Disk usage at 100/100

Sorry I did not get back to you since I saw RON AKA's suggestion to defrag which I missed to mention, Since you still have the problem and we've already tried almost everything.

The only thing left that I can think of is:
  1. Check if have the latest BIOS firmware in your Laptop
  2. Update all drivers from your acer website.
    Acer Drivers & Downloads - Acer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    16 GB G-Skill Trident X @2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    256 GB M2 sm951, (2) 500GB 850EVO, 5TB, 2 TB Seagate
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
Going back through all the appropriate suggestions, I don't see any recommendation that your issue could (possibly) be due to a malware infection. Now, I am not one to recommend how to test for and/or remove malware because that is not my bag. In fact, If I ever became infected, I would do an immediate restore from a recent system image backup to avoid the many pitfalls of trying to remove the malware infection AND repair the subsequent damage. So, I just thought I'd throw that out on the table and ask if you would be willing to do a factory restore (provided you have the discs and/or created them when you first purchased your laptop) and see if that fixes your issue? Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Sorry I did not get back to you since I saw RON AKA's suggestion to defrag which I missed to mention, Since you still have the problem and we've already tried almost everything.

The only thing left that I can think of is:
  1. Check if have the latest BIOS firmware in your Laptop
  2. Update all drivers from your acer website.
    Acer Drivers & Downloads - Acer
hi your links is going to a paid program

don t you have any free alternative?

beside that i ve installed and it shows that all drivers are up to date

thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Looked in Resource Monitor > Disk? Post a snip from when the extreme disk activity occurs.

Also, look in Acer Community - Acer Community looking for any reports of similar problems.

Attachments

• disk.PNG
    disk.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 161

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
Sorry, am a little tired today, only seeing Task Manager & Sysinternals snips, please link to your Resource Monitor snip. btw, here's how it looks on my w8 laptop after a period of no activity from my side. OS itself can be very peaceful indeed if set up\adjusted\working properly.

Attachments

• disk2.PNG
    disk2.PNG
    11.2 KB · Views: 165

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Browser
    FF
i ve just stopped the connectfiy service and the disk usage has decreased for the first time since long....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN8
    Computer type
    Laptop
So it's sorted? Good. Any special reasons for using this program?

What is connectifyd.exe?
Connectify is a software router for Microsoft Windows developed by Connectify. It can enable a Windows PC with a Wi-Fi device to act as a wireless access point. This enables users to share files, printers, and Internet connections between multiple computing devices without the need for a separate physical access point or router.
Connectifyd.exe - Should I Block It? (Connectify)

btw, your Resource Monitor snip above shows perfectly normal disk activity, not taken during the 100% activity you have been writing about. If problem reoccurs, do a new snip when the problem is actually happening.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Browser
    FF
Few things you can check:
  1. go to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows and look for the file
    Windows.edb and check the size of this file. This is a database file associated with Windows Search feature. If it's too big, sometimes it can grow up to many GB's then it might cause high disk usage when Windows Search trying to rebuild the Search index. You can delete this file but first you need to disable the Windows Search service then re-enable after deletion.
  2. Run Task Manager->Startup and disable everything then reboot the PC to see if it fixes the problem then re-enable one by one, reboot until the problem occurs again, then that's the culprit.
  3. Run Task Manager->Details, then right click on the Title->Select Columns and put a check on I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes then click OK. Click on the Title to sort by I/O Read, I/O Write to find out which process utilizing the Disk I/O most and take appropriate action.

Screenshot example:

First post here, just wanted to share what (finally) worked for me for this insanely annoying problem.

It took me over a week of annoyance to figure it out, trying the following methods:
- Deep scanned with Malwarebytes & Spybot numerous times - No effect
- Disabled Write Behind Caching - No effect, re-enabled it
- Locking a set page file - No effect, reset it to auto
- Disabled the Windows Mangagment Instrumentation (WMI) service & subsecquent dependencies (which left me skeptical because it meant I had to leave security centre disabled) - No effect, re-enabled it
- Installed Hyper-V (mentioned in the above post) - No effect

WHAT WORKED:
This post:
http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/32190-disk-usage-100-100-a.html#post284344

I think with my upgrading to Windows 8.1, the search Index wasnt adjusted properly, and became bloated to the tune of 1.5gb. I followed the instructions, and it worked.

I havent re-enabled it yet, but MS just released their usual monthly patches, which Ive now updated, and I will shortly re-enable the Indexing service & hope it works, since Search is such a fundamental feature of 8.1

Cheers!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
I had the same problem which occurred immediately after upgrading from 8 to 8.1. I spent a lot of time following suggestions but what rescued me was coming across a post, which at first I thought was a company promotion, saying that CCLEANER would solve the problem with their registry clean-up tool. And it's free. I downloaded the software and ran the registry cleaner three times (rebooting each time) and problem solved. My disk usage is running along at 5-10% and no more time wasted. I was just about to the point of buying a new computer but have to thank this company for saving me the time and money. QUICK, EASY & FREE

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Disk usage 100% + freezing while transferring data

guys

i have an hp envy i7 with 12 giga ram and 1 tb disk

it was upgraded to win 8.1 then sometimes 2 weeks ago it s started freezin have 100% usage so i prefered to refresh it and it came back to win 8 but the issue is still there.
i ve also noticed that when i wanted to back up data using external hdd via usb, the 100% disk was there and then it s freezing and stopping to write while the reading continue for a while.

the usage is back to normal if i succeed in stopping the transfer

i ve done chkdsk inside win 8 ,didnt show up anything

didn t tried chkdsk at boot

what could be the reason?

thanks in advance for your help

ps i m running dism fixing now and it s a 100% again

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN8
    Computer type