Google glasses... I'm uncomfortable with it already

SAN FRANCISCO — Google’s wearable computer, the most anticipated piece of electronic wizardry since the iPad and iPhone, will not go on sale for many months.
But the resistance is already under way.

The glasseslike device, which allows users to access the Internet, take photos and film short snippets, has been pre-emptively banned by a Seattle bar. Large parts of Las Vegas will not welcome wearers. West Virginia legislators tried to make it illegal to use the gadget, known as Google Glass, while driving.

“This is just the beginning,” said Timothy Toohey, a Los Angeles lawyer specializing in privacy issues. “Google Glass is going to cause quite a brawl.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/t...lass-picks-up-early-signal-keep-out.html?_r=0

That's no different to how it is already. Although open to the public, a bar isn't a public place, it's private property. So there's nothing preventing the owners of a premises banning them, or even introducing a dress code that doesn't allow people to wear baseball caps if they want to.

As for banning the use of Google Glass whilst driving, that's just common sense, as it will be a distraction. Personally, I think all hands-free devices should be banned whilst driving because it's not just holding a phone to your ear that's the problem, it's the fact your brain is concentrating on something else at the same time as driving, which is still dangerous even when using hands-free. Arguably, people may say the same can be said for talking to passengers whilst driving, but in reality it's not quite the same as the passengers in the vehicle are aware of the surroundings and what the driver is doing whilst talking to them. Plenty of scientific studies have shown that using a phone whilst driving (regardless of whether it's hands-free or not) reduces situational awareness.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64-bit
SAN FRANCISCO — Google’s wearable computer, the most anticipated piece of electronic wizardry since the iPad and iPhone, will not go on sale for many months.
But the resistance is already under way.

The glasseslike device, which allows users to access the Internet, take photos and film short snippets, has been pre-emptively banned by a Seattle bar. Large parts of Las Vegas will not welcome wearers. West Virginia legislators tried to make it illegal to use the gadget, known as Google Glass, while driving.

“This is just the beginning,” said Timothy Toohey, a Los Angeles lawyer specializing in privacy issues. “Google Glass is going to cause quite a brawl.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/t...lass-picks-up-early-signal-keep-out.html?_r=0

That's no different to how it is already. Although open to the public, a bar isn't a public place, it's private property. So there's nothing preventing the owners of a premises banning them, or even introducing a dress code that doesn't allow people to wear baseball caps if they want to.

As for banning the use of Google Glass whilst driving, that's just common sense, as it will be a distraction. Personally, I think all hands-free devices should be banned whilst driving because it's not just holding a phone to your ear that's the problem, it's the fact your brain is concentrating on something else at the same time as driving, which is still dangerous even when using hands-free. Arguably, people may say the same can be said for talking to passengers whilst driving, but in reality it's not quite the same as the passengers in the vehicle are aware of the surroundings and what the driver is doing whilst talking to them. Plenty of scientific studies have shown that using a phone whilst driving (regardless of whether it's hands-free or not) reduces situational awareness.

First of all, I agree with you completely on the reduction of situational awareness when using hands-free devices. Unfortunately, studies have also shown that banning the use of any devices during driving actually increases the rate of accidents in those places. The reason is people don't stop using them. They just start using them and trying to hide them at the same time, which reduces situational awareness even more.

Where I'm at, the use of cell phones and texting while driving have been banned. Before this law came out, I saw people holding up their phones at eye level and text or do other things with their phone. Nowadays, I still see people use their phones and texting. The difference is nowadays they would look toward their feet doing it.

It's one of those dilemma that came naturally with modern technology. No way to escape it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Back