Copy files over temporary LAN between Intra-HomeGroup PCs

No one? The starting point would be a solution to recognize a router-less network as a home network, give it a name, and remember it whenever it is plugged in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I just thought I'd chip in and take issue with those bashing HomeGroup - yes by default it only shares the standard Windows libraries (Music, Videos and so on) but going to the share tab in a folder and selecting share with HomeGroup means I can share any folder I want - and it works perfectly. Every single time!

No need to make things more complicated than they are if HomeGroup does the job.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire V5-571
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2365M @ 1.40Ghz
    Memory
    6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS547575A9E384 - 750GB
    Internet Speed
    4-6 Mb
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Microsoft (Windows 8.1)
Broe23, please just take it from me, I want an optimal solution for this, not just settle for what is easily doable. Being long, troublesome, inconvenient in the short term is fine by me, if I can get to a qualitatively better solution. After all, I'm the kind of guy who does Boot Windows 7/8 from GPT on BIOS system : No hybrid MBRs or DUET! - Windows 7 Help Forums because I want to avail the benefits of a new partitioning scheme without having new firmware, despite Microsoft saying that it's not supported.

I don't have a dual-band router, else maybe I'd have taken your advice. I only have Wifi-N 300Mbps. Trust me, that is just not enough.

And your Wi-Fi N 300mbs is not a router? You have no LAN plugs in the back?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
Broe23, please just take it from me, I want an optimal solution for this, not just settle for what is easily doable. Being long, troublesome, inconvenient in the short term is fine by me, if I can get to a qualitatively better solution. After all, I'm the kind of guy who does Boot Windows 7/8 from GPT on BIOS system : No hybrid MBRs or DUET! - Windows 7 Help Forums because I want to avail the benefits of a new partitioning scheme without having new firmware, despite Microsoft saying that it's not supported.

I don't have a dual-band router, else maybe I'd have taken your advice. I only have Wifi-N 300Mbps. Trust me, that is just not enough.

I actually transfer quite a few files back and forth on a Wireless router my notebook only gets 64mbs and I haven't found it necessary or worthwhile to run a Cable to it or my Wife's HP Touchscreen hers connects at 150mbs.
I have both available and haven't felt the need to wire up these two computers. and I do have the access to do so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes

Hmmm , I think N 300 would be dual channel
The maximum length for a cable segment is 100 m per TIA/EIA 568-5-A.[SUP][9][/SUP] If longer runs are required, the use of active hardware such as a repeater or switch is necessary
As per Category 5 cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 300' would be long ways for Wi-Fi AC or any other Wi-Fi standard. So if your farther that that from your router you need to put in a switch or Range extender.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
My router definitely has LAN ports at the back, but running cables is impractical in my house... It's a substantial effort running it all across the terrace, and other awkward maneouvres. That's the reason for this question. The length would not be an issue to run Ethernet cable... only the difficulty. And even then, my laptop is movable : surely you don't expect me to run 2 cables from the desktop to the router, and keep one open just for the rare case when I connect my laptop.... that's highly overkill, especially when the transfer is only between the laptop and desktop, not any other device on the network.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
My router definitely has LAN ports at the back, but running cables is impractical in my house... It's a substantial effort running it all across the terrace, and other awkward maneouvres. That's the reason for this question. The length would not be an issue to run Ethernet cable... only the difficulty. And even then, my laptop is movable : surely you don't expect me to run 2 cables from the desktop to the router, and keep one open just for the rare case when I connect my laptop.... that's highly overkill, especially when the transfer is only between the laptop and desktop, not any other device on the network.

Well then next best 2 choices, for Wi-Fi install Relay extenders, I don't know of any Wi-Fi router that will reach out 300'/100m even in a straight line with out any obstructions. here are a few choices I can't recommend any of these as I haven't ever need to use one. https://www.google.com/search?sourc..........0.8jfS0ibmYMQ#q=wifi+extender&tbm=shop

for LAN get you some Ethernet over electrical plug in your adapter where you have a plug in One of the LAN port on the back of your router plug into your electrical the you plug in to any plug in close to where you want to use your laptop. Here are a few examples again I can't recommend since I have never used any of these. https://www.google.com/search?sourc...JSktjHHrJU#q=ethernet+over+powerline&tbm=shopIt can be quite handy to have a networked printer also referring to your statement that you would only need two things connected

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
@Clintlgm :

Well the Wi-Fi question is settled : I created a Wi-Fi hosted network between the desktop and laptop only, which allows 11n connection speeds. I got around 5MB/s. 1 foot away. Unacceptable.

About the powerline networking, it sure is convenient, but I don't see it available anywhere in India. And I doubt it would give gigabit speeds.

Basically, this is a kind of star + ring topology : is there a program that can set appropriate network interface metrics, etc, such that transfers between 2 computers is as fast as the can be possible, using all communication media?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Back