Can the new Windows 8.1 bring back users?

First, because I can't resist, let me just say "I told you so!"

I'd said all along that Windows 8's Metro interface was downright awful for desktop users. I was right. Windows 8 saw PC sales plummet to their worst level in a generation. Under new leadership, Microsoft has finally bought a clue and is retrofitting Windows 8.x's Metro/Modern desktop with a much more keyboard- and mouse-friendly Windows, Icon, Menu, and Pointer (WIMP) interface.
win81updatetaskbar-620x67-620x67.png
I can only ask, "What took you so long Microsoft?" Popular programs, such as Stardock's Start8, showed that Windows power users craved their Start Menu. Besides, Windows 8.x's abysmal usage numbers were even worse than Microsoft's previous all-time operating system flop, Vista. It doesn't take the next coming of GE CEO genius Jack Welch to realize when a core product has failed.
The rest here:

Most businesses (specially large ones) are pretty inert when it comes new OS. Some (probably most) are because of money involved, and probably just as many because of upper management being computer ignorant, completely computer illiterate or just don't see any profit coming from OS change.
I was involved with engineering, maintenance and as production manager in auto industry for long time and know how much of pushing I had to do to get new computers in. In one "startup" factory I had to fight to get a computer that I desperately needed for production, took me a year to get one and when they finally bought it, they gave it to accounting !!! Had to bring my own Timex Sinclair ZX81 and adopted it to to what I needed it do to make my job easier and even possible to do it efficiently. Only after they have seen how much faster were turn-arounds when switching production from one product number to another did they relent and bought me a proper PC. Upgrading to a newer one took even more fight with company owners "But you already have a computer", was standard answer. Only when I agreed to let them print labels for boxes on it they let me by a newer one. Of course I used older one for that and they were none the wiser about it because both of them were in my office. One "perk" I got from that is that I "had" to teach nice secretaries to work on computers.
For years I took a lot of work (ACAD, making forms and documentation) home because I had better computer at home and it was much easier for me to work there. One of my bosses used to comment "Playing with your computer again, eh ?" every time he seen me working on it in my office. Once I modified game "Doom" to chase boss around the factory, installed it into his computer and one day when I came into the boardroom, they were all playing it, even the corporation president when he came from the main office in Detroit. Had to give him a copy to take it home. Few years later, on an auto industry show, I was introduced ti Lee Iacoca (Chrysler president at that time) and he recognized me by that and not by my real work that involved introducing part number standardization for disk brake parts.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
"Popular programs, such as Stardock's Start8, showed that Windows power users craved their Start Menu."

Windows power users craved? More like, helpless Windows users craved.

Real power users say, "Start Menu? We don't need no stinkin' Start menu!"
Agree totally 100%.....Self acclaimed so called power users indeed!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
"Popular programs, such as Stardock's Start8, showed that Windows power users craved their Start Menu."

Nowadays, "power user" is anybody that knows how to turn computer on. Never used Start menu in the past, after few dozen programs are installed it's practically un-usable. Small letters, sub sub menus and remembering what goes where is just too much. Ad to that some programs that go by name of developer and not by it's program name, just ad to all the mix-up. A lot of people that are not too computer savvy just ask me to put an icon of the desktop for particular program or even make it autostart so they can find it. Some are even surprised that start menu exists at all let alone how to find their programs there.
Real "power user" will know all the intricacies of the OS. Even after many, many years of computer use and work on and with them, I can't call myself some "super duper power user", mostly because of no need to go to the minute depths some pros have to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

Hi there.

Depends whether you run just a few applications or run a few programs at a deep level in a cascaded nest.

If you use a program that's essentially a GUI then what's wrong with using a GUI -- If you find you are using a power shell or the command line a lot then perhaps you should use a COMMAND LINE based system and only connect to a gui based system via RDP / VNC when you need to.

If you need to find some rarely used feature of a large program then getting it from a cascading menu is far far better than the stupid Tile based system.

For commonly used programs such as say Outlook, IE, EXCEL or whatever you can always pin these to the quick start or the desktop so a menu isn't actually NEEDED for these cases.

But who cares on what is only NEEDED. If the consumer is USED to having a Menu and still WANTS ONE - then if it can be supplied easily (and there are enough 3rd party products to show that it CAN be done easily) then it makes ZERO business sense NOT to give the customer the choice)

If a well liked feature - whatever the technical merits or otherwise is wanted - then business wise it is UTTERLY STUPID to remove it. Allow users to choose - and maybe by the time say W9 appears enough users *MIGHT* come round to the idea of not minding if there is a menu or not.

BTW the windows menu system wasn't that great -- especially the W7 one where it occupied a huge area of the screen and wasn't very configurable. Custom toolbars are the way to go in this case.

Linux menus are configurable -- you can add / remove what you like so the case of a menu becoming "Unuseable" is unlikely to arise.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Hi there.

Depends whether you run just a few applications or run a few programs at a deep level in a cascaded nest.

If you use a program that's essentially a GUI then what's wrong with using a GUI -- If you find you are using a power shell or the command line a lot then perhaps you should use a COMMAND LINE based system and only connect to a gui based system via RDP / VNC when you need to.

If you need to find some rarely used feature of a large program then getting it from a cascading menu is far far better than the stupid Tile based system.

For commonly used programs such as say Outlook, IE, EXCEL or whatever you can always pin these to the quick start or the desktop so a menu isn't actually NEEDED for these cases.

But who cares on what is only NEEDED. If the consumer is USED to having a Menu and still WANTS ONE - then if it can be supplied easily (and there are enough 3rd party products to show that it CAN be done easily) then it makes ZERO business sense NOT to give the customer the choice)

If a well liked feature - whatever the technical merits or otherwise is wanted - then business wise it is UTTERLY STUPID to remove it. Allow users to choose - and maybe by the time say W9 appears enough users *MIGHT* come round to the idea of not minding if there is a menu or not.

Cheers
jimbo

Yes, it all comes down to choice and not to "Do it my way or highway".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Countmike and Jimbo.
You are both missing the point....A "Windows Power User" suggests an extremely knowledgeable computer operator, using that application.....As stated in the original post by Strollin "Windows power users craved their start menu", which he debunked and I am in agreement with, and points to an incompetent or inexperienced operator.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Countmike and Jimbo.
You are both missing the point....A "Windows Power User" suggests an extremely knowledgeable computer operator, using that application.....As stated in the original post by Strollin "Windows power users craved their start menu", which he debunked and I am in agreement with, and points to an incompetent or inexperienced operator.

Oh puh-lease. Get over yourself.:mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
A Power User is a 'PC Control Freak'!!! :D

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
Linux Mint 17

However after trying various Linux distros (Used for a server for years) I've found Linux Mate (latest release 16 petra with KDE desktop) fulfils about 95% of my needs and I now only run windows as VM's on a laptop.
Linux Mint 17 should be out in a few weeks.
I believe it will be a Long Term Support version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Countmike and Jimbo.

Oh puh-lease. Get over yourself.:mad:
My original backing for the above quote was a generalisation and not against an individual.
According to your posts you are a "power user" and have taken offence...none was meant, but I stand by my original assertion.
I am not too impressed with your corrupted version of English.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I wonder if the title of this thread should be: "Can new Window 8.1 DRIVE AWAY even more users"?:sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion p6230f
    CPU
    HP AMD Phenom II X4 810
    Motherboard
    FOXCONN ALOE
    Memory
    8 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI/AMD Radeon HD 42
    Sound Card
    ATI/AMD SB600 - High
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SE198WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST3750528AS
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Jimbo, you need a decent snipping tool. Get Jing and program it to F9 for triggering. Then you can also capture context stuff and virtual systems from the host. See example. And if you want to use a native Mint snipping tool, get Shutter. That is pretty neat too.

Btw, yesterday I put Mate on a 60GB SSD that I had lying around. Will try to get VMware Player on it.

2014-04-06_1222.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
@ Greg

Hello there. Your post vanished!

Agree with everything you said. How about that!

The sparkle is purely self absorbed love for full screen metro stuff.
And a new menuing system other than that used since Windows 95.
7 has the numbers. No doubt about that.

It's the matter of popularity. Apple types rave in favor of Mac stuff.
Linux fans are undeterred from support of the UNIX kernel and it's GUI.
Tablets are the new portable PCs and BYODs.
8 is a radical departure from the past.

But it's more than explorer.exe. Code trends are not static. Productive work NOW is exclusively traditional but defining the current paradigm of the 7 desktop as perfected is just fluff. Dynamic Link Libraries when compiled to explorer and the registry has created a security nightmare that requires constant patching to maintain.

Both Apple and Linux have UNIX kernels and are less attractive to miscreants but no computer OS is totally secure.

I never got why Surface didn't get designed with ethernet and a better price. A thousand dollars for a tablet is ridiculous. One has to buy accessories?

So to speak, out in the real world, 8 and 9 will evolve.
7 will become the new XP.

So now we're looking at 8, 9 or 10 to 2030.
I think CPU design will play a role in future OS trends.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Greg, did you delete your post ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Greg, did you delete your post ??

That's what I'm wondering. I copied and pasted it to Word for to answer. Wondering what to do now.....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
HG, Let's wait what Greg has to say. Maybe he wants you to put it back up or maybe he has deleted it himself.

Lately posts seem to vanish without anybody telling you anything. I had asked John what is happening here, but he never answered. Pretty uncivilized way to treat members.

Maybe this post will vanish too. But I have copied it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Yes, I'll wait to be respectful. I can answer to his first post if need be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Yeah I tend to get into rants about Ate because I take it personally that so little self-respect would be given to the real accomplishment of Windows 7, and can begin sounding like a fanboy even though I really do think it is one of the greatest achievements in tech and is what got me involved. So I wanted to take more time to write this.

I mainly wanted to make the point that Seven being the best OS ever is not a matter of opinion since it is by far the best selling OS ever - even with sales being artifically suppressed now - and wildly popular with consumers who have almost no complaints.

By comparison most consumers will never even hear the name Linux and only a tiny fraction use an iOS.

In spite of rumors of its demise, the desktop is where the productive work which drives the world economy is done and is perfected in Windows Seven. However by depriving consumers of the best OS on new desktops, a real attempt has been made to kill it off - intended or not.

We know that this was done in service to a new business plan that monetizes apps and eventually the OS by subscription, which required an attempt to throw away the desktop and adapt an Ipad social media buttons interface. Now that this is seen by all to be a failure, how about doubling down now instead on what already we know is a smashing success?

Just giving a fair and even choice will right the ship and point the way for Windows 9.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Just for conversation, do you believe the version of explorer in 7 is better than the explorer in 8?

And btw, are apps (desktop or otherwise) supposed to be free?
A fair choice of Operating Systems? Why would OEM's install an OS from 2009 on new tech?

Does it all boil down to the metro UI? 8.1.1 will drive some to other systems.
7 is really not that big of a leap in tech advancement. It still uses NT.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
With an overdue SP2 it wouldn't really be a 2009 OS, and it doesn't show any signs of age anyway.

I tried to interest others in 8 Explorer improvements and not one liked them. I think it pleases techies only. I thought the graphs were impressive, but it isn't nearly enough to capture consumers.

Metro makes Rube Goldberg seem simple.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Back