Does anyone from Microsoft read these threads?

Perhaps you had better find out what a conspiracy is before making irrelevant insulting posts.

Hi Dovechick,

You are not a dying breed.

There are plenty who do not want to be exhorted into a costly subscription based service, or be spied on constantly , or have control removed from them .

There are a few who don't understand what is going on and appear besotted by the simple little squares. Don't pay any attention to them.

Conspiracy theorists abound, it seems.

At any rate, what makes you think 8 doesn't meet the needs of the Desktop PC? Examples?

con·spir·a·cy the·o·riesPlural

NOUN

belief that event is plot: a belief that a particular event is the result of a secret plot rather than the actions of an individual person or chance

con·spir·a·cy the·o·rist NOUN

"You are not a dying breed.

There are plenty who do not want to be exhorted into a costly subscription based service, or be spied on constantly , or have control removed from them .

There are a few who don't understand what is going on and appear besotted by the simple little squares. Don't pay any attention to them."

Umm, how is that not a conspiracy theory?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
In what sense would it be forced, Andy?

Just a little orb sitting minding it's own business. It will only pop up if you ask it to.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has ignored the fact that everyone is an individual, with individual tastes, and have instead attempted to foist sameness on everyone. Some like this sameness, but some like Brussels sprouts as well. We'll just have to wait and see whether the sprout lovers win or lose.
How is this any different from the start menu being forced on everyone?

A conspiracy involves parties grouping together to do whatever it may be. That is what your definition is trying to convey.

The term "conspiracy theorists" is often an attempt to discredit/belittle.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Just a little orb sitting minding it's own business. It will only pop up if you ask it to.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has ignored the fact that everyone is an individual, with individual tastes, and have instead attempted to foist sameness on everyone. Some like this sameness, but some like Brussels sprouts as well. We'll just have to wait and see whether the sprout lovers win or lose.

A conspiracy involves parties grouping together to do whatever it may be.

And the Start Screen isn't mind its own business, ready to show up when needed? It's like it's become a living entity in Windows 8...

The term "conspiracy theorists" is used to name a group of people that aren't technically loony, but makes things up from certain events to explain something, usually with little to no credible evidence.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Well, if you want to describe yourself that way ....but I don't know who else you would be including.

a group of people that aren't technically loony, but makes things up from certain events to explain something, usually with little to no credible evidence.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

It took me a moment to understand what you were talking about, confusion about start menus.

The start button in Windows 95 was hardly forced, you still had options available for a long time afterwards, so that you could retain a familiar user interface and with it came the taskbar for added efficiency.

But what you're now admitting is that Microsoft has removed that earlier flexibility and is truly forcing something down people's throats that they do not want. I'm glad that the luvvies are admitting that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Carrots or brussels sprouts

:ditto: David, that's it... Carrots or brussels sprouts. An easy option to choose. I'm an artist and the way things look is important to me. I would like to be able to format the appearance of the icons and charms. I have not found a way of doing that yet. Maybe someone here knows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Depends..if you get distracted by a tile, and then launch a metro app, which goes full screen, you might be there far longer than 2 seconds.

Better believe businesses don't want their employees distracted like this.
That's why the IT staff at said business would be uninstalling said apps, or at least keeping relevant or other apps.

Also, by that line of thought, the internet should be disabled at said business because it IS a huge waste of time.

The IT staff aren't having to uninstall these metro apps, because we aren't deploying Windows 8. My world wide cohorts are all indicating they are taking a PASS on this release, for a variety of reasons that all end up being the same few things. Is there anybody here who works in a business with an IT dept who is actively rolling out Windows 8 to the entire staff, or at least the majority of the staff?

Tons of jobs require internet resources. As an IT guy, my number one resource is Google.com. you seemed to have missed my point and simply redirected in a dramatic fashion. I don't live in a black and white, all our nothing world.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

A conspiracy involves parties grouping together to do whatever it may be. That is what your definition is trying to convey.

You do not have to be in a group to be a conspiracy theorist. Most of your claims don't have a leg to stand on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
Apologies. English is not your native language, it seems. You could always look it up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
No Spying or Subscriptions?

Hi Dovechick,

You are not a dying breed.

There are a few who don't understand what is going on and appear besotted by the simple little squares. Don't pay any attention to them.

Conspiracy theorists abound, it seems.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-...st-non-subscription-version-3.html#post196539

Microsoft patent spies on consumers to enforce DRM | ZDNet

Windows 8 Tells Microsoft About Everything You Install, Not Very Securely | Nadim Kobeissi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Back