pc its quite fast, better than my 4 core i7 win 7 pc. The only real concern is hardware support is abysmal, I guess it will come, but I had a fair trial attempting to get sound from my gigabyte mobo, and my only real complaint is the display, some of the themes are dreadful.

But I can remember when windows 2 came out, and the cruddy me and original vista, so after microsofts 76,000 updates and service packs it will probably be the os it should have been when released?

So much for my rant anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    xp, 7, 8
    home built
If Microsoft wants people's money, they need to give people what they want.

OK. That's fair enough.

There isn't much choice for many people. Most can't afford a mac, even if they want one. They have to get a machine with windows on it.

That is why MS will sell about 320m pc's in a 12 month period. It doesn't matter what the o/s is like. They will sell that many by default.

$599 is the entry point for a Mac. That isn't that bad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
If Microsoft wants people's money, they need to give people what they want.

OK. That's fair enough.

There isn't much choice for many people. Most can't afford a mac, even if they want one. They have to get a machine with windows on it.

That is why MS will sell about 320m pc's in a 12 month period. It doesn't matter what the o/s is like. They will sell that many by default.

i agree .cost was never a factor ,my first used computer cost me $750.00,i386,win 3.1 1 meg ram and 40 meg hdd ,my first new one was $2100.00, p166 ,16 meg ram .win95, 2 gig hdd ., so whats price got to do with buying a MAC ,its all about bootleg Games and music .lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
OK. That's fair enough.

i agree .cost was never a factor ,my first used computer cost me $750.00,i386,win 3.1 1 meg ram and 40 meg hdd ,my first new one was $2100.00, p166 ,16 meg ram .win95, 2 gig hdd ., so whats price got to do with buying a MAC ,its all about bootleg Games and music .lol

And pirating software and then gloating about it will get you a swift ban around here. Stealing isn't cool.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
After 2 months with the vanilla OS, I loaded up classic shell, and am much happier with it. If the new changes were an improvement, then why after using them for 2 months would I feel like going back to the old way was an upgrade.
Because you never really understood the benefits of using a keyboard for navigating windows previously ... ;)
Windows 8 has (to my knowledge) incorporated one of the best little tools ever into the start screen, i.e Microsoft Officelabs Speed Launch. If you EVER used speed launch, you would know what I'm talking about. Hit WIN-C and start typing for an app or shortcut or url to launch. No navigating through tons of menus, and trying to position a mouse cursor accurately.
Just gets the job done.

With the addition of Oblytile and PINto8, the start screen is lightning fast to navigate.
I recommend you try it and then tell me it's a flat zero.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8
Click start button start typing program name it appears in top left of start menu hit enter it opens. No leaving the desktop no purple jumble.

Progress my ar*e!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Back