Dear readers: How would you change or improve Windows 8?

[h=1]
Dear readers: How would you change or improve Windows 8?[/h] Summary: Criticize or evangelize: some love it but many hate it: Windows 8. Dear readers, what changes would you make before you are swayed into buying Microsoft's latest offering?

By Zack Whittaker for Between the Lines
August 23, 2012 -- 12:28 GMT (05:28 PDT)

Windows 8 has been called many things: a "design disaster," an "unmitigated disaster," and even been likened to Vista, which is perhaps a little harsh. That said, it has also dubbed a "fresh start" for Microsoft.

The code is final, the hardware and computer makers have the finalized software, and ordinary users and enterprise customers will receive the updated Microsoft operating system later this year in October.

Yet many customers are wary over purchasing licenses or upgrading to Windows 8 in fear that the new interface is too confusing. That's the crux of the matter: people like to know where things are and on the most part do not like radical change.

In one real-life, hands-on demonstration of the barriers faced by ordinary users, Chris Pirillo sat his father down at a fresh install of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (which has since been released to manufacturing albeit with a pretty weak 'tutorial') and left him to his own devices. It's painful to watch, but it rounds-up exactly how many feel about the design of the new operating system.

more

I moved onto WLM when introduced. I tried to implement it in 8, but to no avail. The 8 Mail app stinks and has a very long way to go so to compare with those two.
I was able to install and run WLM on W8 Enterprise no problemo. And that was only a few days ago.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
That's good to hear while I wasn't expecting to hear much about any problems since it's still Live Hotmail. Soon however you will be hearing more about the new outlook.com site.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
While I don't care for metro or the default apps with it I see metro as the start button and I'm in the desktop all the time. Actually just moving the mouse to the bottom right corner and clicking search gives me everything I may want to open. I have been using mail on the metro side which is very limited in options and settings as all metro apps seem to be.

I might install an email client on the desktop side. It would help if the desktop side and metro side talk or interacted with each other better like the email giving me a notification in the desktop side etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Well that's the whole thing. How you work with 8 is still going to be quite a bit different from any other version even with the addons like Classic Shell. It's not simply the Start screen and Start button and menu changes but the overall layout.

With the Start menu you still had the search box there but not with the addons for 8 howevver in order to find things besides programs like services.msc and other system processes, policy settings, etc. Now it will become a search and discard mission of sorts!

As for Live Hotmail which MS will be dumping in favor of the outlook.com you have the option there to install locally on the drive as well as simply logging in at the Live login site. Plus you can easily import and send mail with different email clients all from one main window. With 4 or 5 Live accounts here for different things I have everything all wrapped together on both 7 and for 8 as well(on VBox presently).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
One thing that keeps me going back to my windows 7 installation is the lack of easy access to recent apps and documents. I'm so used to downloading a file and then opening the start menu and going to the recent items menu to open the file.

You could try this for Recent Items
Make a shortcut to <user folder>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent on the desktop, then right-click and 'Pin to Start'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
I'd like to see a USB mousepad. Just like a Wacom but can be used with fingers or stylus.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Actually these days you can find a finger mouse! I'm nor referring to a trackball mouse but a tiny job you hold between two fingers like the one seen at one finger mouse for computer - Bing Images

A fast Bing search can reveal a great number of innovations such as a mouse you can hold in one hand and not one that requires any mouse pad since it has a trackball. As for usb mouse pads those are finger controlled to start with just like the touch pads on a laptop or a select number of keyboards. Most could allow a round tipped stylus as well. You just can't have one that would leave permanent depressions however. A soft tip type round cap that slides across the surface easy would be the thought on that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Put the 'eye-candy' back, and stop pushing us towards the 'cloud'.

Then, I'd be happy.

I can easily live with the rest of the OS as it stands (OK, I've tweaked it a 'bit').

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
I've seen a few of these videos and every time I watch them, I always want to say to the people in the video, "You almost friggin' had it!!!!"

But if I were asked what to make Windows 8 better...

View attachment 8079

It would have to be a more metroized and modernly designed Desktop with ALL the Aero iconography removed and replaced with neater metro styled icons like Office 2013 has. Also, I would add the luscious and so uber smooth UI feel of Office 2013 into the Desktop. I'd also want Control Panel redesigned to look more like PC Settings so it's simple and clean looking. I'm asking for every vestige of vista gone for good.

If Microsoft added more of the metro style in the Desktop, I'd think it would be more of a hit, at least for me! :p

I HATE the design of office 2013 -- far too bright etc etc.

I'd allow much more customisation of tiles -- run some like Gadgets on the std desktop and also aloe expanding tiles for example say an Office 2013 tile -- click on the tile and it expands or "Explodes" into "sub tiles -- EXCEL etc.

I'd actually radicalize W8 completely

1) REMOVE -- Yes REMOVE the Std desktop App completely -- before you hold up your hands in horror - read on

2) Start Standard applications such as Office directly BUT IN A WINDOW so you can run these either windowed or full screen at will

3) make the use of multiple monitors somewhat easier

4) tidy up some of the current Metro apps so they can easily be "Windowed" if required so you can run these concurrently and view them at the same time -- On a phone / tablet this isn't necessary but using a LARGE MONITOR often running stuff in full screen mode doesn't "Cut it" -- real waste of Screen real estate.

5) To get rid of the desktop COMPLETELY we'd need something like a toolbar "Gadget" so we could launch new applications from within existing Windows or even via customized toolbars visible in the "Charms area". There's no reason whatsoever why for instance say I'm running EXCEL and I want to start Photoshop -- Should just be able to move mouse to charms area - click on toolbar and start Photoshop -- no need top ever see a DESKTOP.!!!! and the functionality for using traditional apps is maintained - probably makes the OS even "Leaner and meaner" too if a Desktop environment doesn't have to be maintained.

Ms -- KILL THE DESKTOP -- IT'S NOT NEEDED ANY MORE -- So long as "classical apps" run directly in Windowed mode. You should have done this in the first place -- Let's BREAK FROM THE PAST.

As for new devices to replace a mouse -- you even have things like Eye tracking stuff -- have you ever seen Dr Hawkins programs on the universe on TV -- there's almost no limit to the sort of devices you can attach to a computer to provide input (and output).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
The ALT-Enter key works just fine for full screen-windowed mode toggling. You see that in just about any pc games that allows a windowed mode while some won't. See the problem about not having a desktop to begin with? Many desktop softwares also lack the windowed mode option since they are designed for full screen such as media playback with a quick access type hide itself tool bar that will appear when moving the mouse to exit.

No Wallpaper to look at? Gee how would MS promote it's new Bing desktop option without any desktop there to put it on? :roflmao:

I don't think you will see MS strip away the main product they have thrived but have to start getting back to the basics and remember the desktop platform still needs a desktop gui to work with! The multiple additional steps required philosophy expressed in 8 where you have to take more time to do the exact same things you did in one or two is "unproductive" as the end result and is fact not fiction or personal preference. When the top desktop designers for the competition come out and scratch their heads wondering where MS is going with 8 in the long run you know MS made a goober!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Personally, I like the lock screen. The big clock gives it a purpose.

I'd like to see the unused portion of the lock screen turned into a chalkboard for communicating messages, appointments etc.
Without the hassles of going through the charms bar.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
The Lock screen is something you should be seeing as new in a new desktop version much like you saw Vista with a new side bar and gadgets for the first time. 7 advanced that further by no longer needing the side bar to run gadgets on the desktop. That was progression of Windows as far as the desktop platform in regards to "eye candy" features to appeal to the desktop user to upgrade into the newer version.

What happened besides that in 8 is the new look for the task manager that was much needed, and the overall improvement in security with MS actually putting in something that works for a change was at the cost of other features that had been included in different versions until now. The Windows core was stripped down on the features and options sides to put working items in showing some progressions there while not maintaining the idea of an updated desktop theme to replace Aero but instead stripped Aero out entirely to substitute with the RT gui? not designed for the desktop platform to begin with.

Can you still get around in 8? That you can do while for everyone the entire process is awkward and clumsy at first! I have someone I know dyslexic with a reading disability that can find IE to check the mail. Whoopie! For the repetitive tasks and opening more then one app at the same time you then need items pinned to the taskbar, have something like RocketDock, CircleDock in use, or do what i have been doing since Vista of adding additional tool bars that serve as jump menus from the main task bar and keep the Start orb for searching for a service with a command in the search box, run something at the Start>Run command line, open Accessories or System Tools, or simply right click to copy or create a new shortcut I then add to one of the jump list type menus.

When stripping away the Start menu to substitute the Touch & Swipe RT type gui however MS took everything you could readily find with ease in the traditional Start>All Program and even Accessories, System Tools, Settings off of Start plus the Run and simply spread and hid things all over the place. The Crawley hides away not only the shutdown options but Apps and a limited number of settings not all settings and no Control Panel to find there.

Down where the new popup for Start screen appears you right click to bring up hopefully a new menu other then the Personilzations screen from the desktop when hitting just the right spot that is. You find some settings and finally the Control Panel in that hidden menu. Gee wasn't that seen in Start>Settings where you could get right at it in two steps instead of scratching your head not knowing about hidden right click menus without formal instructions provided?

This will be the one for the books in years to come when people look back and realize that MS could have done a better job for the non tablet platform and worked out a new form of Desktop with tuochscreen capability that still met the desktop needs and not simply toss the Tablet type gui on and call it a day. That's the harsh reality people!

The Start screen itself while the Start>All Programs could have easily seen a revision is big, awkward, clumsy, and as most have found contains "large ugly buttons' and scrolls endlessly off the screen when you add a few extra programs on! Search and Discovery mission as you scroll endlessly to the right will far more then just the single would have been desktop shortcut found but the help.doc becomes more clutter for each program install as well as seeing the uninstall button taking up even more desktop space since the "Modern" approach(or reproach as some would call it) takes up the entire screen while the little old Start menu came up or dropped down on one sides of the screen only!

With 7 the "most used frequently" apps had a separate place on the Start menu there for ease of access. In 8 you might have to scroll a long way through several screen fulls in order to get at the same if loading a good number of programs on with the exception of the catagory option to somewhat group things together. Then and only then once you find something you still may pin it to the taskbar just the same as you would have in 7. Only this time it's a bit more cumbersome when going to do that having to go through a bit more effort in first locating some button while the lost Start>All Programs keep it together!

Well gee if you have a touchscreen on your desktop(which one friend got sick of fast and reverted back to 7) you can swipe the screen fast to find the app you want to pin on the task bar. But for those of us still using point and click plan a full day ahead! :sleepy::rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
"Search Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8 this is a most helpful taskbar shortcut.
One click and you are in the full start menu with search box. The icons are smaller.
One click anywhere on the start screen lets you scroll left and right.
If you don't like scrolling, type the first letter of the program you are looking for, anywhere On-Screen (not just in the search box) and its icon will appear before your eyes.

Actually, if a person really wants to stay on the desktop and run 8, they can. They would only need the Programs toolbar and File Explorer pinned to the taskbar. File Explorer will give them access to anywhere on the computer. But the shortcut above also helps when you don't like straining your eyes on small print.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Hi there
Easy one here -- allow custom toolbars to be visible from the CHARMS BAR -- if you read my post about how you can almost replicate making a Start menu by using Custom toolbars I think you could make your system much more convenient by having just the programs you are interested in in decent groups rather than have everything either in tiles or in a full menu.

read my post here.

http://www.eightforums.com/customiz...without-using-3rd-party-apps-system-mods.html

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I have my own addon toolbars already pinned in 7 but 7 still has a main power botton as well as things already organized lke "Settings" and the Control Panel where you can find it not try to find just the right spot on the desktop to right click not to bring up the Personalization screen to change wallpaper, theme, or screen res but to find the only reference to the CP in a right click menu tucked down in where the Start screen popup appears!

The entire layout was designed for Tablet period and there is no way to dismiss that. It doesn't belong on the desktop platform to begin with but MS still gets away with it! As far as pinning the "C:\ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\" folder you can do that with any folder to see a new Quick Launch toolbar! Besides the old Quick Launck bar replaced by pinning things to the taskbar simply creating a new addon QL bar is nothing new. Quick Launch - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Back