Continues Errors at startup "Metadata staging failed"

Thank you WillyK and Amtino. Hopefully the engineer and Microsoft will soon solve the issue with the forwarding link

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
Just noticed I have started to get between 10 and 12 of these every start up, since the last batch of updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    I5 4570
    Motherboard
    Asus B85m-g
    Memory
    Kingstion DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 770
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 23" Sync master
    Hard Drives
    1 X 2tb 7200rpm Sata 3
    1X 64gb SSD data 3
    PSU
    Cooler Master
    Case
    Novatech Vortex
    Cooling
    4X 120 case fans, Scythe CPU
    Keyboard
    Rokkat
    Mouse
    RAT 5
Hi all,

I want to share what I've done that apparently has "solved" the error. I hope it could help.

1. Go to Control Panel, Administrative tools, Services
2. Go to "Device Setup Manager", open "properties"
3. Make sure "Start up type" is Manual
4. Tap the tab Log on
5. Choose "Local system account" then Ok

Now, repeat it for another service

2. Go to "Windows Time", open "properties"
4. Tap the tab Log on

In my case it worked

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Thanks for that

Hi, some of us have already done this, it is a temporary fix as you are turning off the automatic updating of hardware and devices. The idea is that those of us who have hardware and devices scheduled to update automatically and let window take care of it, it should work.

At present the url to automatically update the devices is malfunctioning and therefore producing event ID 131 ' metadata staging failed'.

Rest assured Microsoft are working on this and keeping me updated, they have not found a resolution as yet but have launched an internal investigation to try and establish what went wrong with the hardware and devices url in the registry on 6th May 2015.

As soon as I receive any more new, I will post the details.

Kind Regards

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Home Premium 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Just noticed I have started to get between 10 and 12 of these every start up, since the last batch of updates.

this error started on 6th May some people are only just seeing it. I guess it depends how often people check their event log. I wish to assure you I have made Microsoft aware of this and they are investigating the issue. I will post back with any updates I receive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Hi guys and girls.. im new on here and want to thank everyone for this forum .. I have started getting event id 131 also on boot up, noticed it started this month .. I have also noticed error 200,201,202 and 131. can someone confirm if 200,201,202 is related to 131? I don't know what else to do.. I have clean installed my windows 8.1 twice this weekend.. all drivers are up to date ... thank you=)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Maingear shift ss x99
    CPU
    intel i7 5820k hexacore
    Motherboard
    asus rampage v extreme x99
    Memory
    16 gb corsair ddr4 2133mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce gtx titan x
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    webroot
Hi guys and girls.. im new on here and want to thank everyone for this forum .. I have started getting event id 131 also on boot up, noticed it started this month .. I have also noticed error 200,201,202 and 131. can someone confirm if 200,201,202 is related to 131? I don't know what else to do.. I have clean installed my windows 8.1 twice this weekend.. all drivers are up to date ... thank you=)

Hi

please do not waste your time and energy in reinstalling windows. We had this issue with this event id 131 last September and I spent hours reinstalling windows and reached a dead end. The result was that after 3 days, Microsoft repaired the malfunctioning url.

I am currently in contact with Microsoft as you will see from the forum, unfortunately it is taking somewhat longer this time for them to come up with a repair/resolution. When I here further from them, I will let you all know via the forum. Rest assured, I do know for certain they are working on it.

As for your other events you mention: 200, 201, 202 etc. I do not see these on my system, could you tell me a little bit more about that say say/are. As event id 131 is specifically related to 'metadata' which updates the hardware and devices on the operating system.

I cannot say they are/are not linked without a little more info.

Cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
thank you for the reply

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Maingear shift ss x99
    CPU
    intel i7 5820k hexacore
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    webroot
thank you for replying.. event 200,201, and 202 are warnings not errors.. event 201 says the following "
A connection to the Windows Metadata and Internet Services (WMIS) could not be established."
event id warning 200 says"A connection to the Windows Update service could not be established."
and event id warning 202 says "The Network List Manager reports no connectivity to the internet."
i have noticed that they are all relating to metadata ,specially warning 201 .. is it possible that error 131 url problem is triggering warning 201 etc..?
ps: for got to mention that all the warnings and error 131 are classified as Source DeviceSetupManager

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Maingear shift ss x99
    CPU
    intel i7 5820k hexacore
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    webroot
thank you for replying.. event 200,201, and 202 are warnings not errors.. event 201 says the following "
A connection to the Windows Metadata and Internet Services (WMIS) could not be established."
event id warning 200 says"A connection to the Windows Update service could not be established."
and event id warning 202 says "The Network List Manager reports no connectivity to the internet."
i have noticed that they are all relating to metadata ,specially warning 201 .. is it possible that error 131 url problem is triggering warning 201 etc..?
ps: for got to mention that all the warnings and error 131 are classified as Source DeviceSetupManager

Ok I note you have done 2 fresh installs of windows this weekend. From experience, if I do a fresh install of Windows via a wireless router then like you initially I do see these events you mention in the log as warnings in particular the Windows Update cannot connect or reports no internet connectivity. However, I find once the install has completed and a full wireless connection made, these warnings do not re-occur.

If you are finding after your reinstall that the warnings are persistent, I would suggest you reset your modem/router and ensure you have a good network connection.

I have also found from experience that if I connect my PC or Laptop via Ethernet to the router before doing a fresh install I do not see the warnings at all. I am assuming this is because the Ethernet is giving the install immediate access whilst Wireless has a short time lag whilst awaiting you inputting your WEP Key etc.

These are merely my observations and personal tests but may help. You should not be seeing this warnings persistently.

Let me know how you are getting on - I did several reinstalls on several laptops last September when the 'metadata' issue occurred before and I reached a dead end, it is not a hardware issue, definitely the Microsoft Server in my opinion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton

I also receive these other warnings connection to windows update and network list manager when i started getting errors with Metadata feel related to same issues. As have no issue installing update or my internet connection, those 2 besides Metadata are just warnings not errors. I have also done clean install recently.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system

I also receive these other warnings connection to windows update and network list manager when i started getting errors with Metadata feel related to same issues. As have no issue installing update or my internet connection, those 2 besides Metadata are just warnings not errors. I have also done clean install recently.

I performed a test on one of my systems tonight with fresh install of windows 8:

Event id 131 Meta data Staging failed still prominent.
Event 200, 201 and 202 were present after the install, however, after running windows update and installing the new version of the windows update agent, the warnings were longer triggered on start-up or reboot.

Event id 131 remains on my system the main culprit at present.

Cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Hi all,

I want to share what I've done that apparently has "solved" the error. I hope it could help.

1. Go to Control Panel, Administrative tools, Services
2. Go to "Device Setup Manager", open "properties"
4. Tap the tab Log on

Now, repeat it for another service

2. Go to "Windows Time", open "properties"
4. Tap the tab Log on

In my case it worked

I did a quick test on this tonight before performing a fresh install of windows: On attempting to change the Windows Time to Local System Account, it merely generated an error and stated this was not possible as other services use the time provider and settings and the setting must be reverted. Sorry but it seems to generate more errors and complications and was not a resolution for me. It locked the system temporarily. Wouldn't advise anyone to go for this unless they want to perform a system restore as it will not allow you to change the setting back once 'applied'

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
amtino and others -
Just fyi that I am getting the same 131 "Metadata staging failed" errors - seven at a time on each reboot of 8.1 Pro 64-bit - starting May 12, 2015.
Given that amtino has penetrated as far as level 3 and they are saying the right things, I'll wait before doing the registry switch.
Hats off to Mr. Amtino!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual boot - Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 7010 MT
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0GY6Y8 - what would the Intel number be? - Q77 chipset
    Memory
    16GB RAM DDR3 (Four x 4GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics (on the CPU)
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio - and Intel Display Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell E176FP - nothing fancy
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    Two 500GB WDC WD5000AAKX (SATA @ 6GB/sec)

- External WD My Book 1110 USB device

- Leftover Momentus XT not plugged in yet.
    PSU
    What means PSU? I'm at sea level
    Cooling
    Ice cubes
    Keyboard
    Noisy
    Mouse
    Basic from Dell
    Internet Speed
    Verizon DSL @ 7Mbps down and 780kbps up
    Browser
    Firefox only with lots of security drives my wife crazy
    Antivirus
    Win 7 Avast Free - Win 8 Windows Defender for now
    Other Info
    Also have an old but important XP SP3 machine still running - Optiplex 755 Desktop w 4GB RAM and 180 GB HD. Used the registry hack to get more updates through "XP Embedded" or "POS" so now the machine rings like a cash register and the CD drawer opens to give change.
amtino and others -
Just fyi that I am getting the same 131 "Metadata staging failed" errors - seven at a time on each reboot of 8.1 Pro 64-bit - starting May 12, 2015.
Given that amtino has penetrated as far as level 3 and they are saying the right things, I'll wait before doing the registry switch.
Hats off to Mr. Amtino!

Thanks for that, I will keep you posted with any progress I make. Oh and by the way, not that it makes any difference at all but I am a Mrs!:) Mr or Mrs makes no difference to the speed at which Microsoft will resolve our issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Well, doesn't it make a difference to your husband?

But glad to see a Mrs. has the savvy to get MS's attention.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 7010 MT
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives

PSU
    Cooling
    Ice cubes
    Keyboard
    Noisy
    Mouse
    Basic from Dell
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Also have an old but important XP SP3 machine still running - Optiplex 755 Desktop w 4GB RAM and 180 GB HD. Used the registry hack to get more updates through "XP Embedded" or "POS" so now the machine rings like a cash register and the CD drawer opens to give change.
Well, doesn't it make a difference to your husband?

But glad to see a Mrs. has the savvy to get MS's attention.
Oh yes I am sure it does, however, rest assured I have got my teeth into this and I am not letting go easily. :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Still digging deep my end

I am no technology expert myself and confess I am self taught but like to try and get to the bottom of any errors that I have system wise when I know for certain I have made no changes to the system.
I spend hours reading, researching and literally getting my teeth in as I like to see s resolution when I believe there is one.
However, my first contact with Microsoft started 3 weeks ago and I have had 3 calls from them so far, they were regular but now it would seem they are busy in the background and having nothing to report.
Initially the Engineer wanted to know:
When I did I first see this error? - most certainly 6th May on my system between 9 and 9.30 am UK Time.
Had I made any system changes - No
What was I actually doing when the event first occurred - merely booting up the system.
The Engineer logged on to a screen sharing session and used something called ' problem step recorder' - I pointed out the events in the log via the mouse, I also did a refresh of the metadata so he could see the system generating the error: Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Devices and Printers, right click on any blank space on this page and click 'refresh' this immediately generates the error because we are running the metadata task on demand.
He then tested his own system to see if the errors were generated at his end, initially he said not but then after rebooting he did indeed see the errors.
He emailed the recordings to himself together with several screen shots of the event log and said these would be sent to the relevant Department to assist them in tracking the issue.
Last Saturday I received a call saying 'this was a major concern' and did I have any other relevant information that may assist as they appreciated the insight and the research I had already done.
I explained that the temporary working scenarios were to change to forwarding url in the registry ' not ideal' tampering with registry keys is merely a mask.
The other temporary fix is to turn off this task completely: Go to Control Panel > Type in the search "device installation" > Click on "Change device installation settings"

Click on "No let me choose what to do" > choose the option "Never install driver software from Windows Update" and make sure that "Automatically get the device app and info provided by your device manufacture" is UNCHECKED.
He stated he would be reporting this back to the backend team and would keep me updated.
I am still convinced after more testing and event log reading yesterday that IE and a time issue are in some way connected here. The task does complete if you trace it back in the application log but not quite fast enough to stop the system generating the Event ID 131.
I do know what doesn't work:
System restore to a date prior to the event first being seen: negative result
Completely reinstalling the operating system from scratch - negative result
Not performing any windows updates at all - negative result
Making sure all updates are complete - negative result
Reset IE - negative result
Stop and restart the Windows Time Server - negative result.
W32tm - unregister - register - negative result
W32tm - resync - negative result
Flush the Dns Cache - negative result.
Delete all netsh profiles and start again - negative result.
I hope some of this blurb and ranting is helpful to people who are concerned about this event - ~those who do not try do not succeed~ patience is a virtue~

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Did the registry change recommended here, and the error messages have stopped in both reboot and "refresh" in Devices and Printers.

I also notice that there are 10 "recommended" Windows Updates waiting for my 8.1 (which I have not run). Do we know whether any of them is related to this problem?

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 7010 MT
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives

PSU
    Cooling
    Ice cubes
    Keyboard
    Noisy
    Mouse
    Basic from Dell
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I have this 131 error. It seems to have occurred since a system restore I did after I had WiFi adapter problems. Meanwhile I have disabled device driver updates. I had a large backlog of "recommended" updates, recently I installed a few after checking what they actually do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 Home Premium 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    pentium N 3540
    Memory
    4 gb