How to enable Secure boot on Windows 8 at installaton ?

Yes, you can customize your backup to include "only" what you want to back up. Notice in the screenshot below, there are check boxes to the lower-right of each partition and you can uncheck them as needed to remove them from the impending backup. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Screenshot (37).png

Update: In the cases of multiple drives, you can uncheck the box (top-left of drive) to remove an entire drive from the backup.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
As My2Cents stated.

You can backup C drive but the option to restore Windows only takes a few extra MBs.

Picture:

Screenshot (14).png

The process is the same.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Yes, you are right the original BIOS(ver F7) did not have secure boot. The latest BIOS added secure boot functionality. I need to know whether the reason for Secure Boot being unsupported is because Windows 8 was a legacy install or whether my motherboard can't handle it??? I need to know definitely. And how do I format my HDD as GPT??

Well, my Z77 based Gigabyte board was installed via UEFI, and mine says Off... so I would guess it's because of install (I never turned mine on)

I notice in your first screenshot that it says your OS is running as "Legacy", which I belive is BIOS (although I seem to recall mine saying BIOS back in the day, maybe this has changed). You definitely need to do a UEFI install to get SecureBoot. It's possible to convert to UEFI (I did) but it's a pain.

There's an article here:

Converting Windows BIOS installation to UEFI - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

I read the article that you have provided. I have some questions regarding that since my partitions dont exactly match up to what is described over there. Plus, you have already converted an existing MBR to UEFI so i hope you will be able to guide me -:

1 ) This is probably the biggest problem. In the article it is stated that, disk 0 partitions will look like the following -:

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 350 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 126 GB 350 MB

But my partitions of disk 0 look like the following (view screenshot)-:
diskpart.JPG

as you can see there is NO partition reserved for the boot information ONLY. I have a PRIMARY PARTITION of 68 GB which is my entire C drive. Now if I delete that then I loose my entire Windows installation. In the article they only delete the SYSTEM Partition and recreate to an UEFI boot partition. Now obviously I cant delete my entire Windows partition and recreate just a boot partition. What do I do to work around this ?? Is there a way now to separate the boot data from my C drive and put it into another partition of its own ??

2) The next problem is that I have 2 internal hard disks connected(look at screenshot and ignore disk 2 its only a 8GB flashdrive connected to my machine at the time)-:
diskmgmt.jpg

So do I have to convert both of the disk to use GPT ?? Which do I convert first ? Disk 1 or Disk 0 ? My guess is that I first convert Disk 1 and then move on to Disk 0 because if I convert disk 0 first then when I reboot disk 1 wont be recognizable anymore to the machine. Please guide me on what I am supposed to. How do I handle this ??

These are the two primary problems that I am facing now. I cant move forward until someone tells me how to handle these two problems. Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    CPU
    Intel i7
No, you do not need to convert Disk 1 to GPT. Only your boot disk has to be GPT.

You need to resize your partitions. You can probably add the partitions to the end of the disk 0. However, I notice that Disk E: is 94% free, so you could just copy that data to F: and delete E: then move E: further down the drive using something like Paragon Partition Manager Express (Free version).

Paragon Partition Manager Free Edition - Leading partitioning software! | PARAGON Software Group - free partition software, resize partition

You would either copy the data from E: to F: or just resize E: smaller and move C: down to create space in front of C:\ for the special partitions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
No, you do not need to convert Disk 1 to GPT. Only your boot disk has to be GPT.

You need to resize your partitions. You can probably add the partitions to the end of the disk 0. However, I notice that Disk E: is 94% free, so you could just copy that data to F: and delete E: then move E: further down the drive using something like Paragon Partition Manager Express (Free version).

Paragon Partition Manager Free Edition - Leading partitioning software! | PARAGON Software Group - free partition software, resize partition

You would either copy the data from E: to F: or just resize E: smaller and move C: down to create space in front of C:\ for the special partitions.

Disk 0 now looks like the following on my machine-:
disk.jpg

As you can see there is 500 MB of unallocated space in front of C Drive. What I want to do is that make a partition from this space and then transfer my system files only from C drive to this partition. That is I want to make that partition (which I will make from the unallocated space) as the "System Reserved" partition, where all my system files will be present. Please note I don't want to transfer my Windows installation files, just the bootloader and other files that tell the computer where Windows is located during the time of booting.
  1. How do I do this ?? How do I transfer only the system files from C drive and put it into this partition ??
  2. Also after the transfer is done is there anyway I can test whether my PC is actually booting from that partition or not ??? Because during the time of conversion I will be deleting this partition and creating a UEFI compatible one, so if this partition was not used in the first place only then I will land up in problems.

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    CPU
    Intel i7
Back