How Can I Burn Windows 8 Media Center

I upgraded my desktop and my laptop. I signed up for WMC for both of them. Within 24 hours I received the key for my desktop. I used a different email for my laptop. I tried several times for two weeks and never received a key for my laptop. On January 25th I received a email reminder to activate WMC. This is the email address that I used and never received the key. I didn't get a email reminder for my desktop, I guess because I already activated that one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
I checked with a Microsoft spokesperson and was told that the keys will continue to work after the deadline passes, and that they will work later if you need to reinstall Windows. The e-mail messages are mostly a reminder to upgrade, I was told.

Thanks for that info!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Iiyama ProLite B2481HS-B1
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 830;
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 2 TB HDD Western Digital;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 300R with Side Window
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    DasKeyboard (blue switches)
    Mouse
    Wacom Baboo Tablet Pen & Touch
    Internet Speed
    50 Mbit FullDuplex Fiberglass
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    I also own the following Microsoft devices:
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
I upgraded my PC from Win 7 to Win 8 PRO. I also got a key to add the Media Pack. All went well with the installation until my motherboard failed. I asked MS support if replacing the MB would produce any licenseing errors. They said no, just replace the board and boot up. That was okay but I needed to reactivate. Needless to say it would not reactivate, either electronically or by post. A call to MS support got me transferred to a guy called Paul in the states. After a 90 minute phone call, at their expense, he admitted defeat and told me the only way out was a new clean install. This I did, including a disc format and it has worked well ever since, note I did not load Win 7 first.

I then decided to upgrade my laptop with Win 8 PRO + media pack. I did this using the same E-Mail address as used previously. The only problem this time was that the key they sent for the media pack was the same as the one sent previously foe my PC, which of course didn`t work. Another quick call to MS support who supplied another key over the phone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 PRO
While the 8 Upgrade is forever. The free media center add-on is not.

It does not just add Media Center to Windows 8.

Your "Windows 8" is now your "Microsoft - Windows 8 Professional with Media Center" and your Windows 8 license numberhas been changed to reflect the difference.

AH HA! That's why my Product Key came up as the WMC key when I looked for it. It's kind of nice that Win 8 gives you the last 5 digits of the key (don't have to DL a key finder anymore) so you can figure out which unit has what key. So I guess the original Win8 key they sent that I didn't use won't do anything for me in the future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro WMC
If you ever have to reinstall Win 8 then you will use the original key. Then do the Add feature for WMC and use that key. You will need both.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
I think once you install and activate WMC (before the deadline), you can install it again at a later date if needed. At least that's what I've read in other threads here and at other sites.

See this article by Ed Botts for good info on this: Deadlines loom for cheap Windows 8 upgrades and Media Center Pack keys | Ed Bott

I checked with a Microsoft spokesperson and was told that the keys will continue to work after the deadline passes, and that they will work later if you need to reinstall Windows. The e-mail messages are mostly a reminder to upgrade, I was told.

First, the new license key replaces your existing Windows 8 Pro license key. Make sure you keep a record of the existing license key so that you can use it if you need to reinstall Windows 8 Pro.
Interesting that I see there's been an update on the first quote you mentioned. That bit now says:

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson contacted me with additional information on this issue. Yes, you must activate those copies of the Media Center Pack by January 31. It’s possible (even likely) that the activation servers will continue to honor those keys for some period of time after January 31, but at some point in the near future an unactivated Media Center Pack key that was issued as part of this promotion will not be honored. (They will be usable for reinstallations, however.) Keys that are paid for, either before or after the deadline, will not expire.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Hi
I got my free Windows media key about the middle of January and installed it yesterday. It worked fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 PRO
Good to hear that Franka. And welcome to Eightforums.

Have lots of fun with your upgraded Win8MediaCenter :D.

Greetz!

Rover

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750