failure configuring windows updates. reverting changes!

I've had this issue for almost 2 years now. I just did 80+ updates so I could get Windows 10. Now I'm stuck in loop once again, and don't want to wait... Just changed the boot mode to one up from, "Fast Boot", leading to keyboard not loading. Not able to change fast boot option back, or press "4" when promoted to do so, to get into safe mode.

I've been in many forms, tried many fixes, and even made a few calls.
Thanks Windows! <3

I'll try what has been mentioned in here once it boots up, but I'm not happy at all. It's almost funny how bad of an issue this is. Biggest joke I've ever encountered in my 25 years of life.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
Cerebral Zombie,
I don't know if this will help any but I've been having to unplug keyboard and plug it back in each time I start up. Comes right back. I have no idea if this is relevant in your situation. Just a thought.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP. Touchsmart
Sledgebeast,
Can you go into bios anytime and turn off secure boot, and if so, How? And my machine is an HP so you mentioned a code?to keep it from undoing the change? I am really new to this, so please explain as if you were telling someone who knows zero about computers, if you could. Thank you

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP. Touchsmart
Revisiting Reverting Changes during Updates!

Its been a while since I've posted regarding this issue. As I mentioned in earlier posts this workaround has helped many times on many different machines. I did acknowledge a few machines we've encountered still give this problem. Albeit a small number compared to what our shop had been experiencing. That being said,,, & in conjunction with the shear volume of Reloads we have performed in the last couple years, we have honed in on one particular update that seems to be directly related to the dreaded "Reverting Changes" Issue! Especially on those few machines that still produce the error even after turning off "SB".

(Note: HP's seems to do this more than other brands.)

The update in question would be....

Security Update KB3060716

I have even had this update cause this problem on Windows 7 !

So now in conjunction with temporarily disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS we also uncheck Security Update KB3060716 Till all the other Important Updates are Installed. Saving this one for last. So even if it did still cause the issue it would be a very short Reverting Changes, taking only minutes... as its only one update that has to be reverted instead of hours of waiting. However, for the most part that update seems to load ok by itself after doing the bulk of the other updates successfully.

I can say that for our PC repair business we have now effectively zero'ed the occurrence of reverting changes during updates for us!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ALL OF THEM!
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ALL
MS fix your junk!

Ran into one today that defied all the workarounds. An HP Pavilion G7! Again HP proves to be the worst offender! Disabled secure boot, unchecked kb3060716. Nothing prevented the failure. Forced to resort to the long drawn out process of small batching the updates into groups. Doing this is proving to me that the offending update is definitely in the Security updates for Windows section. Leaving those towards the end and doing them in small batches of 5 or so at a time. This helps in two ways. Obviously getting them done period! & If it fails it does not take hours to Revert back!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ALL OF THEM!
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ALL
I had the same problems with failure - reverting changes issue. Never would complete once a failure occurred. Had to recover back to factory and start over. I believe all the previous 'fixes' need not be applied because the cause of the failures is other services and software interference. No need to disable secure boot or install updates in batches, etc..
Simply perform a clean boot before searching for updates and the updates will install without any problems (in my case 114 updates to get to 8.1 - no optional ones) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Leave system on clean boot till 8.1 is complete, then revert your system back to normal startup as described in the same link above. Done! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    All Windows
Sorry to tell you but all, and I mean all, the PC's we are having this occur on have all been "clean boot" as you describe.

I think you mean:

Factory Imaged with the original factory recovery software or "Image"

or even

Wiped! (Formatted or even Deleting All Partitions)....and Clean Installed from OEM Windows 8 CD.

Let me tell you the "Failure Reverting" issue still ^ Rears its Ugly Head ! ^ More often than not!

Your supposition is simply not the case with this particular Issue! Even with the two methods I just described.

O' and to 'clean boot' is really to turn off the pc and power it on fresh = cold boot.. or a warm boot=ctrl+alt+del or restart.

A 'clean install' of the OS is what we do!

Boot is what a PC does when the MB sees a Bootable Drive or Active Partition. It reads or boots from that HDD or ODD or SSD etc.. Loading the Operating System Kernel into memory.

Being a computer repair shop since '92 and with W8 out for the last several years I am speaking from a prespective of literaly hundreds of W8 based computers this occurs on!

Now if you took a pre imaged machine like an HP and deleted all the OEM partitions off of it and use a OEM W8 Disk instead of Utilizing the Original HP Image. (Which btw ditches everything the PC shipped with).......... (all the orgional Drivers and Burner Software, PowerDVD, Windows PreActivation, etc..) The average customer would obviously prefer to have back when the job is done!

You may very well have got a blank install of Windows 8 to work the 2nd time! But in doing so you lost everything!

So, that last method is usually reserved for a last resort method on a machine that has a Hidden Factory Recovery Partition.
Now if you built a Clone or Custom Built PC that's the Normal method of loading that machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ALL OF THEM!
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ALL
Excuse me?! I mean no disrespect, but a 'clean boot' is what I said, and I know it is NOT a clean install! I know that very well, thank you. Did you even go to the link? Obviously not from your response. A clean boot is using msconfig to eliminate ALL running services and software except Windows core services. This eliminates all possible software and services conflicts. WU will then install without error.... I have done it many times to correct WU failures in Windows 8...so you should try it sometime! I do realize I'm a newbie to this one particular forum, but I know perfectly well what I'm talking about. I assure you I am not a 'newbie.' Obviously one fix can't apply to 100's of thousands or millions of PC's, but this fix has been proven to work by me and many, many others....that is why I post it here in order to help others with a proven solution. You completely misunderstood what my first post said, and with all due respect, read the link.
:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    All Windows
The problem is an internal windows issue and is not caused by third party software running in the background! Microsoft has released updates that cause this problem. No matter what other software is or isn't loaded. Again this issue even occurs with a virgin install of Windows 8 on a blank hard drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ALL OF THEM!
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ALL
Back