Do you think Tablets will replace laptops in the future?

The Surface Pro is a lovely device, but $1,000 dollars for it just seems to high for me when I spent almost $1,100 on my desktop rebuild.
That's why I got the Transformer when it was on sale for $329. It is a great machine. Fast and flexible and the battery seems to last forever - they say 11 hours.

The SSD is small but after installing Office and another dozen programs I still have 13.5GB of free space. All my user data is on the 64GB MicroSD card. I also put a couple of images on there - just in case. And should I ever need really large masses of data, I'll put them on my 128GB USB3 stick - I got it for $49.99. It is also good to run virtual machines off it.

I actually had the pleasure of working on one of those just recently. It's actually a very nice little PC. The only thing I had issue with was that it seemed as if a piece of double sided sticky tape was needed on the back left section of it as the case was able to be flexed in a bit. Not a big deal though. The speakers are lovely on that thing! Oh my gosh! That hands down takes the cake for best Windows tablet speakers!

If it had a Wacom stylus, I'd buy it for sure. It would match my ASUS motherboard. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Coke, You are too picky. I actually bought it for my wife. She wanted a small laptop for travel and that was the best price/performer. All the other 10" options with the dismal AMD A4s cannot match it and they cost about the same. Of course I have to maintain the thing so I have to use it from time to time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
The Surface Pro is a lovely device, but $1,000 dollars for it just seems to high for me when I spent almost $1,100 on my desktop rebuild.
That's why I got the Transformer when it was on sale for $329. It is a great machine. Fast and flexible and the battery seems to last forever - they say 11 hours.

The SSD is small but after installing Office and another dozen programs I still have 13.5GB of free space. All my user data is on the 64GB MicroSD card. I also put a couple of images on there - just in case. And should I ever need really large masses of data, I'll put them on my 128GB USB3 stick - I got it for $49.99. It is also good to run virtual machines off it.

I actually had the pleasure of working on one of those just recently. It's actually a very nice little PC. The only thing I had issue with was that it seemed as if a piece of double sided sticky tape was needed on the back left section of it as the case was able to be flexed in a bit. Not a big deal though. The speakers are lovely on that thing! Oh my gosh! That hands down takes the cake for best Windows tablet speakers!

If it had a Wacom stylus, I'd buy it for sure. It would match my ASUS motherboard. :D

Hi there
I think you've answered your own question here --- the configuration you are using is by any stretch of the imagination a PC even if it's called a tablet.

Some tasks need to be done on a more PC like device - other tasks can be accomplished on a simpler device without any extra peripherals (i.e a "classical tablet").

Sure things like micro SD cards and usb sticks can be made smaller and have much larger capacities -- but once you start adding peripherals --even tiny ones to a tablet it essentially becomes a computer -- so the real answer to this thread is actually - that there isn't a real answer.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Jimbo you are right. As soon as you have a keyboard, mouse and lots of storage, it is a computer. The only difference is that you can take off the screen (tablet) part and use that for 'consumption'. But doing serious work on that piece is far fetched.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Hi there
I think you've answered your own question here --- the configuration you are using is by any stretch of the imagination a PC even if it's called a tablet.

Some tasks need to be done on a more PC like device - other tasks can be accomplished on a simpler device without any extra peripherals (i.e a "classical tablet").

Sure things like micro SD cards and usb sticks can be made smaller and have much larger capacities -- but once you start adding peripherals --even tiny ones to a tablet it essentially becomes a computer -- so the real answer to this thread is actually - that there isn't a real answer.

Cheers
jimbo

That's the great thing about the Personal Computer, it can quite literally be whatever you want it to be: desktop, tablet, laptop, or phone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I have a W700, too. It has a wonderful and vivid display, but the battery performance is horrible.

Battery life is what was keeping me from trying out a windows tablet in the first place. The Asus Transformer T100 has pretty good battery life. I get at least 8 hrs of normal use (web browsing, email, some video streaming, sometimes some work).

It is pretty good. My only issue with it is I wish it was an 8" screen. I like the smaller iPad mini form factor (yes I own a rMini and love it). Well the form factor and the cellular connection since I hate having to tether my phone to the laptop for connection while I am out.

But the T100 is a pretty good product with a great price.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Asus
    CPU
    1.2 quad core baytrail
    Memory
    2 GB
    Internet Speed
    TWC Extreme
    Browser
    Chrome
Welcome to Windows EightForums, jupit3r. :)

Not so good, hah? Doesn’t last as the specs say? Are you sure it’s not just a “lemon” battery?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
But the T100 is a pretty good product with a great price.
I absolutely agree. It is a great machine that performs well, has Office included and the battery seems to last forever.

I don't think it would do as well with an 8" screen. I compare it to my Nexus 7 and I think it is much more useable because of the bigger screen. I have a BT keyboard with trackpad for the Nexus too, but it is not the same to operate on the small screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Well I never thought a tablet would replace my 15.6" Acer Aspire, I have had a 7" Android tablet for quite a while and that definitely wouldn't. However, I recently bought a 10.1" Asus Vivotab Smart at Amazon (uk) for only £250 which was approx. half the price from what it was a year ago. It was my understanding that is was designed as a competitor to the I-Pad. It is a fantastic machine with 64 Gb and 2Gb of Ram and a micro SD slot. As a touch typist I can't operate a keyboard one finger at a time. So I bought a keyboard/case, but of course that is too small as well to touch type on. So I started practising using the onscreen longhand keyboard with a cheap stylus. The computer soon picked up my writing style and that is how this post has been written. I also studied the "Speech Recognition" method for dictating & again the tablet is getting used to my voice. I very rarely use my laptop now, just to download MS Updates. So in conclusion I'm saying that the absence of a keyboard doesn't have to be a deterrent for tablet usage.
I don't think I will ever go back to my laptop full-time again, except in emergencies. Everything on my laptop transferred automatically to my tablet, including all my apps. I might add this tablet's battery lasts 9 hours, way longer than my laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 and 10, 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Yoga Pro 1370 (Ultrabook)
    CPU
    Intel (R) 5Y70 @ 1.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo VIUU4
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel (R) HD Graphics 5300
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio Device
    Screen Resolution
    3200 x 1800
    Hard Drives
    256GB SSD
    Samsung MZNTE256HMHP-000L2
    Cooling
    Fan
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, Ccleaner, Malwarebytes.
    Other Info
    Touchscreen,
Back