Five Things Microsoft Should Fix in Windows 8 to Prevent Another Vista

As a Microsoft MVP, a fan of Microsoft in general, and a lover of Windows 7, I have looked forward to Windows 8 with great anticipation. But, the more time goes on, the more concerned I am about just how successful the launch of this OS will be, and I’m not alone. There are many bloggers, analysts, and experts out there who have Microsoft’s best interests at heart, and feel that Windows 8 as it stands today is not ready for prime time.

Of course, the Windows 8 Consumer Preview we’re using today is a pre-release version that isn’t intended for prime time. But, there’s also a reason Microsoft isn’t calling it a “beta”. Microsoft is still making tweaks and adjustments, but in general the belief is that the Windows 8 Consumer Preview is essentially “feature complete”, and the final version will not be much different than what we have now.

Source

A Guy

I have been using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview for a while now. I think we can all agree that the Consumer Preview is MUCH better than the Developer Preview, but there is still some improvement that needs to be done. First, I want Microsoft to let us customize Metro more by default. They don't even let us set a wallpaper. Also, I wish that the Windows Store would get the type of scrolling that the start screen has (where you can move the cursor to the right or left of the screen and the start screen will move with it). Also, if you plug in a device, the notification at the top says tap to change settings, even when I am on a laptop that doesn't have a touchscreen. That is kind of annoying because I don't have a touchscreen. Besides those things, Windows 8 is a great os! I am amazed at how fast and stable it is for a beta! If they can fix the things I mentioned above, then I will probably upgrade to Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Professional
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion P7-1010
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X4 645 3.1ghz
    Motherboard
    Foxxcon N-Alvorix RSS80
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5670
    Sound Card
    Realtek Integrated Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2011x
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1. 128gb Crucial M4
    2. Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200.12rpm
    3. Western Digital Caviar Green 1tb 5400rpm
    PSU
    Seasonic 380b
    Case
    HP OEM
    Cooling
    Coolermaster Heatsink and Fan
    Keyboard
    HP OEM
    Mouse
    HP OEM
    Internet Speed
    20 Megabits down/ 4 up
If the two interfaces can mesh and work together, Windows 8 will be a blast to use.

Speaking of interfaces, once the user realizes that they do not need to constantly have the UI controls in front of them all the time and instead focus on the content at hand, while realizing all the normal controls are STILL there; Windows 8 will be a success.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I'd imagine first generation hardware would have little decals for all of the gestures.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM