Don't hate Windows 8!

Windows 8 takes a lot of getting used to, but it's the best OS made by Microsoft, and could be the best OS ever made by anyone...

Windows 8 is really hard to get used to. Really, really hard.

Don't get me wrong, even when when you're running through the install process, Windows 8 looks absolutely fabulous. Never before has so much elegance been wrought from such basic use of colour and typography. It's beautiful from the get-go.

But when you get to the Start screen -- well, it's really that where it starts to fall apart for people.

I started using Windows 8 full-time on March 1st 2012, just under eight months ago. Soon after starting I wrote a particularly harsh article about what I thought of it. Over the weeks and months that followed, I grew to really enjoy using Windows 8 and -- in all honesty -- regretted being quite so harsh.

Read more at source:
Don't hate Windows 8! | ZDNet

We will have to disagree. My view is that the Metro interface is a pointless and useless second rate mobile phone interface that has no place on a PC. Only by deleting all the apps and installing StartIsBack to hide the monstrosity, its daft corner and edge effects, pointless lock screen etc, does Windows 8 become a worthwhile and useful operating system.

Don't have to delete all the apps, unpin them and you will enjoy not seeing any of those crap.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
Well I've loved it since day one, I've got it on 4 computers replacing Windows 7. I think for the average user this the easiest Windows ever produced, the learning curve is minimal. I never close Apps down just go back to the start screen and start another app then go to the left side to reopen.
Even control panel and device manager etc are easier to access. On a big screen TV Windows 8 is absolutely awesome, it seems tailor made for home entertainment. Me personally, I would never go back to Windows 7.

same here love windows 8 :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 update 1 Pro X64 with WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    intel i7 2600k
    Motherboard
    Asrock H61M-VG3
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce GTX 560 Ti
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Internet Speed
    100MB
With apologies to George Orwell & Winston Smith

But it is all right, everything is all right, the struggle is finished. I have won the victory over myself.
I love Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Or it could just be that Metro is crap!

Honestly it's crap from the point of view people had to adapt to it... that new way of dealing with things in full-screen.

BUT overall, Win8 is the best Windows that was released so far, even from a technical point of view, I agree.

I do the daily tasks I did in Win7, all with my desktop applications and the start screen doesn't annoy me as the myths say.

Those who don't agree just stick around on their Win7 installs, it's a solid one, I still use it... and don't tell me that you (still) use XP, cause I do. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Or it could just be that Metro is crap!

Honestly it's crap from the point of view people had to adapt to it... that new way of dealing with things in full-screen.

BUT overall, Win8 is the best Windows that was released so far, even from a technical point of view, I agree.

I do the daily tasks I did in Win7, all with my desktop applications and the start screen doesn't annoy me as the myths say.

Those who don't agree just stick around on their Win7 installs, it's a solid one, I still use it... and don't tell me that you (still) use XP, cause I do. :)

Yup!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
Metro isn't crap, it's beautiful

It is neither crap nor is it really beautiful. But you can beautify it - if you like.

2013-02-06_2124.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Metro is crap and definitely not beautiful. Windows 8 can be refined to make a good OS by hiding/removing the rubbish part.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
We will have to disagree. My view is that the Metro interface is a pointless and useless second rate mobile phone interface that has no place on a PC. Only by deleting all the apps and installing StartIsBack to hide the monstrosity, its daft corner and edge effects, pointless lock screen etc, does Windows 8 become a worthwhile and useful operating system.

Oh dear God!:rolleyes:

Microsoft's problem is that if you're trying to transition over to a world where the PC becomes an archaic irrelevancy you have to be bold. And Windows 8 is smack-bang in the middle of that transition. It's neither one thing nor the other for the specific reason that both Old Windows and New Windows are relevant today. Go back ten years, New Windows would be too futuristic and out of kilter with the hardware. Go forward ten years and hardly anyone will be using an OS that looks like Old Windows today. (Well, maybe 20 years.)

It's that fact that we all have to make peace with when thinking about Windows 8. There isn't a better way of making Old Windows and New Windows work together. What Microsoft has come up with is the least-awful way of doing it.

Metro is for touch and gesture. The traditional desktop is for mouse and keyboard. Windows 8 mixes them both. Use the desktop for your PC (and add Start8 if you want) as no-one is forcing you to use Metro, but please try to understand the relevance of Metro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Shuttle SG33G5M
    CPU
    Intel Q8300
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 1066MHz
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
    2x500GB Seagate Barracuda
    Keyboard
    Logitech DiNovo Mini
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity 65 Mbps
Sorry but Metro is an irrelevance. Serious productive work will never be done on touch. If you can sit close enough to a 26 inch monitor to touch it you damn well can't see it. Touch is for 10 inch tablets which will never be useful for any complex word processing, large spreadsheet, database development, Photoshop or Illustrator graphics, or any other serious work application.

Microsoft have failed to understand why the iPad succeeded where they failed at every attempt to achieve mainstream tablet computing, they still don't which is why they have produced the children's toy interface for the desktop and a PC for a tablet. Wrong wrong wrong.

They have missed the mark on the desktop and the tablet by trying to do both. They have achieved the worst of both worlds by producing Metro, the equivalent of a chocolate fire guard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Sorry but Metro is an irrelevance. Serious productive work will never be done on touch. If you can sit close enough to a 26 inch monitor to touch it you damn well can't see it. Touch is for 10 inch tablets which will never be useful for any complex word processing, large spreadsheet, database development, Photoshop or Illustrator graphics, or any other serious work application.

Microsoft have failed to understand why the iPad succeeded where they failed at every attempt to achieve mainstream tablet computing, they still don't which is why they have produced the children's toy interface for the desktop and a PC for a tablet. Wrong wrong wrong.

They have missed the mark on the desktop and the tablet by trying to do both. They have achieved the worst of both worlds by producing Metro, the equivalent of a chocolate fire guard.

You're the one who doesn't understand tablets, if they're not meant for serious work why do Pilots and Doctors use them as well as many other Professionals. There are literally millions of Professionals waiting for A Surface tablet or some other alternative. Tablets are an extension of a PC especially a Windows 8 one and you could easily edit a spreadsheet, or Word document on a tablet.

The iPad succeeded because of kids, end of story. Sure it ended up much more, but that's how it started sitting in a two year olds pram covered in jam. You've got no idea about touch or tablets or anything in the modern age.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
You clearly are a linguist, you talk fluent unicorns. So what do you do for a living. Work in IT? Work in healthcare? Fly planes? Build user interfaces? Network Engineer? Graphics Design? Write code? Build websites? Programmer? Or just play with computers for a hobby? Clearly you don't speak from a great position as professional.

The ipad is a success for all the reasons that Microsoft Windows 8 and the Surface tablet is all wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
You clearly are a linguist, you talk fluent unicorns. So what do you do for a living. Work in IT? Work in healthcare? Fly planes? Build user interfaces? Network Engineer? Graphics Design? Write code? Build websites? Programmer? Or just play with computers for a hobby? Clearly you don't speak from a great position as professional.

The ipad is a success for all the reasons that Microsoft Windows 8 and the Surface tablet is all wrong.

Professional Workers use Windows based tablets, A Hobbyist use iPad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
A tablet can be used for serious purposes.

But the reason tablets are selling so well and PC sales are declining is that most people had no alternative, they had to buy PCs even if they only did trivial tasks like email and browsing, they didn't need all that power but it was the only show in town. Then came net books so those took off. Now iPads and all the cheap android copies are selling like hotcakes because as a mass consumer device for all those people a simple tablet is perfect.

So then Microsoft says they are all wrong and what the really want is an expensive PC in a 10 inch tablet. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! All they are producing is another niche tablet just like they have always done when they tried the tablet market.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8

I'm retired, retired at a young age because of my ability to see what lies ahead. I have all kinds of PCs and tablets and I know that what Microsoft is doing is the way forward, nothing else is even close. If the Surface is so wrong why did thousands and thousands line up for it. I didn't see any screaming schoolgirls or the type that like MacBook Airs, all I saw were techies and professionals around 35 to 50.

My Computer

System One

• OS
A tablet can be used for serious purposes.

But the reason tablets are selling so well and PC sales are declining is that most people had no alternative, they had to buy PCs even if they only did trivial tasks like email and browsing, they didn't need all that power but it was the only show in town. Then came net books so those took off. Now iPads and all the cheap android copies are selling like hotcakes because as a mass consumer device for all those people a simple tablet is perfect.

So then Microsoft says they are all wrong and what the really want is an expensive PC in a 10 inch tablet. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! All they are producing is another niche tablet just like they have always done when they tried the tablet market.

And Apple says Microsoft is wrong,we'll make a very expensive 128GB iPod and charge even more than a Surface. Which will probably work for Apple because the rich will buy one for their screaming kids to go with their iPhones.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hey guys, please keep this discussion civilized. A good argument is welcome but please refrain from personal digs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Looks like this owner doesn't agree with you.

.Very well said. I have a Windows 8 pro tablet and I can run 3d studio max, Photoshop, and Starcraft(low settings) on it. Try doing that on a non windows tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back