Combine Two Partitions In Windows 8

Hi there
EXTENDING a partition from within windows itself isn't a good idea

Use FREE GPARTED or something like that.

I don't like "Storage Spaces" however using SPANNED VOLUMES allows you to aggregate several separate disks so Windows sees it as a SINGLE DRIVE -- although if you lose a volume you lose the lot - so take backups of important data.

These days also with GPT drives and UEFI BIOS you should be quite careful if you want to extend partitions using Windows -- a separate bootable partition manager like GPARTED (FREE) is always better IMO. Also there's usually no restriction on the mount you can extend the partition by.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I pretty much use Paragon to do this kind of stuff, someone else was asking how to merge two consecutive partitions, they wanted to know if it could be done from within windows. I told them about the extend option, but advised against using it, telling them to download partition wizard instead.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Mystere I hope I am not doing something wrong here. On my wife's computer I had created a drive of 50 gig. to hold some files. Now I am adding a ext. hard drive on her 3.0 usb port. I want to delete her created drive after I copy it to the ext. and I don't know or have not seen a good way to add that space back to C: drive.
I tried "Disk Management" at the start screen and it came back no apps found.
I am running windows 8 pro and hers is 8 basic.
new hp all in one desktops.
I believe her drive is M and on the hard drive which is 1 t byte.
thank you

First, you can reach Disk Management from the start screen by typing "Disk Management" and then you need to select the Settings category under the search box (it has an icon that looks like a cog), it will then show an entry that says "Create and format hard disk partitions"

Second, the C:\ drive (assuming it's your boot and system partition, which is typically the case) has some restrictions on resizing, but if your free space is directly behind your C:\ drive, then you should be able to extend the partition into it. You should see something that looks like this:

View attachment 29133

quickest was to disk management is to right click on the stat icon lower left corner and click on disk mangement

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Hey guys, I'm not sure if it's the correct thread to ask (as I'm new here) but I'd like to have some advices on how to combine two partitions (drives?) on Windows 8 without screwing everything up.

So here's the issue:
1.I have a C: drive (94GB) and a D: drive(54.9GB), also an E: drive (147GB) on my laptop.
2. I normally use my E: as a 'storage drive', aka it's not a point of interest.
3. The point of interest is drive C and drive D. I have Win 8 installed on drive C, and I have Win 7 installed on drive D.
4. The question is: Is it possible to delete drive D's Win7, and everything else in there, and then MERGE drive D with drive E without screwing Win8's function (on drive C)?
5. I don't really use Win7 anymore, as I find Win8 way better, so I'd like to be with only one OS and 2 drives.
Additional question would be: Is 94 GB enough for Win8 only to be on drive C?
6. How would you recommend me to execute that operation without many troubles?
7. Thanks in advance

Do you think that will do for me?
Merge Hard Drive Partition in Windows 8 | TechzaneTechzane

Make D: go to E: without losing data on E: or C: ? :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Antivirus
    ESET NOD32 AV™
wolfram, if you want any attention to your problem, I suggest you post your own thread. Here you are unlikely to get any answers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The question is: Is it possible to delete drive D's Win7, and everything else in there, and then MERGE drive D with drive E without screwing Windows 8's function (on drive C)?

C: drive (94 GB)
D: drive (54.9 GB)
E: drive (147 GB)

You can merge D and E drives, but you must delete E: drive (NOT D: drive).

1. Format drive D

2. You have to back up any important data from drive E (to C and/or D)

3. Select drive E - Delete it by right clicking on the selected drive and then selecting Delete Volume

4. Select drive D - Extend volume by right clicking on the selected drive and then selecting Extend Volume

Additional question would be: Is 94 GB enough for Win8 only to be on drive C?

It's your choice.

You can also merge C and D drives.

1. Select drive D - Delete it by right clicking on the selected drive and then selecting Delete Volume

2. Select drive C - Extend volume by right clicking on the selected drive and then selecting Extend Volume (see screenshot below)

Extend Volume.png

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.
Nitpick:

Neither of those actually "merges" the partitions. It just deletes one and extends the other. Merging would indicate you are combing the contents of both to create a single drive.

Basically, without third party software, this is the best you can do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
You helped ME though

Well, the forum admins seem a little harsh here.

But you did help me today! And you're post is also scoring pretty well in Google for 'merge partition' by now (2 years later). You mainly helped me by mentioning the Computer Management application of Windows 8 in the context of partition merging. I didn't know the tool existed and had scourged the internet for tools this week on a 'burning-the-midnight-oil' evening trying installing a new harddisk. I found a lot of tools, but only all stuff that does more advanced stuff related to partitioning turns into paid software.

So I got myself into a little bit of a mess when upgrading my hard disk (SSD) to a bigger one. I used Windows 8's System Recovery to backup my complete system (e.g. create an image), since the disk I was replacing was m only one (e.g. it was the bootdisk). Everything worked really well, except that my new 250GB SSD drive after restore also was indicated to be 120GB, the size of my old SSD :S.

In the end I managed to turn the extra space into another partition using Minitool Partition Magic Free software. But now using your post I could create ONE BIG file space again, just by using an inbuild Windows program.

I already paid for Win8, so better use it to it's fullest ;).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Lattitude E5450
    CPU
    Intel Core i5
Does This Post= Helpful Yes or No??

No. In fact, i'd call it borderline harmful and misleading. And I will tell you why.

1) You can skip the first two steps simply by opening the start screen and typing "Disk management"

2) You aren't combining two partitions, you're deleting one partition and extending the other partition to fill the deleted space. Combining would indicate you are taking both partitions (including their content) and making it a single partition. Likewise, your comment about "merging" two partitions isn't true either.

3) You actually *CAN* combine partitions, and that is *NOT* the way to do it.

4) You neglected to mention that both partitions have to be on the same hard drive, and they need to be right next to each other physically on disk for your method to work. Anyone following your advice may end up in a tough spot if these conditions are not true. A real combining of partitions doesn't need them to be next to each other, and they don't necessarily have to be on the same drive either (depending on how you do it).

5) If you're going to post unsolicited tutorials, you're posting to the wrong forum, and they should be accurate.

Please may I send you a jpg of my ASUS partition problem those geniuses created, then can't support me in English thereafter? Best Buy promised to enlarge tiny C: drive when bought new from them during date transfer but LIED ... now running out of room, of course. Not interested in Partition Magic, thanks.
In a nutshell, C: enlargement is block on right by one of many ASUS recovery partitions.Partitions.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1-64
Back