Haven't been paying much attention to W8...

Hardly! Going by your POV (Point Of View) why doesn't everyone stay using Windows 3 Windows for WorkGroups! Even going by what your saying, and they were kept active, then the computer processor world would of ended! *Example* Windows 3.1 will not load on a modern processor! Even though it says it will work on a 32mhz or BETTER processor. Also Microsoft gives you a better warranty that a car manufacturer, with them you get a limited 1 year or 50 thousand mile warranty. Also, I take it by your objection that YOU must be still running DOS (any version) right? :redcarded: The statement you have made, is something that someone that doesn't want change.

It's fine for things to have use-by-dates, as long as it is clear at the outset that they are time-limited, such as the Release Preview of Windows 8, or for a financial software package to require annual renewal of license to enable taxation updates.

I can only guess how unpopular Windows would become if the small print read that the OS would shut down every 30 minutes after a certain date was reached, unless the license was renewed and a fee was paid for upgrading. I think Linux would benefit greatly from that.

To suggest that the plug should be pulled on outdated OS versions whose licenses were sold without that provision is ludicrous and inflammatory.

Read it again, Mike. What's my POV? At least comment on what I said, not some strawman soapbox argument of your own invention.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
Aero, smearo. It uses valuable system resources. NOT a needed thing IMO.
Yeah, you could say it's not needed, but Aero is actually pretty resource conscious. I had it running with I think 16 MB of video RAM. Graphics hardware is at the point where Aero isn't a lag on the system anymore as it did with the vista days.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back