Can I go from a live account to a outlook account?

Hello again Kari,

Sorry you do not understand my concern so let's break it down a bit more:

the OP quite clearly wants to change his / her live.com email address
It is agreed that he wants a new email address; yes?

As keeping the same email address but changing the email client used would not have any impact in XBOX, it's quite clear that's not what OP is asking.
So, it is confirmed that you also perceived the OP wants a new email address and not a new client; yes?

In my first post in this thread I mentioned it is possible to do what OP wants but because it can have unwanted consequences (especially regarding XBOX)
Ok, so we both agree but have simply offered different references. You told him to go to Paul Thurott and I advised him to go to the XBOX Live site.

In summary, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here by questioning my detailed recommendations, and since I have done nothing to discredit you suggestions, I don't understand why you are so interested in picking mine apart. If you have an XBOX system, then maybe you could test it for the OP; however, since he has not identified his specific hardware/software configuration, I can offer nothing more specific but I will tell you that my system works independently of my PC (eg, no hard-wired connection) so, if yours is hard-wired, you may be in a better position to help the OP from here. Sorry you don't understand "my2cents" BTW.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
I'm not interested in "picking yours apart". You commented my answer to Davehc regarding his repeated question if the OP means live.com to outlook.com or Live Mail to Office mail as if you had not understood what I meant, that already the XBOX connection in the original post makes it clear we are talking about mail address domain change instead of mail client change. the question in my post ("Logically thinking, reading the original post and question within, how would changing email client from Windows Live Mail to Office Outlook affect XBOX gaming?") was meant as a rhetorical question to support the general view in this thread that this is not an email client question, which you obviously judging by your response did not understand.

This is what I meat by not understanding your 2 cents, only because of that I repeated what has been already said here many times, that I know the OP wants to change from a live.com email address to an outlook.com address.

I have in no way undervalued your input nor criticized you, but simply tried to make my point more clear, in which it seems I have failed. However, I promise you that in the future I try not to clarify myself so that you don't have to feel yourself offended.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
When I respionded to davehc, I had no idea about anything you specifically quoted. If you review my response, you will see that your name was never mentioned (in his quote or otherwise):

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers...ive-account-outlook-account-2.html#post362019

However, if you feel that I should be diligently tracking everyone's responses (even when unnamed), then I apologize. Also, no need to make any further sidebar comments regarding my particular sensitivity because I'm quite accustomed to the way this forum works. And, although I try to pick and choose which threads might offer a minimal amount of objection to my responses, I was apparently wrong on this one. Moreover, I actually thought I was helping because I am the only person in this thread that appears to be using an XBOX on a regular basis. Anyway, I will yield to your expertise and just apologize.

Best regards,

my2cents

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
I'm unsubscribing this thread now, but before I leave I just want to say this:

You very clearly quoted me and responded to one of my posts:
how would changing email client from Windows Live Mail to Office Outlook affect XBOX gaming?

Hi Kari,

That would not affect anything.

Example being my xbox live account is attached to my live email

However, I remained focused on the fact that the OP wants to use a single "new" email address for "everything." That means he will have to change his email address in his XBOX live account and, if not done properly, he will essentially wipe out access to everything he paid for. A specific example would be where I created a primary user with an email address of original@gmail.com. Now, once done, I join XBOX Live for $59.99, I download 10 games at $49.99 a piece, I create a specific gametag so others will recognize me online, and I rack up 100,000 achievement points over time. Now, keeping all that in mind, I would not want to risk losing access to all those games by inadvertently deleting my original user (which contains all the permissions and abilities) and accidentally replacing it with a new user having an email address of allbarndnew@gmail.com which would force the OP to sign up at $59.99 again, lose access to all the games he paid for, lose his gametag, and lose all of his achievements (which would be reset to 0). In summary, because he placed so much emphasis on the XBOX example, I can only assume this is his most important concern.

Best regards,

my2cents

This told me that you had not understood my point, the quote "how would changing email client from Windows Live Mail to Office Outlook affect XBOX gaming?" you took from my post was simply a rhetorical question to answer Davehc, to show that we already know what OP means, that because changing the email client have no effect in XBOX gaming we know OP is not talking about that.

When you then write "Hi Kari, that would not affect anything .... ... However, ...", that clearly shows you had missed my point. I have very clearly agreed with everyone here, that the address change can be made but especially regarding an XBOX account there can be consequences which should be taken into consideration.

That, and only that, is your only "two cents" I did not understand. You took a rhetorical question of mine, made to emphasize my point to be a real question which needed an answer.

I have no time for these word games. I repeat: I know you have had right all the time. I think exactly as you. You clearly misunderstood something in one of my posts causing me to try to clarify what I mean.

I am very sorry to say this but I do not want to take part in these games. You went now to my ignore list so any further response to this or any other subject goes unnoticed by me.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
OK Kari, then I guess you won't see my second apology. Unfortunately, I did not go back and read all of your contributions and you apparently expect one to do so. Moreover, I responded on a segmented basis (at one point) just to try and clarify that I did not disagree with anything you said; however, since I do not have a photographic memory and/or I failed to read one of your specific responses, you went on a mini rant about same. Now, I'm not sure if you have accomplished your goal by making a third undermining comment (eg, you're now on my ignore list) but if it makes you feel better then good for you!
:huh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
No, I was just bluffing to end a IMO pointless semantic game;). It takes more to land on my ignore list, my 5 years at Seven Forums and here have produced an ignore list of 5 members at SF and 3 members here at EF.

I think we see this matter quite similarly. The reason I posted the link to the Thurrot's article in my first post was exactly because this XBOX live account can have unwanted consequences when the Microsoft email domain is changed, from live.com or msn.com or hotmail.com to outlook.com.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Thank you. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Hello everyone,
Sorry I haven't been on as I have been super busy between school and work, lets forget about me doing this for email needs but just wanting to use a outlook.com instead of live.com for my Microsoft account. My microsoft account is currently "live.com" email and I was hoping to move it to a "outlook.com". My concern with the "live.com" Microsoft account is I use that email to log into my computer, xbox gold subscription attached, xbox music attached and all my contacts sync to that email from my phone. I do not want to create a new email but take my existing "live.com" email and move it to an "outlook.com" while keeping the integrity of all my accounts attached, and I am not talking about getting emails from those products but all that stuff I listed is link to my Microsoft account which is me "live.com" email address. Am I still confusing everyone? I am not trying to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP2740
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4702HQ 2.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    W740SU
    Memory
    8 GB 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Iris Pro 5200
    Sound Card
    High Defenition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    IPS Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB mSATA
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps cable, NETGEAR Night Hawk AC1900
    Browser
    Firefox 38.0.5
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Malwarebytes Pro
Thanks for posting. As you can see things got busy here. ;)

I for one was confused whether it was Outlook.com or Outlook app.

I should think that the alias that Kari posted should work, but although I sign into my PC with my Live account and have an Xbox profile I don't have an Xbox console. I would advise to see what others post first before making changes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
See post #11. If you don't get any joy with that, try my suggestion of redirecting through the messages.

Thanks for the explanation. Whatever the feedback, I was still uncertain up to your post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
OK. Creating an alias will work. Create your new you@outlook.com account and make it primary in your MS account profile. You can then remove your old one if you'd like. Make sure everyone knows you changed your address if/before you do.

Charms Bar > Settings > Change PC settings > Accounts > Your Account > push "More account settings online" > Sign in > Account aliases. There's a help file there as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling