Do you plan to use third-party antivirus and firewall?

Do you plan to install third-party antivirus and firewall?

• Third party antivirus, Windows 8 firewall

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • Windows 8 antivirus, Third-party firewall

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Third party antivirus and firewall

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Windows 8 antivirus and firewall

Votes: 88 52.7%

• Total voters
Hey Mike.

That was what I'm about to say :p
I was a big fan of ZA while running Win XP. Started from Win 7 ZA had severe compatibility issue. Then I moved to Comodo that have compatible version with Win 7. Then when WDP started, comodo was left with compatibility issue, again.

Well. Starting with WDP I really haven't install any firewall yet. :)

Kevin

Kevin? Forget about Windows 8 DP, unless you're using the tools to write programs with, there has been 2 updates since it came out. CP (Consumers Preview), and now we are working with RP (Release Preview). :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Kevin? I suggest for FireWall duties you go with ZoneAlarm. They have a couple free versions one with, and one without anti-virus.
ZA has always been a strong FW since it was introduced, and gets some of the highest rating from all corners of security, and various magazines. (I.E. PCMag, MPC, Windows Mag, etc.).

***EDIT*** Just finished talking to Tom over at ZA's website, THEY aren't even in the Alpha stage of a version of ZA for Windows 8 yet..Sheesh.

I used ZA when it first came out. It was fund to play with, but I fail to see how that sort of firewall would protect you if your system was compromised by malware.

Cly? You don't install it on a system that has already been compromised. You would install a firewall on a clean system, EVEN before you run Microsoft updates. Cly? if your system is still infected in some manner, I would suggest you to do a HARD format, and reinstall Windows 8RP. To preform one, you go into your BIOS, then to the hardware tools, and format Hard Drive(s). BUT before you do that, GET an accounting of the disk size. (bytes & sectors) When you do a hard format, the entire disk is erased, including bad sectors, partitions, file format, the entire shebang. Would be best if you installed that hard drive, to use the CD/DVD included with it, to put it back to factory specs. Some BIOS include with them, auto-detect and can put your hard drive back, BUT like I said, get an accounting of the drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Though I'm currently with WRP but Haven't really tried any firewall. Comodo is fine with my Win 7, but sometimes it's bugging me a lot with so many pop up asking for program clearance. :(

Kevin

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG Flatron L1742S; LG Flatron 19"; Samsung TV 48"
    Screen Resolution
    1280:1024; 1366:768;1920:1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater
Kevin? I suggest for FireWall duties you go with ZoneAlarm. They have a couple free versions one with, and one without anti-virus.
ZA has always been a strong FW since it was introduced, and gets some of the highest rating from all corners of security, and various magazines. (I.E. PCMag, MPC, Windows Mag, etc.).

***EDIT*** Just finished talking to Tom over at ZA's website, THEY aren't even in the Alpha stage of a version of ZA for Windows 8 yet..Sheesh.

I used ZA when it first came out. It was fund to play with, but I fail to see how that sort of firewall would protect you if your system was compromised by malware.

Cly? You don't install it on a system that has already been compromised. You would install a firewall on a clean system, EVEN before you run Microsoft updates. Cly? if your system is still infected in some manner, I would suggest you to do a HARD format, and reinstall Windows 8RP. To preform one, you go into your BIOS, then to the hardware tools, and format Hard Drive(s). BUT before you do that, GET an accounting of the disk size. (bytes & sectors) When you do a hard format, the entire disk is erased, including bad sectors, partitions, file format, the entire shebang. Would be best if you installed that hard drive, to use the CD/DVD included with it, to put it back to factory specs. Some BIOS include with them, auto-detect and can put your hard drive back, BUT like I said, get an accounting of the drive.

How does a firewall prevent your system from being compromised by a malware that you inadvertently download and install?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
I use Avast internet Security (paid version) on all my computers and find that it does everything that I want it do do and does not seem to slow my computers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Home Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Z87 Sabertooth
    Memory
    16 Gig DDR3-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GT740
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq 27" - Benq 22" - Dell 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 pro 128g SSD
    1xWestern Digital Caviar Green 1TB
    2xWestern Digital Caviar Green 2TB
    PSU
    Seasonic 760 watt platinum
    Case
    HAF-X
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-C12P CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security

How does a firewall prevent your system from being compromised by a malware that you inadvertently download and install?

It DOESN'T I had assumed you had gotten drive by infections, not that you, yourself placed them onto your computer. In this case scenario, I would then suggest you get the paid version of Norton 360 version 6. With that you would be BLOCKED by a full screen message that is telling you of the dangers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail

It DOESN'T I had assumed you had gotten drive by infections, not that you, yourself placed them onto your computer. In this case scenario, I would then suggest you get the paid version of Norton 360 version 6. With that you would be BLOCKED by a full screen message that is telling you of the dangers.

I want a firewall that prevents unwanted connections from the Internet, which MS firewall does nicely. My point is that Zone alarm type firewalls that go to great pains to prevent programs on your machine from accessing the internet, which I think is useless and a waste of time because any sophisticated trojan that has already compromised your system gets around that pretty easily. (MS firewall can also be configured to filter outbound connections by a program but but it's very difficult to set up).

As I said, I first used Zonealarm in 2001 or so, but after playing around with it for a while I came to realize that it's not all that useful. If you can point to some uses for a firewall other than the built-in Windows firewall I would love to know about it.

And by the way, given that most of us download and install dozens of third-party apps, that should be a huge point of concern. Firewalls can give a false sense of security because it give an option to block third party apps from accessing the internet. If those apps have malware worth its salt, they can get around the firewall pretty easily.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
They said Windows Defender was updated for Windows 8 to be like MSE so I use it, but Windows Defender was poor in Windows 7. I have always used the default Windows Firewall.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series
Personally I am using various security solutions. First was Norton 360, and now am using Bull Guard. (Beta testing went live yesterday) I'm liking Bull Guard, nicer interface than Norton 360. BUT pretty looks aren't what counts, it's how the product works.
Bull Guard gave me permission to let Windows 8 know if I find any problems with their product & Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Back to the subject at hand Cly, if YOU want total protection, you should ONLY use a software firewall in conjunction with a hardware firewall. Basic hardware firewalls can be found with most routers. And even so with a hardware router, you need to remember to get new rules when they become available. I, myself find being paranoid helps to keep the bad guys off my systems. I said that because I also have a Cisco hardware firewall too. Internet >>> Router FW >>> Hardware Firewall >>> Software Firewall. And each of them are locked differently so that anyone that ACTUALLY wanted to break into my network, would be driven insane trying to figure out my thought pattern for each of them. And NOW with touchscreen lockouts of the system. I have added a hand motion control motion to get passed the Windows 8 screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Hi there
Ms has re-written parts of Windows which hackers regarded as leaky as a sieve. The whole Memory Heap stuff has been re-coded thereby closing a well used (in Hacker circles) weakness in Windows -- force a memory overflow into a buffer and start messing around there with the nasty stuff.

Finally Ms has well and truly fixed this -- and as this is so central to the kernel of the OS I doubt if Ms will pass these details on to AV suppliers.

IMO the best people to protect an OS are those who coded it in the first place rather than rely on 3rd party suppliers attempting to "Reverse Engineer" bits of Windows and basing their software on the result of their reverse engineering --which could be flawed in the first place or worse could actually open other areas to exploitation by malware writers.

I've long since said that the days of FREE consumer grade AV stuff are over -- there isn't ANY need for this sort of stuff in W8 -- If Windows defender can't defend itself against malware then nobody else will be able to either.

Your best bet is to supply Windows updates frequently and ABOVE ALL safe surfing and NEVER EVER open email - especially with attachments when you don't know the sender (or even if you DO in certain cases !!).

Corporate protection is another matter as it's not only malware that needs to be defended against. You have to be concerned with Denial of Service attacks , massive spam attacks etc etc. The discussion here I presume refers to personal copies of W8 on people OWN laptops / desktops rather than company supplied machines.

I would assume that anybody using a HOME router would certainly enable the built in firewall and regularly check its logs to see if anybody has attempted to attach themselves to your network -- if you use torrent sites - doubly important too.

Other than that and Windows own firewall you shouldn't need any other protection.

I usually go one step further though -- any software I download I try and check out as much as I can on a Virtual machine --only then do I copy it to a real machine. With a Virtual machine if all goes wring then just delete that VM and create a new one. It's rare that you have to test stuff on physical hardware first these days although you do have to do it sometimes --then TAKE BACKUP before you start.

I also never (or extremely rarely) surf the net on a physical machine --I always do it through a small VM just for that purpose. I use a small W8 VM - running off an SSD it's still almost as fast as a physical machine.

On that VM I also have email accounts too so if any rubbish gets through it won't contaminate my main machine.
Hyper-V on W8 allows VM's to run in the background which can be started automatically on Boot. VMware workstation does this too but HYPER-V is FREE with W8.

(120GB SSD allows plenty of space for my primary OS and the VM I use for surfing the web).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Windows 8 antivirus and firewall do good job. If my computer ends up infected then I will install Avast.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Release Preview evaluation 8400 x64
    Dell N 5040
    CPU
    Intel CORE i3
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    its a laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    600 GB
    Internet Speed
    cable modem
Windows 8 antivirus and firewall do good job. If my computer ends up infected then I will install Avast.

If your computer ends up infected do you REALLY think Avast has any better chance of saving it than Windows defender.
I doubt it somehow.

W8 is a WHOLE DIFFERENT BALLGAME to what you might be used to in W7 (or previous windows versions such as Vista or XP).

Note that the rules have SIGNIFICANTLY changed for W8 -- we are all getting bogged down in the whole Metro vs Traditional desktop debate -- but honestly one of the BEST features of W8 is that it's actually quite secure against viruses etc.

Of course no OS can protect you against totally idiotic Surfing and stupid practices like opening emails from "Nigerian Businessman- please pay 1,000 USD so I can release 250,000 dollars and I'll pay you 15,000 for the privilege of being able to use your bank account to get my money out of the country".

If people still fall for scams like that - or "the Canadian Lottery" well you deserve what you get.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Lot of files which I could run on win 7 no longer run on win 8 due to security issues, so I'm sure that the security has been tightened in win 8 which is a good thing

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ultimate (32bit), Win 8 CP (32bit)
    Compaq C734TU
    CPU
    Mobile Intel Celeron 540, 1866 MHz (14 x 133)
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC
    Memory
    1526 MB (1024+512) DDR2 SDRAM-DDR2-667 (333 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GL960/GM965 Chipset - Graphics Controller 0 [C-0]
    Sound Card
    Conexant Cx20561 @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller PCI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG Philips LP154WX4-TLC1
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Momentus 5400.6 500325 2.5" 500GB
    PSU
    Don't Know
    Case
    It's a Laptop
    Cooling
    Internal Cooling
    Keyboard
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB
    Mouse
    Alps Pointing Device Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Mobile Internet upto 256kb
Lot of files which I could run on win 7 no longer run on win 8 due to security issues, so I'm sure that the security has been tightened in win 8 which is a good thing

Do you get the metroie SmartScreen dialog?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I find that the default Windows Defender in 8 will be plenty fine for basically a vast majority of people. After using it since the DP and seeing that it caught about 65-70 percent of the STDs on foreign hard drives, it's pretty solid. It blocks potential attack as well too. Along with system wide SmartScreen from Windows to Internet Explorer, Defender, and UAC, I see solid virus free systems in my future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
As for the programs which no longer run, I would call it 'control issues' rather tban security. We seem to be getting more Apple-like every day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5-3470
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8B75-M LX Plus
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7770
    Sound Card
    SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Iiyama E485S
    Screen Resolution
    1280*1024
    Hard Drives
    1Tb, 500Gb, 500Gb, 250Gb
    PSU
    Antec 430W
Avast+Windows 8 firewall.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung NP530U4B-S02
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2467M @ 1.60GHz
    Motherboard
    SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. 530U3BI/530U4BI/530U4BH (CPU
    Memory
    6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Graphics Card(s)
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series (Samsung)
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    931GB SAMSUNG HN-M101MBB (SATA)
    Internet Speed
    1 MBPS

If your computer ends up infected do you REALLY think Avast has any better chance of saving it than Windows defender.
I doubt it somehow.

W8 is a WHOLE DIFFERENT BALLGAME to what you might be used to in W7 (or previous windows versions such as Vista or XP).

Note that the rules have SIGNIFICANTLY changed for W8 -- we are all getting bogged down in the whole Metro vs Traditional desktop debate -- but honestly one of the BEST features of W8 is that it's actually quite secure against viruses etc.

Of course no OS can protect you against totally idiotic Surfing and stupid practices like opening emails from "Nigerian Businessman- please pay 1,000 USD so I can release 250,000 dollars and I'll pay you 15,000 for the privilege of being able to use your bank account to get my money out of the country".

If people still fall for scams like that - or "the Canadian Lottery" well you deserve what you get.

Cheers
jimbo

cause stone cold said so...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Release Preview evaluation 8400 x64
    Dell N 5040
    CPU
    Intel CORE i3
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    its a laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    600 GB
    Internet Speed
    cable modem
While waiting on the next Beta of NIS 2013 I tried Windows Defender in Windows 8 RP. I have Windows Updates to not install but wait for my go ahead, which prevents WD from auto updating definitions. Also I can not find a setting to schedule a scan. It only gives me manual choices. I wish it had its own updater that could be set to check on a specific schedule and install the update.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
Back