Can't adjust screen brightness

Quick solution

Hello everyone! I as well as many other appear to have had this issue, and I'm here to provide you with a quick fix.

First off, open control panel and click on "System and Security".

After that, the third option from the top should be "System", and within it's tab you should find "Device Manager". Click it and a new window should open.

Within this tab is an option called "Display Adapters", click it. Then you should rightclick the topmost of the ones available and click "disable". This will cause your screen to go black for a moment as the driver is turned off, but don't worry, no programs will be closed and nothing will be lost. After about 5-10 seconds the picture will come back. When it does, right click the topmost driver again and click "enable". The screen will go black again and be back on in 5-10 seconds like before.

The problem should be fixed after you've done that. It's a very common issue in windows 8, and it IS recurring, so be prepared to do this again.

Anyway, this is how I fix it whenever it happens to me, hope it helps!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hello everyone! I as well as many other appear to have had this issue, and I'm here to provide you with a quick fix.

After that, the third option from the top should be "System", and within it's tab you should find "Device Manager". Click it and a new window should open.

Within this tab is an option called "Display Adapters", click it. Then you should rightclick the topmost of the ones available and click "disable". This will cause your screen to go black for a moment as the driver is turned off, but don't worry, no programs will be closed and nothing will be lost. After about 5-10 seconds the picture will come back. When it does, right click the topmost driver again and click "enable". The screen will go black again and be back on in 5-10 seconds like before.

The problem should be fixed after you've done that. It's a very common issue in windows 8, and it IS recurring, so be prepared to do this again.

+1... just tried this. Made an account just to say thanks :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Another note

First off, I appreciate the thank you, nice to see that my fix helped someone out.
Second, if my fix doesn't work for you, please inform me and I will attempt to figure out a different solution.

Good luck and good day!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

OMG thank you!!! Created a profile to say thanks lol. You are a life saver! Everybody else try this method if you are having the same problem, worked for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Dear Jones,
I tried this fix twice and it didn't work.
My fn button issue occurred in mid-use. And for a while the brightness slider was controlling the volume. The volume slider also controlled the volume. I was running real cloud and evernote at the time this occurred. Now the brightness slider is completely defunct. Thank God the volume control works. I even tried restarting the computer to see if it might "fix itself." I suppose it isn't so bad. I mean the screen isn't absolutely dark. But it is dimmer than the lighted keyboard which makes typing at night rather wearisome on the eyes.
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I am completely technologically challenged :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    wondows 8
Back