Good News for Malewarebytes

I mostly agree with your rant jimbo45. The AV industry is mostly based on scare tactics, very similar to what the guys creating virus/malware and such do.

But what irks me the most is the concept of Anti-Virus in itself is flawed.... And it is deliberate because it encourages having the "best" AV or the one detecting the most, which is a non-ending and ultimately useless quest.
Fact : There is NO AV in the world that can protect you against everything. Why ? Because if you create something new and never seen before, it isn't in the database of signatures and it will pass the virus scan very easily.

A very good read related on this subject is : The Six Dumbest Ideas in Computer Security

Basically it is a fool's quest to enumerate something that has become exponential. Maybe when AVs signatures attain 1GB size, some people will realize this but I doubt it.

Some solutions already exist that are much better at protecting against malware than AVs, including but not limited to:
* Sandbox applications (Sandboxie, Virtualization, etc..)
* Block executables by default policy (Software Restriction Policy, present on all windows since XP or Applocker since win 7)
* Frequent reset to a default state of your system (Steady State by Microsoft, Deep Freeze by Faronics, etc... or even manually with any disk cloning application like Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
@oneeyed

I am just curious here, are the rest to default state programs such as Deep Freeze actually fool proof? I know several school systems who use it and it just peaked my interest when I read the name. Will it restore it every time no matter the malware/virus? I think of a restore point where sometimes viruses can still come back or restore with it.

Another notable restore program is Norton Ghost.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    iBUYPOWER
    CPU
    AMD 8320
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7850
    Screen Resolution
    1024x768
    Case
    Azza Solaris
    Internet Speed
    50MBps download/10MBps upload
    Browser
    Chrome/Firefox/Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Malwarebytes PRO
Foolproof sure. As long as you keep your backup in a safe location, not accessible by malware, say a removable drive. If the backup is extensive enough, then the reset will overwrite everything, malware and such crap included.

It is a very good solution as proved by the multiple public internet places using it like universites, internet cafes and such.

Keep in mind that while Deep Freeze and other such applications are fine, they only automatize something that you can do yourself with relative ease : Backup your system drive on a removable drive at a point where you are sure it is free of malware, and restore it frequently. For security reasons, the backup/restore should be done outside of windows so it won't be tampered by anything malicious, so use a live-cd or include the application on the removable drive and reboot from it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I mostly agree with your rant jimbo45. The AV industry is mostly based on scare tactics, very similar to what the guys creating virus/malware and such do.

But what irks me the most is the concept of Anti-Virus in itself is flawed.... And it is deliberate because it encourages having the "best" AV or the one detecting the most, which is a non-ending and ultimately useless quest.
Fact : There is NO AV in the world that can protect you against everything. Why ? Because if you create something new and never seen before, it isn't in the database of signatures and it will pass the virus scan very easily.

A very good read related on this subject is : The Six Dumbest Ideas in Computer Security

Basically it is a fool's quest to enumerate something that has become exponential. Maybe when AVs signatures attain 1GB size, some people will realize this but I doubt it.

Some solutions already exist that are much better at protecting against malware than AVs, including but not limited to:
* Block executables by default policy (Software Restriction Policy, present on all windows since XP or Applocker since win 7)
* Frequent reset to a default state of your system (Steady State by Microsoft, Deep Freeze by Faronics, etc... or even manually with any disk cloning application like Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image)

Never did disk cloning before. How does that work?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion DV6
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 144C
    Memory
    6 GB soon to be 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5)
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Samsung HDD and Samsung 600 GB SSD
    Case
    HP metal case.
    Cooling
    Standard fan ( Does a good enough job)
    Keyboard
    HP backlit keyboard.
    Mouse
    Standard USB Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps Download and 10 Mbps Upload thru Charter High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Firefox and Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Norton Internet Security
    Other Info
    Custom Built Windows Server 2008 R2 used for storage server, DHCP server, Primary DNS server. Novell Suse Server running 2 custom built desktop that have Novell Netware installed. Samsung Note 3 (Primary Phone) and Samsung S4 (Back up phone).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion DV6
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 144C
    Memory
    6 GB soon to be 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    HP metal case.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    HP backlit keyboard.
    Mouse
    Standard USB Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Internet Security
    Other Info
    Custom Built Windows Server 2008 R2 used for storage server, DHCP server, Primary DNS server. Novell Suse Server running 2 custom built desktop that have Novell Netware installed. Samsung Note 3 (Primary Phone) and Samsung S4 (Back up phone).
I use Acronis True Image 2014 to clone drives and I've used it for about 10 years with excellent results.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
Okay it a try. I plan on buying a 600 SSD and wanna move my OS over to it is that possible or should I start fresh? I just started reading about SSD and how good they are so I wanna give it a try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion DV6
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 144C
    Memory
    6 GB soon to be 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    HP metal case.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    HP backlit keyboard.
    Mouse
    Standard USB Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Internet Security
    Other Info
@oneeyed

I am just curious here, are the rest to default state programs such as Deep Freeze actually fool proof? I know several school systems who use it and it just peaked my interest when I read the name. Will it restore it every time no matter the malware/virus? I think of a restore point where sometimes viruses can still come back or restore with it.

Another notable restore program is Norton Ghost.
@loveandpower
Another piece of software you might want to look at is: Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool
It is lighter and easier to use as compared to Deep Freeze.
Deep Freeze vs Shadow Defender | Wilders Security Forums

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    16 GB G-Skill Trident X @2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    256 GB M2 sm951, (2) 500GB 850EVO, 5TB, 2 TB Seagate
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
I think I am still considering Deep Freeze over Shadow Defender even though they are both great programs by the sound/research I have done.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    iBUYPOWER
    CPU
    AMD 8320
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7850
    Screen Resolution
    1024x768
    Case
    Azza Solaris
    Internet Speed
    50MBps download/10MBps upload
    Browser
    Chrome/Firefox/Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Malwarebytes PRO
I use Windows Defender, the firewall, UAC and something that can’t be matched by any anti-virus suite, common sense. The last time a virus exploited my system, it was purely my fault because I forgot to unclick a promotion that came with the program I wanted. As long as you respect sensible rules you will be fine and backup anything you can’t afford to lose.

My new computers always come with trialware antivirus I have to kill. I’ve saved my parents at least a thousand dollars by teaching them to have confidence in Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials and to be mindful in their online activities. They were the ideal targets of those AV companies which is why I hate the fear campaigns ran to exploit people and scare them into buying unneeded bloatware.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 64-bit/ Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Desktop: Allison Designs by Austin Computers / Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L50-A006
    CPU
    Intel Core i5- 4590/ Intel Core i5 processor 4200U
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte H97M-D3H/ ?
    Memory
    16 GB Kingston at 1600 Mhz/ 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 OC Windforce (2 GB/256-bit)/ nVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2GB
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio'
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 2216Vw 22"/ 15.6" Widescreen HD LED Backlit Display
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050 / 1366*768
    Hard Drives
    2 TB Western Digital Black Caviar Drive (7200 RPM)/ 750GB (5400rpm) with Toshiba HDD Accelerator
    PSU
    Coolermaster 750W VS Series 80+ Gold Power Supply (Desktop Only)
    Case
    Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case (Desktop Only)
    Cooling
    Two Case 120 mm fans and GPU, CPU, PSU cooled by own fans respectively. (Desktop Only)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wired Keyboard Desktop 600 (Desktop Only)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wired Mouse 600/ Toshiba Touchpad and Logitech Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer and Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton 360 by Symantec
I use Windows Defender, the firewall, UAC and something that can’t be matched by any anti-virus suite, common sense. The last time a virus exploited my system, it was purely my fault because I forgot to unclick a promotion that came with the program I wanted. As long as you respect sensible rules you will be fine and backup anything you can’t afford to lose.

My new computers always come with trialware antivirus I have to kill. I’ve saved my parents at least a thousand dollars by teaching them to have confidence in Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials and to be mindful in their online activities. They were the ideal targets of those AV companies which is why I hate the fear campaigns ran to exploit people and scare them into buying unneeded bloatware.

At the end it all boils down to what you do online and what you download. Always be careful with what you download and install. But I I agree with your post. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion DV6
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 144C
    Memory
    6 GB soon to be 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    HP metal case.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    HP backlit keyboard.
    Mouse
    Standard USB Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Internet Security
    Other Info

Hi there

A good read - but I DO disagree with what the article says on educating users -- education is NEVER wasted -- even if you think a particular technique is out of date and won't be used so a waste of time a user learning how to deal with it.

Recently someone was rescued from a place by using the Morse code for SOS -- bet that hasn't been used for ages -- however it's still instructive as a visual device to show youngsters about Binary code (a dot and a dash shows the concept very quickly- and by speeding a film up you can explain to young kids the concept of Binary data transmisstion, compression and even encryption).

My Grandad was always saying "The price of Education is expensive -- but the Price of IGNORANCE is ASTRONOMICAL. I don't know where he got the expression from but it's certainly true.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
My Grandad was always saying "The price of Education is expensive -- but the Price of IGNORANCE is ASTRONOMICAL. I don't know where he got the expression from but it's certainly true.

The very truth,
:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U