Dreaded OEM Clean Install

Well how to retrieve an ISO is another problem entirely but not really a difficult one. Keep in mind you do have the legal right to own windows 8. If you happen to get an ISO in whatever way (hint:google), there's nothing wrong in using it (the physical download isn't what's important, your key and your right to use it is). Just make sure whatever ISO you get has matching hashes to the official MS ones (MSDN Subscriber Downloads). You can use Sigcheck from microsoft to retrieve the hash (sigcheck -h filename/directory).

You DO NOT own Windows 8, you have the right to USE Windows 8.

As Pelmore has the MSI OEM manufacturer's Pre-installed version of Windows 8, this would be the only version He/SHE has the right to USE.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Sigh.. You understood me before, no need to nitpick. He has a legal key for windows 8, if he installs from whatever source which retrieves the embedded key, his new OS will be totally LEGAL.
Or are you saying if I have 2 official dvds for the same version of windows 8, I can only use the one coming with my pc ? Haha. No, it doesn't matter.
And sorry english isn't my 1st language, I assumed everyone understood that you don't actually "own" windows 8, just your key, which I expanded on later and everyone else (again my assumption) understood.

To make matters clear, I do not condone piracy. But by buying his OEM PC, Pelmore has the right to use the specific version which was installed. If by whatever means he happens to find an ISO that matches this version, and installs it, there's nothing wrong with it (at least for this specific machine)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Your stuck between a rock and a hard place. You need a Retail 8 Core product code to get the Core download. Or a full retail ISO/DVD to use as install media. One thing you can get from The MSDN site is MD5 check sums. If you can find an ISO from another source you can check the hash code to see if that ISO has been altered or modified from the original.

So it seems I have 1/2 a key to two different locks. The retail ISO for W8 PRO and a key for OEM Core with no ISO. :confused:

Before I look into the MD5 check sums and comparing them to what else is available on the interweb, would it be possible to use the generic Windows 8.1 key to do a clean install with that .ISO and then activate it using the Windows 8.0 OEM key that I have?
Check out this web site it is really for Asus Notebooks however his ISO Links are reliable and Safe.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
The TechNet ISO's for Windows 8 and 8.1 do not list separate OEM and Retail versions. Those ISO's will also except embedded OEM keys along with retail keys. If you install with those ISO's the embeded key is read and used and activation is exactly the same way it was with the factory OEM install. I fail to see how using one of those ISO's is illegal. If that were true I would think this this would also be illegal to do on an OEM install. http://www.eightforums.com/installa...retail-windows-8-1-windows-8-product-key.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Well how to retrieve an ISO is another problem entirely but not really a difficult one. Keep in mind you do have the legal right to own windows 8. If you happen to get an ISO in whatever way (hint:google), there's nothing wrong in using it (the physical download isn't what's important, your key and your right to use it is). Just make sure whatever ISO you get has matching hashes to the official MS ones (MSDN Subscriber Downloads). You can use Sigcheck from microsoft to retrieve the hash (sigcheck -h filename/directory).

Ok, I went ahead and grabbed an .ISO from google. I've never done a hash check/MD5 check before, so I thought I would give it a go. I installed HashTab v5.1 and then clicked on the downloaded .ISO. I noticed there was a tab for a hash comparison, but I do not have a MSDN .ISO to compare it to. I did click on the details tab on the MSDN for the W8 (multiple editions)(x64) ISO and saw that the SHA1 is the same as the downloaded ISO.

I did not see any information regarding the MD5, so I am not sure how to go about checking that.

Provided the .ISO i'm using checks out as an authentic, A-OK file, then I believe it will work with my Core Windows 8 product key, since it should have both the Core and Pro versions contained inside.

HashvsMSDN.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8
That looks to be the one I used with success on my ASUS K75DE. Yes 8 Core should be installed automatically and you shouldn't be prompted to enter a key. It will activate over the Internet when it gets a connection. I don't remember having to click the Activate Windows but don't panic if it says windows isn't activated or prompts to activate Windows. It should activate fine manually or all on its own.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
This is correct

As Pelmore has the MSI OEM manufacturer's Pre-installed version of Windows 8, this would be the only version He/SHE has the right to USE.
But what is the "difference" between this MSI version of Windows 8 and say a Technet version of Windows 8? You don't get more features, you don't get additional functionality, you don't get additional roles...its the same darn thing.

I don't see Microsoft "ever" coming after anybody if they bought a machine that came with a Windows 8 pre-installed and then later used a different set of media to reload the OS. This would NEVER, EVER happen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Ok, I went ahead and grabbed an .ISO from google. I've never done a hash check/MD5 check before, so I thought I would give it a go. I installed HashTab v5.1 and then clicked on the downloaded .ISO. I noticed there was a tab for a hash comparison, but I do not have a MSDN .ISO to compare it to. I did click on the details tab on the MSDN for the W8 (multiple editions)(x64) ISO and saw that the SHA1 is the same as the downloaded ISO. I did not see any information regarding the MD5, so I am not sure how to go about checking that.
If the SHA-1 checks then you should be fine. MD5 is older and basically only useful when checking if a file hasn't been corrupted when copying/moving, much like crc32.

pparks1 said:
I don't see Microsoft "ever" coming after anybody if they bought a machine that came with a Windows 8 pre-installed and then later used a different set of media to reload the OS. This would NEVER, EVER happen.
Indeed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
This is correct

But what is the "difference" between this MSI version of Windows 8 and say a Technet version of Windows 8? You don't get more features, you don't get additional functionality, you don't get additional roles...its the same darn thing.

The only big difference is the OOBE and the OEM branding. Once you get past that, functionality wise its no different. Core is Core and Pro is Pro. Like you say, you don't gain any extra features.
One thing I noticed on TechNet for Windows 8 and 8.1 is there is no separate OEM ISO and Retail ISO, just the one multi edition. The one ISO accepts OEM and Retail keys. If Microsoft didn't want you using it on your OEM PC they wouldn't have set it up to read and use the OEM embedded keys automatically. By doing that they ensure that the PC is OEM licensed like it was originally. Activation is as original with the original key. Like you say, they are never ever going to come after you for doing it. Something ells I noticed is my COA sticker on my laptop, if you can call it that, does not say OEM on it anywhere. All that's on it is ASUS and Windows 8. I guess one could assume that because it has ASUS on it, it must be OEM. Something else to consider is, if you upgrade to 8.1 or even 8.2 is that sticker still valid?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I have good news to report, the .ISO from google allowed me to install windows 8 OEM and it reports it as being activated. Checking the key with pkeyui shows that it is the same as before, so it looks like it pulled it off the bios just fine.

Thank you for the help everyone! Off to install a ton of updates.

:dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8
:thumb: That's good to hear. I'm glad you got it all sorted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard