Consistent temporary network error

Thanks Mick...

Mick,

Thanks for your update....and also thanks for sharing the fix with the folks from other threads. :D

I don't doubt there are plenty of other folks dealing with this very annoying issue. Not being able to consistently access file and print shares on your own network is just ridiculous.

Once again, how this was missed in testing, I have no idea. All of the clients that I had converted to Windows 8 Pro over the past few months were experiencing this exact issue until I disabled that Computer Browser...now they are all just fine.

I wonder if the OP of this thread has tried the fix????

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If anyone get a chance to test this in their environment, please update this thread with your findings.
For me it's not a ~30 sec delay but instead I simply can't connect at all. On my Win7 machine I can access any shared folder of my Win8 machine. Folders of my Win7 machine become visible on my Win8 machine almost immediately after I share them, but every time I try to open one of them it's 0x80070035 regardless of how I try (including drive mapping). I disabled Computer Browser service on both machines and rebooted, but the problem stayed the same.

I have a slightly uncommon network setup, though. My ISP uses DHCP to assign a public WAN IP to each of my machines, in such way that if I run ipconfig on each machine it displays a different IP for each machine even though all of them are connected to the same cable modem via an unmanaged wired switch (i.e., I have no router and my modem doesn't have a built-in router). I found that, after a power / mains failure, when power is restored and my modem has booted up again, typically it assigns IPs in such way that they aren't on the same network segment (i.e., one IP is like 84.194.xxx.xxx with IP mask 255.255.254.0 and the other is like 84.193.yyy.yyy with IP mask 255.255.252.0 for example). When that happens, that's when I always get the HomeGroup problem I described above.

However, I have noticed this problem doesn't stop Microsoft Garage "Mouse without Borders" from still working entirely correctly on both machines nevertheless, so IMO that shows it must be a bug in Win8 that's causing these troubles.

The only way I have been able to get rid of this problem was by keeping my modem powered off until the lease expired, then rebooting all machines with the UTP cables physically unplugged from them and then, finally, plugging these cables back in, one by one and quickly after oneanother so that the DHCP will typically put the machines in the same network segment, eventually after all. Windows couldn't do networking correctly 20 years ago, but today it apparently still can't... :shock:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus R510L
    CPU
    i7 4510U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 820M
    Sound Card
    Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Supreme; Emotiva UMC-200; Astell & Kern AK240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 42LH5000
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB internal; 45TB external
    PSU
    Li-ion
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech G400
    Internet Speed
    20Mbit/s up, 200Mbit/s down
    Browser
    IE 11
Working as Designed...

Greetings HDMI...

I believe the issue that you are describing is actually Windows "working as designed".:D

By default, the built-in Windows firewall will not allow SMB shares to be accessed by systems that are not on the same subnet. I ran into this issues many times over the years. The shares are certainly visible...however, when you attempt to open either a print or file share you will be unsuccessful.

If you modify the firewall settings on your systems to allow access to print and file shares from a different subnet...then it should work fine. This is one of the annoyances about having systems on different subnets. It's not a huge deal, but something to be aware of nonetheless...:geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Greetings HDMI...

I believe the issue that you are describing is actually Windows "working as designed".:D

By default, the built-in Windows firewall will not allow SMB shares to be accessed by systems that are not on the same subnet. I ran into this issues many times over the years. The shares are certainly visible...however, when you attempt to open either a print or file share you will be unsuccessful.

If you modify the firewall settings on your systems to allow access to print and file shares from a different subnet...then it should work fine. This is one of the annoyances about having systems on different subnets. It's not a huge deal, but something to be aware of nonetheless...:geek:
Thank you for your reply but I already verified the Windows firewall settings are identical on both machines. They are the default settings, but still the error code 0x80070035 (network path not found) occurs on the Win8 machine, and NOT on the Win7 machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus R510L
    CPU
    i7 4510U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 820M
    Sound Card
    Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Supreme; Emotiva UMC-200; Astell & Kern AK240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 42LH5000
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB internal; 45TB external
    PSU
    Li-ion
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech G400
    Internet Speed
    20Mbit/s up, 200Mbit/s down
    Browser
    IE 11
Ok...in that Case...

If you feel that you have eliminated any possibility that the Windows firewall and/or Windows permissions are preventing access, the next step would be to employ the same process that allowed me to solve the issue in this thread...i.e., to use either NetMon or WireShark and "watch" the network activity when you attempt to connect to the Windows 8 machine.

The "Network Path is not Found" is, unfortunately, a rather generic error that can have a variety of causes. With these network tools, however, you can capture the entire network conversation between the 2 systems. The packets sent immediately prior to receiving this error should reveal the root cause.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Months of frustration ended

Just registered to thank Dr. Gary. After repeatedly searching for a fix, I finally found this forum post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 and 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Just registered to thank Dr Gary. My issue was that I was getting a Network path not found error, intermittently ie sometimes Windows found the network PC, most of the time it was irritating the crap out of me.

Applied your fix, BOOM! Problem solved. So THANK YOU!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Still and issue in Win 10

Dr. Gary,

I am having this same issue in WINDOWS 10. So, no fix in the new OS. I will let you know if this fix also works in 10. Out of the box Computer Browser is set to Manual and is started. Just like in 8. I have no experience with 8. I have extensive knowledge of 7 and did not have that issue till upgrading to 10. I though it was an issue with doing an "upgrade" from 7 to 10. So I factory reset it since couldn't find answers. Seems as most "Issues" in 8 carried to 10. Thank you for your time in this.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10, Windows 7
Back