BT Public Wifi works on Windows 7 but not Windows 8.

No you will not get that option if you are using a USB adapter, that does not have the Intel chipset in it. Also using multiple adapters, can cause DNS & IP Conflict issues. Due to the different types of controlling software each one uses.

So if I disabled the internal wireless adapter in the control panel would that fix it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Any time you use a different adapter, either the third party software for the Wireless adapter will manage that one, or will attempt to manage all. If you are going to be using different wireless adapters, I would suggest just installing the drivers, no extra software, let Windows manage the Network devices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.
Any time you use a different adapter, either the third party software for the Wireless adapter will manage that one, or will attempt to manage all. If you are going to be using different wireless adapters, I would suggest just installing the drivers, no extra software, let Windows manage the Network devices.

I did disable the internal wireless adapter to see if it would help and now Chrome gives me a no data received error message and now I can only connect to one of the three public wifi signals or if I do manage to connect it says it's limited. When I trouble shoot the network it says windows can't communicate with the primary DNS server. This is only for the public BT wifi and it still does this when I turn on the internal wireless adapter.[h=1][/h]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Most likely BT set a Proxy on the computer, along with assigned DNS servers for the adapters. You would have to do a ipconfig /all, in Command window, to see while not connected to anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

Most likely BT set a Proxy on the computer, along with assigned DNS servers for the adapters. You would have to do a ipconfig /all, in Command window, to see while not connected to anything.

So I did the ipconfig in the command window and it came up with this : Capture.PNG

And now when I connect to the home wifi it shows it's limited and I also get the no data received error message in chrome.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
dongle

what dongle are you using

Roy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    x55a asus
    Antivirus
    bitdefender
    Other Info
    this laptop was/is still posted on asus website as W7
Limited, go through the fixes for the network. ipconfig /flushdns. ntsh winsock reset catalog. netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt. Do all four commands, and see if that fixes things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

Limited, go through the fixes for the network. ipconfig /flushdns. ntsh winsock reset catalog. netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt. Do all four commands, and see if that fixes things.

I typed those commands and the winsock one says it's not recognized and the ip reset one tells me Access Denied.

Capture.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
It always does that. Just ignore and reboot. Even when you do it as administrator, it does that. A lot has to do with the Windows\System32 folder is only allowed permission for the installer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

It always does that. Just ignore and reboot. Even when you do it as administrator, it does that. A lot has to do with the Windows\System32 folder is only allowed permission for the installer.

Okay, So I did all those commands and restarted the laptop and it's working a lot better. I can use the public wifi for hours but then it randomly disconnects me and won't let me connect and it also sometimes says the connection is limited.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
usb 2/3

it might be something todo with that dongle its USB2 capable, but looking at the specs on your laptop it only uses usb3 ports.

Roy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    x55a asus
    Antivirus
    bitdefender
    Other Info
    this laptop was/is still posted on asus website as W7
it might be something todo with that dongle its USB2 capable, but looking at the specs on your laptop it only uses usb3 ports.

Roy

My laptop has one USB2 port and the dongle is new, The wifi was working fine last night but this morning the connection kept becoming limited.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back