How are updates for Flash player and PDF reader delivered

This moved a bit OT to customizing Defender but I found it funny that MSE makes it easy to run a scheduled scan while Defender does not. So I created a task to run a daily Quick Scan. And as mentioned I also created a task to update definitions.

Now my Defender automatically updates its definitions and runs a scheduled scan.

Seems like those options both should be there but at least it was fairly easy to add them. In fact MSE specifically says running a scheduled scan is "recommended" yet they didn't even include the option in Defender :huh: .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
This moved a bit OT to customizing Defender but I found it funny that MSE makes it easy to run a scheduled scan while Defender does not. So I created a task to run a daily Quick Scan. And as mentioned I also created a task to update definitions.

Now my Defender automatically updates its definitions and runs a scheduled scan.

Seems like those options both should be there but at least it was fairly easy to add them. In fact MSE specifically says running a scheduled scan is "recommended" yet they didn't even include the option in Defender :huh: .

Well its my thread :), and I think I took it OT tbh... so no problem here.

I'm waiting to see what happens with Windows Update now. I assume I will always see one outstanding Defender update from the daily check. Unlike MSE on both Vista and W7, it doesn't seem to "talk" to Windows Update and remove the waiting update.

Edit... if that makes sense.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Vostro 3750/Acer 9301
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel i5 internal/NVidia GEFORCE GO 6100
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Hard Drives
    250Gb SSD and 120Gb
    Mouse
    HP Z4000
    Internet Speed
    76 down, 20 up
    Browser
    MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender
I'm waiting to see what happens with Windows Update now. I assume I will always see one outstanding Defender update from the daily check. Unlike MSE on both Vista and W7, it doesn't seem to "talk" to Windows Update and remove the waiting update.

Edit... if that makes sense.
Yes it does. Even after my definition update task has run I will still see the definition update listed in WU. I'm not sure when it actually removes it. I have my task scheduled to run every four hours and since WU only checks for updates once a day (at least for me) many times there will not be a new definition available for my task. But it still runs. If that makes sense ;) .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
It makes sense :) Well my update from the daily general update check has been showing for 13 hours now. During that time there have been two boot cycles and so the definitions have been checked twice now although there is only the one entry in installed updates. Presumably it was still current at the time of the checks.

Just looked at the KB numbers and the installed and the waiting to be installed one are both the same, KB 1.177.2179.0

I won't force an update now, I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow and see whether the waiting WU one changes to a later version... I suspect it will... and that it to will then sit there all day as the task scheduler bypasses it all and does its own thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel i5 internal/NVidia GEFORCE GO 6100
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Hard Drives
    250Gb SSD and 120Gb
    Mouse
    HP Z4000
    Internet Speed
    76 down, 20 up
    Browser
    MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender
I think if you do a "Check for updates" when there is an available update that has already been installed, the update won't be listed as available after the check.

By default WU only checks for updates once per day, and the list gets refreshed when you install updates or do another Check for updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Multi-Boot-PCs W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Abit nf-m2-nview
    Memory
    4GB ddr2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 4670
    Sound Card
    on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    32"
    Screen Resolution
    1360x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 250 GB, Samsung 1TB Sata, many others
    Keyboard
    Dell USB wired
    Mouse
    V7 USB wired
    Internet Speed
    Uverse 12D/1.5U
    Browser
    PaleMoon, Firefox, IE
    Antivirus
    Panda or Avast or Avira + MBAM Premium
I think if you do a "Check for updates" when there is an available update that has already been installed, the update won't be listed as available after the check.

By default WU only checks for updates once per day, and the list gets refreshed when you install updates or do another Check for updates.

That makes sense. This morning after the daily autocheck for updates, I see that the waiting Defender update has been replaced (although not installed of course) with a later version.

(And as a further OT observation in W8.1, I notice that the daily update check happens virtually immediately from a cold boot, as if it already knows or has in a cache somewhere of what is needed)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb