I am so lost here How can I simply go back to 7?

lol, that what is the point of upgrading to Windows 8 in the first place?

What was the point of upgrading from vista to 7 if 7 had the very same underpinnings as vista?

You might just as well say why upgrade from Windows 2000 -- the whole kybosh is basically dependant on old Windows NT code -- even the Windows identifiers of Windows 8 still is labelled Windows NT 6--I think.

Cheers
jimbo

Yep, NT 6.2 in Windows 8, to keep compatibility with vista and 7 software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
No, not really, but I do. It's that small thing that needs to be sidestepped around. I do hot swapping of drives and copying data over as it's the fastest way: hard drive to hard drive. A USB drive could work, but it would take a while to copy data from one drive, to the USB drive, then over to the destination drive.

Get an external SSD on an eSata enclosure. Then it's fast - SSD to SSD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Again, thanks to all who posted here. This old granny is eternally grateful for any and all help. Even though I have been a pretty active computer user since the early 1980's I still get lost and find things since DOS to easy to get lost in. I knew how to use DOS......

Jimbo, if you read through the rest of my original post you will see that Incredimail is not my real issue at all. My real issues are in how the account permissions work and what is wrong with my user account at the moment. How do I fix it. Why does the Admin account have issues running something that runs just fine from the user account? When I install something from the admin account, how do I make it available and usable to all accounts. Right now I can not figure out how to do that for Neverwinter and this is making me miss the entire Beta week-end, which is very upsetting to me as I missed the last one due to the same kind of issues with 8. I have been waiting for this event and the release of this game for years.

First, I do not use IE or Outlook. They are both full of security holes and I know this so I use Chrome and Incredimail. I am very good about keeping things up to date as I know how important this is and when I installed W8 I did make sure all was compatible versions or I removed the application. Incredimail was working just fine in my user account, and still is, in fact. I have been using it for years because it rarely gets hacked and it can download my mail from anywhere. Since I have several e-mail accounts this is a big bonus for me. This problem is only in the Administrator account and fairly new as issues go. It was just the last one I ran in to before posting here. The straw that broke the camel's back, I guess. I would, however, find a new application if IM did not work with 8.

Second, I have LOTS of 3rd party software. I am a digital artist so I have many Adobe and Corel products. I also am a gamer so I have things like Diablo 3 and Portal on my machine. I subscribe to Steam, so it is there too. This issue did not start with any of them, though, but with a small application I downloaded from Microsoft on the Windows 8 store. At least I think that may be where it started. I know this is the day I stopped being able to install anything on my user account and started getting that error every time I tried. The first thing that gave me issue was in attempting to install Samsung Kies for my Note tablet. That was the first instance of that error code. This was a couple of weeks ago at least.

My real issues are, 1) How do I fix this error? I have run virus scans and malware scans and all have come up clean. Would a system reset maybe help? I would happily do this if it would fix things. I will follow the steps outlined to me on another forum I have also posted to and scan with some very special tools as soon as I can answer a question as to how this is done. Maybe this will find the problem. If I knew for sure what caused problems I would be sure to remove it and fix the issue, but no idea of how to proceed at the moment. One thing that I do need answered is, what to do if the scan tool wants the disk to repair damaged files? I have the downloaded version of Win 8, so no disk.

2) How do I grant a higher level of permission to my user account now? I looked at that tool and do not understand it at all. I see that you can add a Power User group to your groups but it brings up a box with stuff you have to fill in and I have no idea of what to do in that area. Neither does my husband. I have searched Microsoft's info and found nothing on this at all, only that thing that explains how to set user notifications. This is not what I need at all. How do I find these answers so I can set things up properly?

I just want my computer to work for me and right now it is not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    I buy Power custom build
    CPU
    sandy bridge
    Memory
    8 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    invidia
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    windows defender
Incredimail is a virus and should be uninstalled asap.

Actually, it is not a virus. I have been using it for years and years and had zero problems with it. Thanks for the input, but this something I have learned to trust.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    I buy Power custom build
    CPU
    sandy bridge
    Memory
    8 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    invidia
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    windows defender
Incredimail is a virus and should be uninstalled asap.

Actually, it is not a virus. I have been using it for years and years and had zero problems with it. Thanks for the input, but this something I have learned to trust.
It was classified as a kind of trojan that snoops out what you are doing on the system - at least that's what I once read. But in any case, it is an internet polluter. Makes a lot of MBs out of a 2 line note that is only a couple of KBs and then clogs up the internet with it. I think it is as useful as a shot in the knee.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
No, not really, but I do. It's that small thing that needs to be sidestepped around. I do hot swapping of drives and copying data over as it's the fastest way: hard drive to hard drive. A USB drive could work, but it would take a while to copy data from one drive, to the USB drive, then over to the destination drive.

Get an external SSD on an eSata enclosure. Then it's fast - SSD to SSD.
I would, but then I'd need to invest in a large ample SSD, and then an eSATA (I'd probably just do a USB 3 enclosure as most PCs I work on don't have that) enclosure versus just hard drive to hard drive. I'm actually redesigning my desktop case to have two external 2.5" SATA hard drive ports and I think I might do a couple of mSATA ports as well as I do a lot of hot swapping with that. But honestly, the issue of Hybrid Boot is really the ONLY technical issue I come across with Windows 8. It's a tad annoying when I spend 15 minutes transferring something over only to realize the hard drive from the PC was shut down with Hybrid Boot and the files aren't even there.

Oh, and that's also how I'm planning to deploy Windows 8 onto other's PCs, hard drive to hard drive installs with the WADK deployment kit. Use a customized install.wim file for OEM reinstalls, deploy it onto the target drive, move data back onto that drive, pop it in back to the PC, boot up and install drivers, activate and make sure everything is in place and BAM! It took about 30 minutes to install Windows, Office, additional software, and customize the UI. That over spending a few hours? YES.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Right, with the WAIK you can do that - after you spent 2 hours downloading the 1.7GB bugger. But I have all the time in the world. I do it the more traditional way although I like fast hardware - that helps.

New operating systems I install with WMware Player on an external SSD. That works with any system - even Windows 8. But USB3 is the best I can do, WMware does not support eSata which is a bit faster than USB3 (although the specs would tell you the opposite).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Right, with the WAIK you can do that - after you spent 2 hours downloading the 1.7GB bugger. But I have all the time in the world. I do it the more traditional way although I like fast hardware - that helps.

New operating systems I install with WMware Player on an external SSD. That works with any system - even Windows 8. But USB3 is the best I can do, WMware does not support eSata which is a bit faster than USB3 (although the specs would tell you the opposite).
It's a big bug to download, but worth it. You can do customizing of wim files as well I believe. It's nicer for me as it takes me a while to install Windows through USB 2, then install software such as Office, Decor8, YouTube Downloader, uTorrent, usually Zune or the Windows Phone app, and a few other metro apps as well. THEN, go through the software and Windows (pinning things to Start, personalizing, and changing app defaults along with changing window border padding and scroll bar size among a few other Windows Metrics things) and configure everything to a logical liking. So that way, when I hand the PC back to the owner, it's in perfect customized condition so when the person starts up their PC and use it, it's like new. This also means doing an overnight wipe down of the hard drive to get rid of EVERY bit of data on the hard drive and a couple of thorough reformats and physically cleaning down the PC itself and sanitizing it. If it's real dirty, I'll tear it down to clean out the heatsink and put new thermal paste on it.

I do not screw around. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Well, your case is different. You are servicing PCs from other people. That is your business. I only maintain my own systems - the 3 from my wife and my 3 systems. That is not very time consuming. My wife uses only 3 programs - IE, AOL and Word. So she is easy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Again, thanks to all who posted here. This old granny is eternally grateful for any and all help. Even though I have been a pretty active computer user since the early 1980's I still get lost and find things since DOS to easy to get lost in. I knew how to use DOS......

My real issues are, 1) How do I fix this error? I have run virus scans and malware scans and all have come up clean. Would a system reset maybe help? I would happily do this if it would fix things. I will follow the steps outlined to me on another forum I have also posted to and scan with some very special tools as soon as I can answer a question as to how this is done. Maybe this will find the problem. If I knew for sure what caused problems I would be sure to remove it and fix the issue, but no idea of how to proceed at the moment. One thing that I do need answered is, what to do if the scan tool wants the disk to repair damaged files? I have the downloaded version of Win 8, so no disk.

2) How do I grant a higher level of permission to my user account now? I looked at that tool and do not understand it at all. I see that you can add a Power User group to your groups but it brings up a box with stuff you have to fill in and I have no idea of what to do in that area. Neither does my husband. I have searched Microsoft's info and found nothing on this at all, only that thing that explains how to set user notifications. This is not what I need at all. How do I find these answers so I can set things up properly?

I just want my computer to work for me and right now it is not.

Please, can we get this thread back to the questions I am trying to answer here.

Thanks much,

Jane

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    I buy Power custom build
    CPU
    sandy bridge
    Memory
    8 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    invidia
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    windows defender
Welcome to Windows EightForums, copperscale. I can see this thread kind of went south. :(

I'll assume you upgraded from the MS site? Did you use the Upgrade Assistant? A lot of people having troubles with the upgrades. You may consider a fresh install, which many think is best. I know it may be time consuming by losing all your programs, but may be worth it. If you do, make sure all your important data is backed up first. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2299-clean-install-windows-8-a.html?ltr=C

If not, you may want to try a few things:

Run this at least 3 times: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/3047-sfc-scannow-command-run-windows-8-a.html?filter

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...apps-troubleshooter-fix-apps-windows-8-a.html

Your trouble with accounts: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20295-microsoft-accounts-troubleshooter-windows-8-a.html

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hippsie, Thanks so much for responding to me!!!

Yes I did upgrade from the Microsoft site. I am pretty much a stickler about getting any software I install from a site that either publishes it or a very trusted place like Cnet.

I will go through the steps you outlined here for sure. One question. since I do not have a disk version of the software, is there a way around if the fix asks for an install disk? I was told earlier in another forum to run the SFC scan but that it would likely ask for an install disk to fix files. I have no idea of how to deal with this other than creating a boot disk from the downloaded install. I think I have that as an option but do not remember. I did go through all the steps when installing and ran upgrade assist first. I fixed all the little things it suggested, but it was mainly that my installed virus software did not run with 8.

I will let you know if any of this helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    I buy Power custom build
    CPU
    sandy bridge
    Memory
    8 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    invidia
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    windows defender
SFC (system file checker) does not require any disc. It tries to fix files from the mirror. But it has only a small set of mirror files for the most important system files.

The next level would be a repair/install. But for that you need an installation disc. Didn't you keep the .iso you downloaded. That you can burn to a DVD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
You're welcome, copperscale.

Thanks, Wolfgang. That's a good question.

Just my opinion. I seems your having a lot of problems mainly due to upgrade rather than fresh install. Another thing I recommend is to load the OS and let it update and stabilize a bit before loading other software. It seems we're all in a hurry to get things loaded too fast, especially with a new OS.

I feel 3rd party maintenance programs are another problem. I'd advise to stick with Defender. It's written at the Kernel level now. No need for 3rd party.

Of course do what you want. These are just my thoughts.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Thanks again for the response. I have had a couple of really bad days and no time to work on my issues here, but wanted to say thanks. hopefully tomorrow I can take the time and try and fix this mess. I did, today, have big issues with my Mozy software and their tech support spent over an hour remoted in trying to figure out what was wrong. they have elevated this to the next level as the guy that was working with me had no clue what is wrong with my W8 and he said he is pretty good at troubleshooting as he does it a lot. At least I do not feel like such a dork now. I am usually pretty good at this myself so I was really thinking that this OS must be horribly different or I have lost my reasonability completely. someone else suggested it may be a corrupted sound file associated with UAC and that I should set it to none. I tried that, but no help at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    I buy Power custom build
    CPU
    sandy bridge
    Memory
    8 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    invidia
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    windows defender
You're quite welcome, copperscale. Thank you for answering as to your system's condition. So many do not.

Good luck to you tomorrow.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I'm a long time Windows user and I tried Win8 a few months ago and went back to Win7 because of some (relatively) minor issues. Now that I built my new PC, benchmarked and tested it thoroughly on Win7, I'm going to Win8 this coming weekend, unless there's a disaster related to a friend's or family member's PC. My overclocked CPU is running well, so if I have any "new" issues, I can attribute them to Win8, so this will be a better way to migrate to a new OS since I have recent results from the old OS to compare things to... I will do a clean install, I NEVER recommend an in-place "upgrade"...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
That's very nice of you SIW2. :thumbup: That will make her clean install easy for her if she decides to go that route.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
If you did an in-place upgrade, I have done a little thing to make an installation .iso for you.

download

See part 2 of this tutorial:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-upgrade-iso-download-create.html
[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much!!!! I will try a few other things and if they do not work I will do a clean install. Thankfully I have my husband to help on this for a few days. he does not go back out (travels for work a lot) for a little over a week. Since he installs and upgrades software as part of his job, he is pretty good with this. However all of the software he deals with works on 7 so he is not at all up on 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    I buy Power custom build
    CPU
    sandy bridge
    Memory
    8 gig