Did we all just witness Windows start to die?

The idea of "the death of the PC" is just that -- it's an idea. It's a hook that, if you believe in it (and I do), it can be quite informative about what seems to be happening to the PC industry, and the wider computer industry in which it sits.
But most people do not like the complexity that comes with power and flexibility. Some people just want to give their parents a box that lets them have a video call with the grandkids from time-to-time, and don't want to have to futz around configuring anti-virus software.
The reason why people buy smartphones and tablets isn't because they are necessary better or more worthy than PCs. People buy them because they now have the option to -- i.e. they can.
Go back five years and there was no choice. That last example of grandparents Skyping the grandkids -- that would have needed a PC. Now it can be done with a free-on-contract smartphone. Or an iPad, a Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, etc.
Surface RT was, by design, a good enough post-PC device implementation to compete with iPad and Android in that post-PC market. It ticked enough boxes to make a good showing -- certainly more boxes than Old Windows did.
But we know that Surface RT, and Windows RT has failed in terms of numbers.
More importantly, Surface RT also failed in terms of philosophy, taking the whole of the Windows 8 Project with it. The principle of the project -- namely that the post-PC was getting it wrong and that people were desperately after a "PC Plus" -- has now been shown to be flawed.
Microsoft has to stop selling Windows as a competitor to the iPad, and start selling Windows Phone as a competition to iPhone and iPad, and also as competition to Android smartphones and tablets.
Or to put it another way, if you're looking to compete in a market of oranges, maybe go out there with oranges, rather than try and convince people that they actually want lemons.
Did we all just witness Windows start to die? | ZDNet

There's already a NIX OS that is a single distro and well supported called OSX and yet it's only managed some 7% market share in 12 year's of existence (surpassing Linux market share BTW). Even with all the Windows 8 "issues" people are not jumping ship, they are either staying on their current version or upgrading to 8. If they decide to jump ship it won't be to Linux, your average consumer is going to want a supported OS they are not going to go to forums looking for help.

The Linux dream lives on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Yes, it certainly does. It runs Apache on the majority of web servers, it runs significant installs of mySQL databases for forums, it's responsible for the majority of BIND servers running DNS across the world wide web, it's the OS running Sendmail, the most popular and heavily used MTA's out there, and it's the core OS for a myriad of storage devices, standalone appliance servers and the root of hypervisors like vmware, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
There's already a NIX OS that is a single distro and well supported called OSX and yet it's only managed some 7% market share in 12 year's of existence (surpassing Linux market share BTW). Even with all the Windows 8 "issues" people are not jumping ship, they are either staying on their current version or upgrading to 8. If they decide to jump ship it won't be to Linux, your average consumer is going to want a supported OS they are not going to go to forums looking for help.

Never heard of NIX, so am downloading now to give it a try. . .Thanks. . .:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Yes, it certainly does. It runs Apache on the majority of web servers, it runs significant installs of mySQL databases for forums, it's responsible for the majority of BIND servers running DNS across the world wide web, it's the OS running Sendmail, the most popular and heavily used MTA's out there, and it's the core OS for a myriad of storage devices, standalone appliance servers and the root of hypervisors like vmware, etc.

Yea, that's exactly what your average consumer would use Linux for, we've been clearly talking desktop in this thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Hi there
There's a HUGE difference in using SERVERS especially in an enterprise setting and normal HOME desktop users -- I'll bet there are even quite a few on THIS very forum who don't know what BIND or DNS servers are etc etc.

Most people want a system that works STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX or if they have to install something then it should ideally be a "1-click" install. Nobody is going to want (as a home user) to have to "Load kernel modules" or start compiling stuff or run elaborate C-Shell scripts to get applications running.

Linux isn't going to cut it for the main desktop unless it's something like ANDROID on a tablet - (or Apple's OS). Apple has problems in that it's too restrictive and Android is about as leaky as a sieve with no real desktop applications available for it yet --works fine on a mobile phone but a Desktop ?????.

There really isn't ANY sensible competition for Windows yet -- that doesn't mean to say that ANDROID couldn't become so in the future -- the Chrome book was a decent idea but basing it entirely on Web services was a step too far for it ever to become a mainstream player.

Apache is probably the one type of server system that a Home user might be using or have some knowledge about but the rest of the stuff ???.

"Deam on" as a previous poster quoted.

I've found my own solution -- I'm running Windows to Go on an external SSD with XP and W7 as VM's running on it -- response time of the VM's is actually pretty reasonable even if the SSD is connected to a USB2 slot -- on a USB 3 slot performance is very reasonable indeed - the Windows to go system is actually FASTER than the HOST system which was on a slowish spinner !!!.

I can keep the W7 and XP VM's running for as long as I need whatever the future direction of Windows - and the Windows to Go being VL (Volume license as it's based on W8 Enterprise) won't trouble me with activations when used on different computers.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Its my opinion (note the word 'opinion') that the reason PC sales are suffering is because of Windows 8. Sure, tablet purchases are high, but the PC is still a very necessary piece of hardware, and is not going to go away, at least not within the next 20 years or so.

You can't run a business and have productive employees with only tablets or smartphones; it just isn't going to happen. Name one tablet with the power to run something like AutoCAD (for architects) or Solidworks (3d design)? It doesn't exist.

If Windows 8.2 or 8.3, or maybe even 9 or 10 is designed more for desktops rather than tablets and has the same ease of use as Win 7, PC sales will come back. And so would the sales of Windows. Corporate America is avoiding Win 8; that's why sales of Win 8 (and PC's) are suffering.

hey, not to be a jerk but United Airlines stole the employee owned airline, stripped us of pesion, retirement, they bought Continental Airlines, threw away their custom made OS...I was squeezed out because I was one of the 2 International Government badged employees, fired the day after Christmas...Emloyees, Passengers, FAA, DOT, TSA...etc...there is big trouble in Shangrila...all because of CEO greed of Glenn Tilton...the company the word knew...got so dirty no one will touch it. I dunno about you but, Boeing is here in the USA...They train the mechanics...now...its the work is being done in places like the Phillipines.

Anyway, IE11 doesn't let you do anything but tabs on the desktop...I liked open windows...is there a trick I can use?

Adam

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    toshiba satellite p875-s7310
I swapped my customised Ubuntu theme into Linux Mint MATE 14 and it worked without any problems.

Yep, that portability a good thing, especially if you got accustomed to the older themes and you have own custom versions from other OSes. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
There's already a NIX OS that is a single distro and well supported called OSX and yet it's only managed some 7% market share in 12 year's of existence

One of the funniest things I have heard in a while, thanks. Quite bizarre. In the unlikely event somebody else hadn't noticed, Apple have chosen to operate only in a particular sector.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Yea, that's exactly what your average consumer would use Linux for, we've been clearly talking desktop in this thread.

I know, I understand. it just seems people try to make Linux into something that it's not. As being discussed, for many reasons, it's not really ideal on the desktop. But just because it doesn't live and excel on the desktop, doesn't make it bad in any way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Most people want a system that works STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX or if they have to install something then it should ideally be a "1-click" install. Nobody is going to want (as a home user) to have to "Load kernel modules" or start compiling stuff or run elaborate C-Shell scripts to get applications running.
Agreed. Too much hardware is made for Windows and OSX and that's it. No drivers, no support. Even as a Linux guy, it's rare that I have to load kernel modules manually and I don't hardly ever compile my own software anymore. Most of that stuff has improved dramatically.

There really isn't ANY sensible competition for Windows yet -- that doesn't mean to say that ANDROID couldn't become so in the future -- the Chrome book was a decent idea but basing it entirely on Web services was a step too far for it ever to become a mainstream player.
Agreed that there isn't a decent alternative, except for Apple and OSX. The Chromebook was never intended to be a personal computer, it's a web surfing device. Works great for that.

"Deam on" as a previous poster quoted.
I still maintain Linux isn't a dream. It works great. You gotta use it in the right location. Unfortunately, for consumer grade hardware, the vendors don't care and don't have a reason to make drivers available. Unless you are really savvy, not suitable for the desktop. < That fact doesn't bother me one bit.

I can keep the W7 and XP VM's running for as long as I need whatever the future direction of Windows - and the Windows to Go being VL (Volume license as it's based on W8 Enterprise) won't trouble me with activations when used on different computers.
There isn't a volume license key anymore for Windows. It's either KMS or MAK. The MAK key allows multiple activations, but it's certainly not unlimited.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

I am running Ubuntu 13.04. Everything works straight out of the box. Home users do not have to do any mucking around. Only geeks who want to add extra context menu items, etc will need to delve a bit. You also need to do that to for the same kind of things in Windows.

There really isn't ANY sensible competition for Windows yet

Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I am running Ubuntu 13.04. Everything works straight out of the box. Home users do not have to do any mucking around. Only geeks who want to add extra context menu items, etc will need to delve a bit. You also need to do that to for the same kind of things in Windows.
But what works on your hardware straight out of the box, might not work at all without lots of mucking around for the next person.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
There are quite a few on 7 forums running ubuntu13 /mint15. Theirs all work staright out of the box as far as I know.

I suppose there might be some oem machines which require special drivers - they need those for windows as well. It is possible in a few cases they aren't available for ubuntu.

If oem machines shipped with ubuntu pre installed, obviously they would have any oem specific drivers, and would work staright out of the box as well.

I don't get where all this busines about linux being difficult comes from . My gran can use it without the slightest difficulty. We are talking about consumer market, and Ubuntu /mint current derivatives are ideal for average consumers.

It is different if you are using server versions, or some weird esoteric distro. That is not what I am talking about.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Anyway, IE11 doesn't let you do anything but tabs on the desktop...I liked open windows...is there a trick I can use?

Adam

Right click any link and open in new window or hit ALT on your keyboard to bring up the top menu and under File select New Window.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Open Link in a New Window

Hold the "Shift Key + Left Click" on the link to open it in a new window.

Hold the "Ctrl Key + Left Click" on the link to open it in a new tab.

These combos works in FF and IE (unless MS "improved" IE11 by getting rid of them).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Back