Do you use apps?

Do you use the apps in Windows 8?

• Total voters
I use the weather app. That's pretty nice. And Finance at times. The others only accidently if they are default.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
So I'm coming to the conclusion that more people have the apps installed, but don't use them?

Odd, seems like a waste of Start Screen space...
True if not unpinned. Not criticizing, but wish your poll had included this possible response too: "I don't use the apps and have them unpinned." I really didn't have a proper response since this is what I do. To participate in the poll accurately, I had to respond with" "I don't use the apps and don't have them uninstalled." The major bad news for Win8/MS is that so many don't use the apps or just use them "from time to time." But, Win8 is selling even though their is ambiguity about how well. We'll see how things go after the price increase.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
I have a clock app, so the start screen shows the time always. I have the weather network app as well.

I uninstalled the mail, people, calendar and messenger apps because I didn't want a livecomm process to be hogging bandwidth. I wish they didn't come grouped together because I may have used the mail app.

The annoying thing about apps is that you can't zoom in or out, or resize anything like in a web browser (ctrl+mouse wheel). I'd use apps more on my HTPC if I could.

Windows media player is better than going into full screen in the music app.

I used theTED TV app a bit, but it's kind of ugly.

Apps definitely have potential, they just need to be tweaked, and improved upon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Has there been any clock app that's useful? I find that the live tiles don't refresh quickly enough for the functionality of a clock. so the time will be right at the refresh point. and then not update until the next interval so if you look at it before the next refresh, it could be a couple minutes off.

I think they should go back to one of the prerelease designs for the Windows 8 Start screen where they had the time always in the upper right corner near your name. I think they just wanted a clean look but to me, the time should always be there.

I ended up just doing the charms swipe with a touch screen or the charms swipe with a touchpad to see the clock. That'll bring up both the charms bar and the time.

as for the bandwidth used for those apps, have you measured it? it's pretty miniscule. you could be browsing the web for half an hour and use more data than days of those listed apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Has there been any clock app that's useful? I find that the live tiles don't refresh quickly enough for the functionality of a clock. so the time will be right at the refresh point. and then not update until the next interval so if you look at it before the next refresh, it could be a couple minutes off.

I think they should go back to one of the prerelease designs for the Windows 8 Start screen where they had the time always in the upper right corner near your name. I think they just wanted a clean look but to me, the time should always be there.

I ended up just doing the charms swipe with a touch screen or the charms swipe with a touchpad to see the clock. That'll bring up both the charms bar and the time.

as for the bandwidth used for those apps, have you measured it? it's pretty miniscule. you could be browsing the web for half an hour and use more data than days of those listed apps.

I'm pretty sure they did that as it's cleaner. What if you're in an app and wanted to check the time? Go to Start and go back to the app. Or, if they had the time on Start along with the Charms, it'd be pretty redundant and a design oddity.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I don't generally use Metro Apps. I pin the Mail tile and the People tile for a quick glimpse of some notifications, but as soon as I see a new email or notification, I immediately pull up an already-opened session of Google Chrome. It takes too long to load metro apps when I already have my desktop apps available to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Memory
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP
    Sound Card
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D and 20" 2009m HP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 and 1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Intel 730 Series 2.5" 240GB SSD (OS + programs) WD Blue 1 TB HDD: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM (personal files)
    PSU
    Antec HCG M Series HCG-620M 620W ATX12V
    Case
    AZZA Solano 1000 Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front MicroATX/ATX/Full ATX
    Cooling
    Fans. Everywhere. (but they're surprisingly silent)
    Keyboard
    HP USB keyboard, 6 ft cable, Height: 1.1 inch, Width: 6.3 inches, Length: 17.3 inches
    Mouse
    HP USB mouse, 6 ft cable,
    Internet Speed
    36 Mbps download, 6 Mbps upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender + MalwareBytes
I run EX7forW8 so I can't use any apps unless I switch over to the start screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPower
    CPU
    i5 2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe