Solved Default gateway not available

It's been three days since updating Windows and getting a new registry/etc, and it's still happening. Granted a bit less often, but still multiple times a day...I'd even say at least once every three hours; and that's being generous. Having a desktop that is plugged in via ethernet and has zero problems whatsoever doesn't help shed any further light on the matter, does it?

Anyway, I'm beginning the clean start process now. Anything else I should know or expect or try before posting again?

Be sure and disable the power saving feature on the Power Management tab from Device Manger.

This particular adaptor, the Intel 4965AGN can be somewhat problematic, according to Intel it's not even supported? although there is a Microsoft base driver it may not work correctly.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/32614

Which doesn't make sense because I found an Intel driver for Windows 8 "not 8.1" for the 4965AGN at the link below. Maybe this driver version is different than one you are using so check the driver version on it because it may be worth a try.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Se...ductProduct=Intel®+Wireless+WiFi+Link+4965AGN

Attachments

• Intel not supported Intel 4965AGN.PNG
    Intel not supported Intel 4965AGN.PNG
    19.3 KB · Views: 157

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
When I was testing Windows 8 on a laptop, it had an older Intel wireless adapter. (Pro/Wireless 3945ABGN)

Extremely often enough to where it caused temporary freezes even, the Event Logs would fill with 5001 (or similar, number could be wrong, it's from vague memory) errors. Like dozens or hundreds per second.

I tried every trick I could think of to stop it and was unsuccessful. I went as far as to disable logging, but that broke the driver from working, if you could believe that at all. (It doesn't make sense, but that is the tested results.)

Many others were complaining of the issue and I wasn't able to locate any apparent fix.

I installed an older driver to test if it would happen. I don't think it did, but it broke something else and the results were even more unsatisfactory (can't remember what though.) - so I re-installed latest and lived with it.

Just some info. ^^^

Windows 7 is running beautifully on this machine. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
Clean boot didn't help, it still has the same issue. Following your helpful link to the intel download center...I may be crazy but I can't actually find a download link for my WiFi Link 4965AGN. Am I missing something? It's an internal adapter that came with the laptop. Would swapping to an external one take care of this issue, you think? I may still have one or two of those floating around somewhere...though they are probably just as old or older...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
When I was testing Windows 8 on a laptop, it had an older Intel wireless adapter. (Pro/Wireless 3945ABGN)

Extremely often enough to where it caused temporary freezes even, the Event Logs would fill with 5001 (or similar, number could be wrong, it's from vague memory) errors. Like dozens or hundreds per second.

I tried every trick I could think of to stop it and was unsuccessful. I went as far as to disable logging, but that broke the driver from working, if you could believe that at all. (It doesn't make sense, but that is the tested results.)

Many others were complaining of the issue and I wasn't able to locate any apparent fix.

I installed an older driver to test if it would happen. I don't think it did, but it broke something else and the results were even more unsatisfactory (can't remember what though.) - so I re-installed latest and lived with it.

Just some info. ^^^

Windows 7 is running beautifully on this machine. :)

Yeah, none of this happened before upgrading to windows 8. Not that it began immediately following the upgrade either, but it definitely wasn't having issues before it. I really regret the upgrade. Should I downgrade?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Would swapping to an external one take care of this issue, you think?

...in addition to disabling the current Intel one in the bios (better) or Device Manager...and considering my previous post...obvious answer is yes, as long as what you use has at least decent Windows 7 drivers. 8/new better of course.

Atheros-based ones are a good solid bet. Drivers: ATHEROS drivers for Microsoft Windows (Atheros?????)

or Realtek-based ones: Realtek

Should I downgrade?

The answer to that is based on which of the two choices you find more undesirable:

1. Getting a new USB wireless adapter that will work well with Windows 8.
  2. Having to re-setup the system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
Clean boot didn't help, it still has the same issue. Following your helpful link to the intel download center...I may be crazy but I can't actually find a download link for my WiFi Link 4965AGN. Am I missing something? It's an internal adapter that came with the laptop. Would swapping to an external one take care of this issue, you think? I may still have one or two of those floating around somewhere...though they are probably just as old or older...

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can't find the link? Can't you just go to the link I posted and then click where it says operating system "Windows 8" and the correct driver will show up > https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Se...ductProduct=Intel®+Wireless+WiFi+Link+4965AGN

If you can't get the internal one working you can replace the internal one or just get a USB wireless NIC which are cheap, for example the D-Link DWA-140 which works fine for me with 8.1, drivers install automatically etc. for like 10 bucks > Amazon.com: d-link dwa-140

Or, have you tried to install this driver in compatibility mode for Windows 8.1>?

I'm also hoping that you did indeed disable the power saving feature as it's been known to cause this problem? "picture of this setting below".

You can also try typing the default gateway IP into the IPv4 properties static settings which can fix the problem in some cases. You just need the gateway of your router for this then open up IPv4 properties and fill in the gateway IP.
Windows 7 Unidentified Network, Limited Access, No Internet Connection Problem Resolved

Either way I'd stick with 8.1 because most likely Intel will come out with working driver for the 4965AGN

Attachments

• uncheck power managment.PNG
    uncheck power managment.PNG
    20.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Can't you just go to the link I posted and then click where it says operating system "Windows 8" and the correct driver will show up > https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Se...ductProduct=Intel®+Wireless+WiFi+Link+4965AGN

That's what I had been trying to do, so I'm reassured that I wasn't having a stupid moment. However, when I filter it down to Windows 8 (it shows two options then)...clicking on one of the two links just routes me to a detailed description of the driver and doesn't actually allow a download of any sort. Seems odd to me, so I still wonder if I'm missing something.

If you can't get the internal one working you can replace the internal one or just get a USB wireless NIC which are cheap, for example the D-Link DWA-140 which works fine for me with 8.1, drivers install automatically etc. for like 10 bucks > Amazon.com: d-link dwa-140

Or, have you tried to install this driver in compatibility mode for Windows 8.1>?

Funny you would mention that...I went out this morning and bought the D-Link DWA 182 just in case I can't get this internal one working.

I'm also hoping that you did indeed disable the power saving feature as it's been known to cause this problem? "picture of this setting below".
Yes, I did disable that. In fact, before I even began this thread that is the first step I tried.

You can also try typing the default gateway IP into the IPv4 properties static settings which can fix the problem in some cases. You just need the gateway of your router for this then open up IPv4 properties and fill in the gateway IP.
Windows 7 Unidentified Network, Limited Access, No Internet Connection Problem Resolved

I'll try that now.

Either way I'd stick with 8.1 because most likely Intel will come out with working driver for the 4965AGN

Okay :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Yes when I try to find the driver it leads me in circles so it seems that Intel doesn't really have a driver for the 4965AGN which is what I quoted earlier with the screen shot showing no support.

The DWA-182 is made for the newer 802.11ac and so you would also require a compatible ac router for this NIC to work "reliably".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
The white flag has been raised. I took the D-link back and exchanged it for a long enough of an ethernet cord to do the trick. Maybe if they ever provide Win8 support for this internal adapter I'll switch back, but this rig only has to last me a little while longer anyway.

Thanks so much, to both of you, for all of your help and communication. You both were always so prompt, concise, and genuinely helpful. I really really appreciate it!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Yeah, you're welcome.

For what it's worth, as great and on point as Chev's ideas are about using a static ip address (I always do anyway) and changing the power setting (one of the first things I tried as a temp. test), it still didn't fix the event log errors (dozens or hundreds per second.)

I even tried editing the install .inf in certain ways which I though would do the trick, but in the end, no dice.

Enjoy the wired. lol :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon