Do consumers really want touchscreen PCs? (Because I don't

I own an iPad, which I love dearly. I use it for lots of things -- games, email, browsing the web, social networking, writing, viewing photos and video, and remote accessing my PC. The iPad, like all tablets, is a true jack of all trades and a master of some too.
But, try as I might, I can’t use it for "real" tasks. While it’s fine for writing small-ish articles on, I could never write a novel on it -- and I’ve tried. For some reason, I just can’t connect with typing on a touchscreen in the same way I do when typing on a proper full-size keyboard. And I could never imagine attempting detailed Photoshop work on a touchscreen either (well, not without a fine stylus at least).

Maybe it’s just because I’ve been using a keyboard and mouse combo for so long that the old control method has become part of who I am when working. I sit down in front of my PC and the mouse and keyboard are there, in my hands without my ever really having to think about what I’m doing.

Do consumers really want touchscreen PCs? (Because I don't)

Personally I'm looking into getting a touch screen for my desktop PC. I have one of those two-foot deep glass computer desks with the glass slide-out keyboard draws. Since the desk is only two-foot deep and with the draw closed I can get close enough to my screen to use touch. I have no problems with my arms tiring since I've worked construction for many years.

Another factor is that I've always disliked the mouse and use mostly keyboard shortcuts. I'm thinking with touch along with a stylus I can throw my mouse away for good. :)

What are your thoughts on the article and/or any scenario of using touch at your desk?

Wow! Five?!! Are they comfortable to use tilted? What about glare? Have you used a stylus?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Wow! Five?!! Are they comfortable to use tilted? What about glare? Have you used a stylus?

glare is horrendous as you can see by the picture.

tilting them back works okay if you're standing up but not so much when you're sitting down.

no experience with a stylus on these

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
The HUGE advantage of the mouse over touchscreens is that you are not forced to keep the monitor screen very close to you. With the mouse you can keep your monitor at a distance.
The mouse allows you to sit in various positions. Two feets on the desk if that's your kick. The touchscreen almost always forces you to take the monitor screen on your lap as soon as you lean back on your chair.
The mouse is also the only option when you slightly rotate the monitor so that several other poeple can watch it.
pcRat said:
Professional digital artists that work with a touch monitor (usually a Wacom one) will ALWAYS use a stylus. When you have the two, the need for the mouse is just not there anymore
I have done a lot of graphics with a stylius and I can tell you that there is absolutely no use in pointing the stylius on the screen instead of a black drawing tablet.
Because computer graphics don't work like paper graphics or oil paintings or other classical mediums. One of the reason for this is that most of the time you work on a zoomed in (200 to 400% usualy) surface. This makes retouching extremely precise. Another reason for that is that the drawing you are working on is not hiden by your own hand and elbow. You don't need to remove your hand and lean backward to admire your art in the creation process.
There are also a lot of operations on graphic documents which are just not as easy with a stylius, like those requiring double clicking and drawing straight lines. Curiousely drawing a straight line is better made with a mouse than a stylius because with the mouse you click and click only when the cursor is there, immobile where the line must end (or start). The stylius because it's held in the air is less stable for such operation and the click action always incure a slight move of the cursor.
Inversly, moving through menus and submenus, clicking buttons and checking options with a stylius is as easy if not easier than with a mouse. But it requires a drawing tablet.
Coke said:
There are similarities of a stylus and a mouse of course, difference is that a stylus is held in your hand in a more natural way than a mouse.
Actualy for many poeple holding a mouse (which they do 8 hour a day) is more natural than holding a pen, which they only do ocasionaly.
I would go as far as saying that the hand of homo modernicus has been geneticaly formed onto the mouse shape to the point that the muscles of the hands are not adapted to holding a pen, a stylius or any vertical tool anymore. ;)
goodintentions said:
you guys have no idea what it's like to introduce the computer to the elderly who have never used a computer in their lives.
Touchscreens are great because they are more intuitive and direct than mice. When an elderly has to use a mouse for the first time, they have to make huge effforts of concentration to move the pointer, not too much on the left, a little bit more on the right, and then press the mouse button. This is already a victory when they succesfuly clicked a link.
Now with touchscreen they can put their finger where they need, something they don't have to learn, and touching the screen has the immediate clicking effect.
But these poeple are like those who don't want to use electric tools because it's too heavy on their hand or because they don't know how to use them. Ok, but what gets the job done faster?
Grand parents who never used a mouse are doomed to stay without it and rely on a touchscreen that they must keep close to their body or on their lap for the rest of their life. They will never enjoy the speed, precision, instant right-click and other advantages of the mouse.
Now take a 4 YO kid who will also use a mouse for the first time. After 10 minutes he will use it with the same ease as you do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x

glare is horrendous as you can see by the picture.

tilting them back works okay if you're standing up but not so much when you're sitting down.

no experience with a stylus on these

Glare is a problem on any screen given wrong light placement or is this a problem with this particular monitor at that angle? I have a time in the day when the sun shines in and have to close the blinds.

Have you used a stylus on other monitors?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I don't blame Microsoft for embracing touch, and I think it's just one more option that can be available for anyone to use based on their personal preferences. It shouldn't have to make mice extinct. For novices or for those a little bit timid with the technology, I'm sure it's something that will appeal to them. Heck, I love using my Surface because the touch aspect makes it so efficient and natural. (Of course, that's for casual use ... if I were to write a novel or something, I think I'd still prefer my desktop.)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built/assembled myself
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X Windforce
    Sound Card
    On-board audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0 TB SATA-3
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Internet Speed
    22 Mbps
    Browser
    IE/Chrome/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, Malwarebytes

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling