How long before Microsoft Windows XP disappears?

Windows XP is in decline, on Netmarketshare's monthly numbers, but can we project how much longer it will stick around? It may be longer than you think

Netmarketshare's monthly updates on the state of the operating system and browser markets are useful not because the numbers are accurate — they clearly have a margin of error — but because they show trends. The most obvious trend at the moment is the decline of Microsoft's ancient Windows XP. This enables us to project how long it will be before Windows XP finally disappears, and you're welcome to have a go in the comments below.

The first question is, "What does 'disappear' mean?" There will clearly be a rump of Windows XP users for a long time. There are, after all, still a few people using Windows 98 (0.01 percent) and Windows 2000 (0.03 percent).

Read more at: How long before Microsoft Windows XP disappears? | ZDNet

I still have an ancient XP 166Mhz Pentium that I will never get rid of it...It really saved my arse last year, when My house was burglarized... That erned that ancient Pentium an eternal reprieve! ;)
I know of a 386-SX 16 running as a controller for a saw mill (I built it to replace old one), using DOS and a program from early 1990s but that does not make it any better or faster.

Hi there

Who needs a mega fast "Cray like" speed on a computer to control a saw mill -- if the computer works fine - that's brilliant -- and to all Ms haters - it shows how good an old OS was -- an OS probably costing in todays valuation less than 70 USD can run a SAW mill where the machinery costs several 1000 times that.

I really think that XP is still probably MORE than enough compute power for 90% of "the great unwashed" out there who don't really do anything with a PC other than to surf the net, do a few spread sheets / office documents, spend a lot of time on sites like "Farcebook" , watch a movie or too or just plain email.

If we forget things like drivers and specialized users who are into gaming or sophisticated calculations or intensive video applications -- how many people on this Forum can say they actually NEED an upgrade from XP (assuming all the hardware would still work). Remember there was also a very capable XP 64 bit edition released too but not many people knew about that.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Not rally everywhere "Cray like" speed is needed, my favorite micro controller, Omron C20 and C40 was i 4bit and run at "speed" of few MHz and yet had 24/48 inputs, 24/48 real outputs and 125/255 virtual timers. Used it instead of I cant even remember how many mechanical relays to control 6 spindle vertical lathe of 50 tons. A computer lesser than average smartphone took Apollo 11 to the moon. It's how you use it not how big it is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
The last products released based on XP core technology are the Windows Embedded Standard 2009, and the Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 operating systems, with lifecycle support until January and April 2019 respectively.

As these products will continue to receive updates for another ~5 years, and hacks have already appeared to enable mainstream XP systems to receive these updates as if they were the supported products, some XP users will feel comfortable as they squeeze the last drops of life from their old systems for a few more years yet.

I have not heard of any disasters overwhelming the post-support XP community yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
Yea, the so called XPocalipse was a complete dud. Who didn't see that coming? Microsoft trying to panic people into dumping their XP computers to boost the sales of its latest dog.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
easy
when ever one is full virus infected and even God him self can't fix it.
bam.
gone.
most XP , will self infect over the internet,before you even finish the install.. its pathetic... (sure unplug it)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    2014, HP 17.3 E00067cl
    CPU
    4core
    Motherboard
    HP stock.
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    HP
    Browser
    firefox.
    Antivirus
    ms, defender +malwarebytes pro and winpatrol pro
xp is not dead 3 yrs+

MANY governments and conglomerates have enterred into agreements with MS to extend the life of XP,(including security updates) even ordinary any day users can access these XP updates that are not officially announced.

If you know where/how to get them

I DO

Roy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    x55a asus
    Antivirus
    bitdefender
    Other Info
    this laptop was/is still posted on asus website as W7
MANY governments and conglomerates have enterred into agreements with MS to extend the life of XP,(including security updates) even ordinary any day users can access these XP updates that are not officially announced.

If you know where/how to get them

I DO

Roy

There are A LOT of access security and HVAC control systems that still use XP that are on closed internal networks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
Heck, I can still see NT 4 /4.5 servers running, our Post office is still using it internally. I was watching an interview with an elderly lady doctor on TV and there was Win 98 happily ticking in the background.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
My cable box is running XP Embedded.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Yea, the so called XPocalipse was a complete dud. Who didn't see that coming? Microsoft trying to panic people into dumping their XP computers to boost the sales of its latest dog.

Hi there

Reminds me of the old "Millennium" or Y2K scare -- people said planes would fall out of the sky or cars wouldn't start - or all sorts of other horrors. I remember a load of people in the I.T biz were getting 1,000 USD a day back then (that's probably around 1700 USD a day in todays money) for doing a lot of basically very trivial work or sitting around doing nothing but just waiting for something to happen (I think in U.S "Manager speak" it's called being "Event driven" !!).

Nowadays I know colleagues in the very same industry doing much more sophisticated stuff often extremely technical and are lucky if they get paid 30 GBP an hour (around 45 USD an hour or around 360 USD a day -- actually about the same as a typical office "permie" worker would get paid and about HALF of what an I.T "permie" earns (those that are left or haven't been outsourced to India etc).

So I neither believe in these Doomsday Scenarios or in people advising youngsters to go into things like I.T because that's where the money is any more. You just look at all the realistic scenarios and make YOUR OWN choice.

Actually in most places I've been to your PLUMBER now earns even more than some Medical doctors who themselves are pretty high earners -- and plumbing is always needed. !! Very few schools even MENTION plumbing as a possible high wage possibility (and you can't off shore all the plumbers either !!).

So don't believe that your XP machine will be riddled with Viruses today, tomorrow or even next year --If you LIKE XP and it works keep using it. You are not likely to get any viruses if you just use your machine intelligently.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB