Solved Deleted ALL partitions on Surface Pro - Now I can't boot

You need to disable secure boot first. Volume up then power button, then disable secure boot save and exit.
To boot to usb you use volume down then power button. It will see your usb or dvd drive and then boot to it.
I just did this to my surface pro to make an image.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS M1730
You need to disable secure boot first. Volume up then power button, then disable secure boot save and exit.
To boot to usb you use volume down then power button. It will see your usb or dvd drive and then boot to it.

All Genuine Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 x64 DVD, or UEFI USB drive will boot with SECURE BOOT ENABLED.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

All Genuine Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 x64 DVD, or UEFI USB drive will boot with SECURE BOOT ENABLED.

That’s good to know that it will work with a Windows 8/8.1DVD. I had to disable secure to boot to an Acronis DVD to make an image ofWindows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell XPS M1730

Finding out though if you are making a copy from a .iso, Secure Boot has to be turned off to do the install. I keep it off on both of our laptops in our household, due to it was giving nothing but headaches, with Secure Boot turned on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.
Well, my mistake. I tried booting to the Acronis boot media one more time and it did go through. Maybe the last time I didn't have the volume- button pressed properly.

So now I know bootable USB is still able to work on some level.
I guess I'll just keep trying different ways of building a Win8 bootable USB, even though the ones I've tried so far are working fine on my desktop.

Thanks everyone.
When everything is done. go to tuxboot.org and download Tuxboot, to make a Clonezilla USB Pendrive, to back up the unit. I have found that Acronis with the latest edition, along with others, that it is not playing nice with Windows 8.

I have not had any issues using Clonezilla to make images of the drives of our units. A whole lot faster then using Acronis also.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.

Finding out though if you are making a copy from a .iso, Secure Boot has to be turned off to do the install. I keep it off on both of our laptops in our household, due to it was giving nothing but headaches, with Secure Boot turned on.

All Genuine Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 x64 DVD, or UEFI USB drive will boot with SECURE BOOT ENABLED. Also DVD/USB drive made from a Genuine Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 x64 ISO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Okay, I finally found a way to make the USB stick bootable with a Windows OS on it.

Create bootable USB for UEFI | Windows 8 content from Windows IT Pro

Most USB boot sticks are formatted as NTFS, which includes those created by theMicrosoft Store Windows USB/DVD download tool. UEFI systems (such asWindows 8) can't boot from an NTFS device, only FAT32.
Therefore you need to create a bootable USB device that's formatted as FAT32 instead, then copy the contents of the Windows installation media to it. For example use the commands below to create a FAT32-formatted USB device:

1. Open an elevated command prompt, then start the diskpart utility:
    diskpart.exe

2. List all the disks and identify your USB stick:
    list disk

3. Select the disk number that is your USB stick, e.g.,:
    select disk 4

4. Remove all existing partitions:
    clean

5. Create a new partition, make it active and format as FAT32, then assign a drive letter:
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format quick fs=fat32
    assign

6. Exit diskpart:
    exit

Example of Diskpart Output in Response to Commands Above
The final step is to copy all the files from the Windows install media to the USB device--for example, where d: is my ISO mount of Windows media and f: is my USB stick:

xcopy d:\* f:\ /s /e

You can now boot your UEFI system and install Windows from this FAT32 USB drive. (See my FAQ about installing UEFI to a Windows machine.)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro
Back