Solved Can't create recovery drive on DVD using Windows 8.1

I'm looking at creating a recovery DVD for a recently acquired Windows tablet, partly as I want to free up the recovery partition which is taking up a good chunk of the flash SSD. I have created a recovery drive on a 16GB USB stick. This now has used space of 5.31GB. This may be bigger than expected as the tablet includes a version of MS Office. This is of course more than you can get on a standard DVD. I'm still looking at creating a recovery disc on dual layer DVD, create 2 copies like this and free up the USB stick for duties that need its higher capacity. I rarely write to DVDs these days, so it makes more sense to use up the old stock of cheap write once DVDs and free up the relatively more expensive USB stick, especially as hopefully I will never need to use the recovery disc in anger and it will just sit in the cupboard gathering dust.

Anyway the main point I wanted to make is that you need to check that you will be able to get the recovery partition onto the available space on whatever media you use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I just bought an HP machine and a Gateway. The HP lets me use DVD-R optical media to create recovery media.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    hp
Recovery DVD for Windows 8.1

I'm looking at creating a recovery DVD for a recently acquired Windows tablet, partly as I want to free up the recovery partition which is taking up a good chunk of the flash SSD. I have created a recovery drive on a 16GB USB stick. This now has used space of 5.31GB. This may be bigger than expected as the tablet includes a version of MS Office. This is of course more than you can get on a standard DVD. I'm still looking at creating a recovery disc on dual layer DVD, create 2 copies like this and free up the USB stick for duties that need its higher capacity. I rarely write to DVDs these days, so it makes more sense to use up the old stock of cheap write once DVDs and free up the relatively more expensive USB stick, especially as hopefully I will never need to use the recovery disc in anger and it will just sit in the cupboard gathering dust.

Anyway the main point I wanted to make is that you need to check that you will be able to get the recovery partition onto the available space on whatever media you use.

A visit here Creating installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help will allow you to download a media creating utility, that will allow DVD/CD/USB creation of all versions of windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 - Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back