how to make Windows 8 work with MS games from previous versions?

@Calico

Games run but no Menu Bars

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN 8 P 64
    CPU
    Q9400
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K Deluxe
    Memory
    4G
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 2400 HD Pro
Just taking a shot at getting some help

I realize this thread is pretty old, but I'm hoping to get some help. Let me tell you what I've done some far. First, I started with 64 bit versions of MS games from Windows 7. In all cases I was unable to find the hex sequence listed in this thread as well as several other web sites. I subsequently found 32 bit versions that do have the specific hex string. I've done the update (7d to eb); however, these games still won't work. I'm wondering if the patch needs to be different for W8.1 as opposed to just W8. Alternately, I'm wondering if anyone know what the hex string and patch would be for the W7 64 bit versions of the games. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide. CMR

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga
    CPU
    Intel i7-4600U
    Memory
    8GB
Hi Calico

Tried to apply your solution to PurblePlace.exe but could not find the string 7D 04 83 65 FC 00 33 C0 83 7D FC 01 0F 94 C0.
I am using Win 8.1
Any ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build by Novatech
    CPU
    Quad i7
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
    Memory
    32GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GEFORCE GTX770 TWINFROZR IV GAMING 2GB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    On Motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23ET83V 23 inch touchscreen monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1900 * 1280
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 250 SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 3TB
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Defender
I found a way to make the games work, unfortunately, I don't remember where. So, all credit to the original author and my apologies for misplacing your identity :(

To do this you'll need the following:

1. The Microsoft Games folder from C:\Program Files - This needs to be from a 32 bit version of Windows 7 even if you're using a 64 bit version of Windows 8
2. The cardgames.dll file from Windows\System32 - Again, from a 32 bit version of Windows 7.
2. A Hex Editor - Get a good free, no install program, from Free Hex Editor XVI32

Procedure:

1. Make a copy of the game file you wish to modify. Example SpiderSolitaire.exe - Found in the Microsoft Games\SpiderSolitaire folder
2. Open XVI32
3. Select File/Open and navigate to your Microsoft Games\SpiderSolitaire folder
4. Select SpiderSolitaire.exe
5. Open Search and enter 7D 04 83 65 FC 00 33 C0 83 7D FC 01 0F 94 C0 (copy and paste)
6. Select 7D and select Edit/Overwrite String
7. In the dialogue box, make sure Hex String is selected and type EB
8. Select OK
9. Select File/Save
10. Copy cardgames.dll to the Microsoft Games\SpiderSolitaire folder
11. Copy the Microsoft Games folder to your Windows 8 Program Files (x86) folder
12. Play.

I haven't tried the other games but I believe the same 'hack' works...

Calico has it right.

One important step I would add is to move the executables to your desktop to edit them with the hex editor (otherwise you will receive an error that the application is already open or that you are simply denied access when you try to edit them while they exist in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games folder). After you edit the executable (Solitaire.exe) from the desktop, you can save it and then move it from the desktop back into C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Solitaire folder.

Hope this helps someone down the line!

Also, I copied the Microsoft Games folder (and CardGames.dll) from a 32-bit version of Vista and then moved them to my Windows 8.1 64-bit on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (x64)
Back