I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista

Ever heard the saying "Can't teach old dogs new tricks" ? I have no probs adapting to change. But the majority of people not that way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 PRo
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Icore 7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 5600
Ever heard the saying "Can't teach old dogs new tricks" ? I have no probs adapting to change. But the majority of people not that way.
I understand what you're saying. I think most of us develop a comfort zone with anything. Some old dogs just don't want to learn new tricks. That's normal. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ENVY Phoenix 810
    CPU
    i7 4820@3.7GHz
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4G Nvidia GT 640
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Pavilion 27xi
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2TB
    PSU
    600w
    Cooling
    Liquid
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Trac Ball Wireless
    Browser
    IE 11, Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
ANd a final thought. I am 56yrss young like a fine glass of wine.
Anyways I digress. My whole point is you cannot sucessfully strip away all people know and expect them to be happy and feel they need to take a course to relearn how to use PC again! I am a wondows lover , always have been and always will be ! But you make major mistakes when you try to make windows a tablet or change everything and yes I know you say do this and the familarity returns. BUT when you buy it are you automatically brain implanted with the knowledge to know how to do the things you speak of? No ! The sleek should have been option and the familar the main, then you would not scare off people. Your also not figuring in people that use PC for business and do not want to have to have training classes for employees to show them how to use/navigate the NEW Win8. it is a loss of time and money. I can go on but surely by now you have gotten the point yes?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 PRo
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Icore 7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 5600
No just no....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP
    Asus
    CPU
    Intel Core I3
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobility Radeon HD 5370 1GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Internet Speed
    Gigabit
sorry for the typonese. I am a hunt and peek typer however when I took engineering fortran (I Know ancient) The prof did say I was the faster huntnpeck typest he had seen. "I am now and have always been a WINDOWS fanatic not wonders" ! LOL my typonese plus long finger nails at times make me seem illiterate so please bare with me !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 PRo
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Icore 7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 5600
*Sigh* well if you do not understand what I am saying by now you won't. I am sorry you do not understand . You can lead a man to knowledge but you cannot make him think !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 PRo
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Icore 7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 5600
[h=2]I believe Win 8 is going to be another Windows Vista[/h]

It can, depending on the user and the usage.

But for me, Vista works fine. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
ANd a final thought. I am 56yrss young like a fine glass of wine.
Anyways I digress. My whole point is you cannot sucessfully strip away all people know and expect them to be happy and feel they need to take a course to relearn how to use PC again! I am a wondows lover , always have been and always will be ! But you make major mistakes when you try to make windows a tablet or change everything and yes I know you say do this and the familarity returns. BUT when you buy it are you automatically brain implanted with the knowledge to know how to do the things you speak of? No ! The sleek should have been option and the familar the main, then you would not scare off people. Your also not figuring in people that use PC for business and do not want to have to have training classes for employees to show them how to use/navigate the NEW Win8. it is a loss of time and money. I can go on but surely by now you have gotten the point yes?

If people need to take classes to figure out Windows 8, they shouldn't even be using a computer. Everything is largely the same. The start screen is nothing more than a full screen start menu. It's not hard to navigate at all. It's simply different than the start menu we've been using for over 15 years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
How anyone can say it is the same is beyond me. As for saying that if people need to take classes to figure out windows 8, that is exactly the superior sort of attitude why i hate a lot of forums.I am trying to learn how to use it, i am finding it hard to get used to the metro screen, but i am probably not as intelligent as you.
Denise, i know where you are coming from, but perhaps you could recommend people get on a forum, or maybe buy a book to help them.Windows 8 for dummies gets a good review plus it has a 4 hour DVD.I would consider buying one myself , as it would be easier than tryong from scratch

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows7
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
    Memory
    G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 2232bw
    PSU
    Antec Truepower Quattro
    Case
    Antec 180
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
All Microsoft had to do was leave the start button in the desktop and all would have been good. If the Modern interface was indeed as great as Microsoft believed, it would have sold itself and people would have naturally migrated to that over the desktop. Forcing people onto something, because it's for their own good, never works.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Actually vista was a huge update to XP and 7 was more refined, the issue was that people were not ready for vista hardware wise. I had no problems with vista period, vista though shouldn't be used at this point due to support winding down.. I do however prefer the traditional taskbar to windows 7 and 8s super bar I honestly don't like that at all..

People are complaining because of the modern ui which I don't have a problem with however home users and everyone should never upgrade until SP1 which is due next year and personally many people are just waiting for windows blinds 8 as am I as I do miss the glass effect but hated how it's done in seven.. Windows 7 squared is the theme I'm using as it's perfect in terms of glass and transparency.

If Vista/7s transparency could be replicated in XP without issues(thanks to blinds) or other software than it's just a matter of time before it's back thanks to theming, I personally prefer OS X aqua's transparency and chrome look to 7 but I think that will also come in time. I personally prefer Unix to Windows in every possible way shape and form but.. I also game!

Give 8 time, it had a solid release and doesn't contain any noticeable bugs and has better memory/cpu management as well so it is a true upgrade to 7 but driver support is the same as 7 at the moment so upgrading may not be necessary until we see better drivers for 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Vista was a significant and needed overhaul of many Windows' internals. Yes, it was initially a bit raw and it needed time for the hardware to catch up, but if Windows 7 is good is only because of the improvements Vista brought to the table.

Windows 8 on the other hand was born with only one relevant goal in mind: help Microsoft sell tablets and become a player in the new mobile era.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
All Microsoft had to do was leave the start button in the desktop and all would have been good. If the Modern interface was indeed as great as Microsoft believed, it would have sold itself and people would have naturally migrated to that over the desktop. Forcing people onto something, because it's for their own good, never works.

Absolutely, start button should be retained, but links to the start screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
The start menu wasn't removed, you can add it back via the registry or download a start menu for windows 8. I honestly prefer windows 9X and Windows XPs start menu's over vista/7s but that just my opinion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
The start menu wasn't removed, you can add it back via the registry or download a start menu for windows 8. I honestly prefer windows 9X and Windows XPs start menu's over vista/7s but that just my opinion.

You mean registry hack for dp? It does not work anymore since consumer preview.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
But that's the point I'm trying to make, it shouldn't be a Registry hack or require the installation of third party software (which can cause other issues, such as with updates). The start buttom should have been left in place by Microsoft, as those who aren't aware, won't even know where to start and will be endlessly frustrated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Denise? Have you tried the right clicking the left hand bottom corner of the PC(s) with Windows 8 installed on them? If you had you could of found Control Panel very simply along with other missing items you use on a daily basis.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Wow! Yes, 8 is different from past OSs in that it's written for touch, but it is ->NOT EXTREMELY DIFFERENT AS PEOPLE MAKE IT OUT TO BE!! <-. Yes, it has some added features to learn just like all past OSs have had and menus are in different places. MS did not build a machine like the space shuttle sitting on a launch pad for us to reverse engineer here. It's a friggen OS! How complicated can it possibly seem to people?!! Please put the brains in second gear!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Wow! Yes, 8 is different from past OSs in that it's written for touch, but it is ->NOT EXTREMELY DIFFERENT AS PEOPLE MAKE IT OUT TO BE!! <-. Yes, it has some added features to learn just like all past OSs have had and menus are in different places. MS did not build a machine like the space shuttle sitting on a launch pad for us to reverse engineer here. It's a friggen OS! How complicated can it possibly seem to people?!! Please put the brains in second gear!

The fact that it's invoked such strident discussion, clearly infers that it's not quite the easy peasy, one hat fits all, OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS

The fact that it's invoked such strident discussion, clearly infers that it's not quite the easy peasy, one hat fits all, OS.

it's not at all a one for all o/s...or at least shouldn't be.

i spent a small bit of time early on finding things and just going ahh there it is, so it wasn't all that bad i actually enjoy doing that so for me it was kinda fun, in some small way i was disapointed that some things were where they were before because i was having a bit of fun trying to locate random bits and bobs of the o/s i didn't know about at the time.

but that said when i found it all and was like ye...ok what else? and finding nothing i was just disapointed in it, i'm not easily impressed i am aware of that and metro for me visually i'm fine with but man is it always going to be that lacking in inspiration?

some of the people i've tried to sell windows 8 have tried it for about an hour while i take them through it, pointing out all the good and great aspects, they all draw on the start menu being well weird.
some are struggling to grasp the lack of a close function where they just have to press the windows key.

and that's where they get annoyed and frustrated by metro, after being dragged back to it non stop everytime they finish with something they grew to hate it very quickly.

and then there are other people that just love it...go figure.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case