Solved Error on installing Win7 in UEFI

don't want to hijack you thread, im just frustrated I'm trying for the first time to duel boot win8 [already installed ]and win7 ,on a uefi .will not let me install to partition I created ,try the rufus usb still no go.i will settle for removing all partitions and installing win7 by it self

#6 in the link you provided ,it will not let me delete the partitions ,I did deleted the acer recovery partition and one other, then win8 wouldn't boot ,I ran a repair and fixed that ,just want to install win7 and be done ,now I know why people get frustrated with win8 uefi ,oh the laptop is not mine

On some Acer, Gateway, P. Bell, Windows 7 x64 will not install in UEFI mode.

Windows 8 Desktops - How to Disable Secure Boot - YouTube

Enabling the boot device menu

Acer said:
On most Acer systems, you can use the F12 key on boot to select the drive or network from which loading the operating system. In case the F12 option does not work, you may need to enable this function.

SOLUTION

Enabling the F12 function:

1.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
2.Press the right arrow key to select Main.
3.Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
4.Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
5.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot

Acer said:
This article only applies to: Windows 8 Desktops

Bootable media from previous versions of Windows may not be recognized in Windows 8. You can change the Secure Boot setting and it should recognize the bootable device.

Use the following steps to change Secure Boot:

1.Completely shut down your computer.
2.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press Delete to enter the BIOS.
3.Use the right arrow key to select Authentication.
4.With Secure Boot highlighted, press Enter and then the down arrow to select Disabled.
5.Use the right arrow key to select Boot Options.
6.With Launch CSM highlighted, press Enter and use the down arrow to select Always.
7.Press Enter.
8.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I am running Win 7 on the laptop already, but in legacy, and with linux as a dual boot. Yes the BIOS supports uefi, which s why I tried switching it on and see if the installation would start.
The same has happened on my new ASUS, with win 8, where I wanted to remove it and install win 7.
Since I had no luck, I have used win 8 and found that win 8.1 is quite nice and fast, but I have of course switched off most of the so called 'Modern' interface. Since I have a Win 7 license for the old one I wanted to use UEFI instead of legacy.

I have tried these tutorials, but it is nothing else than what I am used to when booting from a usb. This still gives me the same
error. Are there other suggestions, if removing linux won't work?

today I got rid of win8 install and all partitions and installed win7 on a uefi laptop ,a friend of mine used windows Vista install disk to delete all partitions on the drive ,finally after me trying all the great suggestions in this thread

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
I am running Win 7 on the laptop already, but in legacy, and with linux as a dual boot. Yes the BIOS supports uefi, which s why I tried switching it on and see if the installation would start.
The same has happened on my new ASUS, with win 8, where I wanted to remove it and install win 7.
Since I had no luck, I have used win 8 and found that win 8.1 is quite nice and fast, but I have of course switched off most of the so called 'Modern' interface. Since I have a Win 7 license for the old one I wanted to use UEFI instead of legacy.

I have tried these tutorials, but it is nothing else than what I am used to when booting from a usb. This still gives me the same
error. Are there other suggestions, if removing linux won't work?

Just checking your Win7 ISO does have SP1 built in? SP 1 is required to support UEFI in Win 7?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
Yes it does have SP1. I am not running windows 8 on this laptop, but as suggested it might work, to remove the partitions. I will try and see how far I get. Thanks for the suggestions :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7
Just checking your Win7 ISO does have SP1 built in? SP 1 is required to support UEFI in Win 7?
Could I ask you where you got this? I cannot say for sure you are incorrect, I will have to do some research, but my original Windows 7 DVD boots to UEFI mode... and I have been running UEFI for several years.

But again, I will have to check a timeline to verify one way or the other.

Edit: As it turns out, the Original Windows 7 DVD x64 will not install on my newest system, which is Windows 8 Secure Boot Capable. It will, however, install as UEFI on my older motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V Pro) which is not Windows 8 Secure Boot Capable.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 -v Pro, Z87-Expert
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
I think most of it is solved now.
I have made a recovery dvd of the original system, and then opened cmd from an install disk. I have formated the entire hdd and
converted it to gpt, which gets me a bit further. I am currently making a UEFI bootable usb manually, since the one made with
Rufus, didn't work the first couple of times.

My old laptop had win 7 in legacy. I have switched to UEFI since it was available in
the BIOS, and I am trying to install win 7. I only have a win 7 upgrade and a win 7 dvd with english only.
Is there a way to install another language after installing an english only system? (There is always a way of course, but will it pose a problem?)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7
So now I face a somewhat minor problem, compared to the earlier.
I have made a bootable usb with win 7 uefi using this tutorial:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html
(Thanks for this tutorial Brink. It is great)

When i choose the usb with UEFI in front of it, it looks like it is going to start but it freezes after is says "starting windows".
When trying to boot from just the USB without UEFI in front, it works as it should.

Any suggestions on what to do? I have followed the last part of the tutorial, (Step 11) for Win 7 x64 UEFI.

The system is converted to GPT, so all should work as intended

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7
I think most of it is solved now.
I have made a recovery dvd of the original system, and then opened cmd from an install disk. I have formated the entire hdd and
converted it to gpt, which gets me a bit further. I am currently making a UEFI bootable usb manually, since the one made with
Rufus, didn't work the first couple of times.

My old laptop had win 7 in legacy. I have switched to UEFI since it was available in
the BIOS, and I am trying to install win 7. I only have a win 7 upgrade and a win 7 dvd with english only.
Is there a way to install another language after installing an english only system? (There is always a way of course, but will it pose a problem?)

You should be using Diskpart to clean the disk your going to install too. Clean then convert to GPT, the install will complete the Partitioning and formatting. You can hit the F10 key after the install files load and get a Elevated CMD to use Diskpart. Otherwise you'll do the Clean and convert to GPT on another computer. or with a boot disk that that has the Diskpart utility on it.
Your ISO has to have SP 1 built in. and the boot files have to have Boot64 file included. this is all detailed in the Install window 7 UEFI Tutorial.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
As I have said, the disk I am installing win 7 in UEFI with, has been cleaned and converted to GPT using Diskpart. I will do an after check. The ISO has SP1 and as I explained I have followed the tutorial, and the bootx64.efi is in efi/boot folder on the install drive.
Thank you though :)
Is there anything else there could be wrong? The ISO is a multi DVD and made for danish, though I would not expect that to be a problem.

EDIT: The same happens when using linux ubuntu, both on try and on install. Is there any reason for this?

Also there is an option withing the BIOS, which says, "Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device"
Would it have anything to do with UEFI working?
UEFI boot has already been enabled, so that the system should be able to boot UEFI from disks.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7
As I have said, the disk I am installing win 7 in UEFI with, has been cleaned and converted to GPT using Diskpart. I will do an after check. The ISO has SP1 and as I explained I have followed the tutorial, and the bootx64.efi is in efi/boot folder on the install drive.
Thank you though :)
Is there anything else there could be wrong? The ISO is a multi DVD and made for danish, though I would not expect that to be a problem.

EDIT: The same happens when using linux ubuntu, both on try and on install. Is there any reason for this?

Also there is an option withing the BIOS, which says, "Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device"
Would it have anything to do with UEFI working?
UEFI boot has already been enabled, so that the system should be able to boot UEFI from disks.

Ok you stated that you formatted then converted to GPT? no format should be required just an unused space on a GPT disk.
You may be having a problem with your ISO? Here is a link to download any version of win 7 ISO all legal just download the one that you have the Key for. Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads | Windows 7 Forums

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
I have been using a multi dvd image, but I only have a key for Home Premium. It is only in english in this version. Is there a way for installing another language after install?

And thank you for the link :D I will see if this solves it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I have used a 64bit image only. There is no doubt. It would seem that the particular ASUS K53SV has a problem with UEFI that several others have had and have not solved. I have given up and installed a clean win7 in Legacy. I have been seeking for hours, and I have tried Tianocore for UEFI as well, but I have decided it to be a waste of my time. Thank you for all your replies. I appreciate the help :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7
win8 multi dvd's contain 2 version, core and pro,not 32 and 64 bit

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
Are you sure? Maybe in different countries they are packaged differently, but my 8.1 retail set has 32 and 64 bit, not core and pro. The Core and Pro are sold in different colored boxes.

My Windows 7 ones were the same. We also need to keep in mind the Original Windows 7 DVDs, non-SP1, do not work well as UEFI on the newer systems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 -v Pro, Z87-Expert
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
Are you sure? Maybe in different countries they are packaged differently, but my 8.1 retail set has 32 and 64 bit, not core and pro. The Core and Pro are sold in different colored boxes.

My Windows 7 ones were the same. We also need to keep in mind the Original Windows 7 DVDs, non-SP1, do not work well as UEFI on the newer systems.

The box may say Core or Pro but the DVD can install both. What's on the box is just telling you what version you paid for. It's telling you what product Code is inside the box. The Microsoft TechNet ISO's are multi edition, Core and Pro. The key you enter during the install determines what version you get. I am almost positive Retail DVD's are the same way. For example, if you install Core, and then enter a Pro key via Add Features, all the features of Pro are installed/unlocked without having to put your DVD in. All the Pro files are already installed, they just aren't unlocked.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Forgot to mention, the Windows 7 DVD's also have all versions on them. If you delete the EI.cfg file from the sources folder you'll get a menu during install listing all the different version on the DVD. For the 32 bit DVD you'll get Starter right up to Ultimate. The 64 bit DVD does not contain Starter so it goes from I think Home Basic to Ultimate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

The box may say Core or Pro but the DVD can install both. What's on the box is just telling you what version you paid for. It's telling you what product Code is inside the box. The Microsoft TechNet ISO's are multi edition, Core and Pro. The key you enter during the install determines what version you get. I am almost positive Retail DVD's are the same way. For example, if you install Core, and then enter a Pro key via Add Features, all the features of Pro are installed/unlocked without having to put your DVD in. All the Pro files are already installed, they just aren't unlocked.

well iam not 100% sure ,but I use msdn and have to download 2 iso to get multi versions 32 and 64bit . and my win7 ultimate I got from Microsoft for the wi7 coming out party has 2 dvd one 32bit one 64bit ,must bee differed where u are

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info

well iam not 100% sure ,but I use msdn and have to download 2 iso to get multi versions 32 and 64bit . and my win7 ultimate I got from Microsoft for the wi7 coming out party has 2 dvd one 32bit one 64bit ,must bee differed where u are

I've never seen 32 bit and 64 bit Windows on the same DVD. Office maybe, but not Windows. Not from Microsoft anyway. There are some home made "All in ones" on bit torrent sites but like you say, from Microsoft its two separate ISO's. As far as I know Retail bought copies are the same deal, you get a 32 bit DVD and a 64 Bit DVD in the box. That's what I've seen mentioned on this forum.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard