Complaints about Windows 8 appear to be mostly lack of knowledge

I personally like the Ribbon in Explorer. I do a lot of file management and I find it's faster and easier to to just click on commands versus keyboard commands. That's one for me. I'm liking the apps too, I love the cleanness of the designs of them and live tiles as well. Granted, you can just some the Desktop internet counterparts for some of them, but it's not really the same.

Reset and Refresh are definitely nice to have, and the overall emphasis of minimizing system resource as much as possible is a biggie for me. I'd rather use those resources for Photoshop or gaming versus just running an OS.

Then there's using it on a touchscreen. WOW!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
You're right although new display seems much easier to use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Win 7-8 64-bit
    Dell Studio XPS8100
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Dell 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    900GB and 1.5TB
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/s down 1.5 Mb/s up
    Other Info
    I worked my up from a virtual machine, to a slow 32-bit celeron and now two monitors on my XPS8100. Works great!
Yeah, newer touchscreen displays are better than ones for Windows 7, as raised bevel around the screen is a HUGE PAIN IN MY BUTT.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Hi there
my problem with this type of argument is that everybody tends to use a computer for different things -- if you are say primarily a tablet or a smartphone user you could possibly say why do I even NEED a computer at all-- and for email, casual surfing, film / TV watching via "Iplayer" type of apps, music, or even E-reading (although I think e-readers are better for this though) then you probably don't need a full blown computer and metro may well be really suitable for you.

Now when I try and explain what I need a computer for, I can show at least ONE application I use daily that I'd be surprised if AS MUCH AS 5% of even experienced windows users had ever even heard of much less actually USED it -- SAP/ERM (as well as SAP CRM) - and so would not have a clue about the difficulties of "Metroizing" something like this.

Now we have several sites all with the usual DEV, ACC, PROD type environments and can have 5 simultaneous sessions open on each system (and I NEED this) -- all needed on windowed simultaneous sessions across 2 or 3 monitors

At the same time I would have say 3 browser sessions open, maybe two or 3 spread sheets, various emails and often other stuff as well.

This type of work very definitely requires TWO monitors (minimum) - sometimes 3 If I need to see server logs at the same time.

Another case -- Photoshop users preparing large PROFESSIONAL quality RAW files for magazines etc - where the photoshop processing is exceedingly complex and you are using loads of layers --no way is full single screen metro operation going to work properly.

There is no way whatsoever could I even THINK of using METRO for this type of stuff.

The problem here is that people have their own ideas of how metro works for them and it should work just as easily for everybody else.

But IT DOESN'T - and that's not ignorance of what Metro is or isn't.

Metro is designed first and foremost as a MOBILE (or tablet) OS .

I can make it function at home as a Desktop OS - although it takes a bit of effort and for some things it's fine.

But in the work environment I've outlined - especially if you are using multi-session back end systems like SAP etc then there's no way in a million years I'd even THINK about using W8. W7 works just fine for that environment (even XP was fine too although the 32 bit restriction was the push for our W7 upgrade to 64 bit operation).

Windows really needs to sort this mess out -- a standard interface might be fine in theory -- I don't have anything against that -- my issue is the cackhanded manner in which it seems to be implemented. -- Even from the small example I gave above you can see that there are two totally different sets of users now in the Windows world and "Never the twain shall meet" as the old expression goes.

If MS can sort this out W8 could be a winner --fast slick decent security --and from what I've seen of the new Windows phones -- Samsung and Apple -- Nokia might just like Lazarus - arise from the dead.

Remember in all this "Hate / Do not Hate" discussions try and understand what the user wants to DO on their computer -- once you've understood that you can probably get to grips with very real issues that W8 poses -- rather than just say everybody who isn't upgrading is some type of old Dinosaur who would still be using Windows 3.11 if they still could. (Actually you can on a VM -- but that's another issue).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Jimbo said:
Another case -- Photoshop users preparing large PROFESSIONAL quality RAW files for magazines etc - where the photoshop processing is exceedingly complex and you are using loads of layers --no way is full single screen metro operation going to work properly
[sarcasm] No matter what, Metro aka Modern UI is THE FUTURE and you will have to live with it. LOL.
0006.gif
In W9 you still may see some remnant of the Desktop but in W10 probably not (all codes to resize windows and display captions and taskbar will be removed definitively) and in W11 they will also remove the scroll bar. Only App Store softwares will be supported. All software vendor will have to write Metro versions. [/sarcasm] W8
0047.gif
rocks!
0004.gif

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Jimbo said:
Another case -- Photoshop users preparing large PROFESSIONAL quality RAW files for magazines etc - where the photoshop processing is exceedingly complex and you are using loads of layers --no way is full single screen metro operation going to work properly
[sarcasm] No matter what, Metro aka Modern UI is THE FUTURE and you will have to live with it. LOL.
0006.gif
In W9 you still may see some remnant of the Desktop but in W10 probably not (all codes to resize windows and display captions and taskbar will be removed definitively) and in W11 they will also remove the scroll bar. Only App Store softwares will be supported. All software vendor will have to write Metro versions. [/sarcasm] W8
0047.gif
rocks!
0004.gif

Hi there
I don't think you either READ or UNDERSTOOD my post.
Unless you have used a backend system like SAP which you have actually LOGGED ON TO you really wouldn't be in any sort of position to even UNDERSTAND what problem these types of systems have in being used on W8 -- and to say "Well it's just the future -- get used to it" doesn't really help anybody.

I'll probably get warned again for being "Unkind" to a Forum member -- I'm not actually having a go at you but trying to suggest that unless you really KNOW what a person has to do on their computer you aren't in a credible position to give an answer.

We need proper sensible solutions. -- Your "suggestion" doesn't actually help anybody one tiny little bit.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Jimbo said:
0006.gif
0047.gif
rocks!
0004.gif

Hi there
I don't think you either READ or UNDERSTOOD my post.
Unless you have used a backend system like SAP which you have actually LOGGED ON TO you really wouldn't be in any sort of position to even UNDERSTAND what problem these types of systems have in being used on W8 -- and to say "Well it's just the future -- get used to it" doesn't really help anybody.

I'll probably get warned again for being "Unkind" to a Forum member -- I'm not actually having a go at you but trying to suggest that unless you really KNOW what a person has to do on their computer you aren't in a credible position to give an answer.

We need proper sensible solutions. -- Your "suggestion" doesn't actually help anybody one tiny little bit.

Cheers
jimbo

Very well put. For what it's worth, I'll back you up 100% in your response, jimbo. I know we have to be kind and considerate to one another in our posts, but one should not have to live in fear of getting written up.

I received an infraction shortly after I joined. Not a joyous experience to say the least. Totally my fault, I'll admit. With me and my "Chicago-cocky-type" personality I learned very quick on how NOT to post. It wasn't so much what I was saying, it was how I said it. The name calling I did was definitely a big NO NO. :eek: I now try to read and understand what one is conveying, think about it for a while, and then post.

I'm not trying to butter you nor anyone up here, but I think you have one of the best perspective as a Pro of most of the members here. I like your outlook that "This is what it is and the solutions may be possible". :thumb: We cannot make 8 what it isn't and I can see it definitely doesn't fit the Pros needs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hi Jimbo, It was "sarcasm", ironical comments. ;) Yet, inspired by "serious" comments I read elswhere on this forum. Not far off.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Jimbo: desktop apps, such as Office, VMware Player, Photoshop, etc aren't going to open in the Windows 8 UI - they're going to open on the desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4430s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2310M
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 SSD
    500GB Samsung Momentus
Jimbo: desktop apps, such as Office, VMware Player, Photoshop, etc aren't going to open in the Windows 8 UI - they're going to open on the desktop.
You made the point Kebero.

I think that is the point what many people concern about.
No matter how good Metro is going to be (see it progressing), as long as it can't accommodate multiply screens and multiple opened application windows (cascaded or tiled). Then desktop or the like will stay as one of many user preferences.

Sounds so logical to me ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG Flatron L1742S; LG Flatron 19"; Samsung TV 48"
    Screen Resolution
    1280:1024; 1366:768;1920:1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater

Yes it is ignorance. It seems users are having a hard time to differentiate between desktop applications and Metro Apps. Your speaking as if Microsoft is looking to get rid of the desktop eventually and just have Metro, it's not going to happen. Microsoft's vision for tablets has always been that the desktop should not be sacrificed just because you are running Windows on a tablet. If that's their vision for tablets then why would they get rid of the desktop on a workstation? Desktop applications will remain, Metro Apps will mostly be for content consumption and seeing some of the iPad apps certain productivity apps can work well also depending on the industry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Another case -- Photoshop users preparing large PROFESSIONAL quality RAW files for magazines etc - where the photoshop processing is exceedingly complex and you are using loads of layers --no way is full single screen metro operation going to work properly.

There is no way whatsoever could I even THINK of using METRO for this type of stuff.

The problem here is that people have their own ideas of how metro works for them and it should work just as easily for everybody else.

jimbo
I think that's where the lack of knowledge part comes in. No, you really can't do that with a metro styled app as there isn't one in a WinRT environment. But the fact remains that Windows 8 is still a Desktop based OS regardless of the Start Screen or metro apps. It's still the backbone of it. Yes, it is more touch based, but Windows has been for some time already. Yes, you need to do a bit of work to get things more for the Desktop, but the Start Screen already lends itself out to configuration for such.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Or it could be that some people just refuse to learn something different and are better suited to just learn new features, versus a new UI....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
It's not a preference, it's how Windows 8 works.
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4430s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2310M
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 SSD
    500GB Samsung Momentus
Kevin I said:
No matter how good Metro is going to be (see it progressing), as long as it can't accommodate multiply screens and multiple opened application windows (cascaded or tiled). Then desktop or the like will stay as one of many user preferences.
They already introduced a way to run two Metro apps side by side on the Metro UI. Thought it's not obvious and you need xyz resolution or 2 monitors (I don't remember). I expect them to add support for more multiple windows in the Metro UI (perhaps dividing the screen area by 2, 4, 6 and 8), adding some sort of pinning (where you could pin an open app into a corner for quick access), resizing (!) and finaly make it look more and more like a desktop while making paintaking effort to keep it different from the normal desktop. Then they will be able to advertise "great improvement" in UI... LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
I'm not paying for a system that gives me nothing of value and forces a touch UI that I don't want or need. But sure, yeah, you know better than me what I want, so it must be that I lack knowledge, whatever that means.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
Now when I try and explain what I need a computer for, I can show at least ONE application I use daily that I'd be surprised if AS MUCH AS 5% of even experienced windows users had ever even heard of much less actually USED it -- SAP/ERM (as well as SAP CRM) - and so would not have a clue about the difficulties of "Metroizing" something like this.

It's funny you say this, as I just heard the CEO of SAP today talking about their new releases of apps for tablets and phones. It seems that even SAP thinks this is the way of the future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
The SAP applications are mostely industrial applications. For those it may be handy to use e.g. a tablet on the shopfloor rather than a full blown laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The SAP applications are mostely industrial applications. For those it may be handy to use e.g. a tablet on the shopfloor rather than a full blown laptop.

Hi there
SAP applications aren't at all always industrial.

For example a huge amount are CRM / SRM type stuff (Shopping Carts etc), BW (Business Warehouse) type of applications -- these type of applications retrieve data for management as statistical stuff (for example footfall at shopping malls etc -- you can't do this stuff via Classical transactional stuff), HR applications and any sort of financial stuff such as AR / AP / Payroll.

There's zillions more applications that SAP can be used for and it's not always "Industrial".

In any case my point was to say if you DO use any type of SAP application then W8 Metro really isn't fit for purpose due to the ridiculous Full screen only (or the absurd half screen bit) way of running applications.

You really DO need a classical windows desktop interface to run SAP GUI. There's also NO way this side of the expected probable life of the universe that SAP will have anything to do with Microsoft's "Store".

Some single purpose stuff like "Shop Floor papers" in a manufacturing process could be done on a tablet -- but remember as an ERP system very few processes can be isolated like that. SAP integrates production , procurement, planning etc etc so it's only in rare cases could you use a tablet.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
In any case my point was to say if you DO use any type of SAP application then W8 Metro really isn't fit for purpose due to the ridiculous Full screen only (or the absurd half screen bit) way of running applications.

And yet the CEO of SAP was just on CNN talking about all their new Tablet and Phone based apps. Perhaps you should let their CEO know that this is impossible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650