BSOD while playing on msi gt70 dragon edition 2

i deleted after burner yesterday ,, and i just just got a new blue screen, in windbg it said the cause is ntoskrnl.exe and the error message was kmode_exception_not_handled any ideas what is it ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
i deleted after burner yesterday ,, and i just just got a new blue screen, in windbg it said the cause is ntoskrnl.exe and the error message was kmode_exception_not_handled any ideas what is it ?

The latest crash dump you just included still does have the Afterburner driver included in it.

I do not see the crash you are referencing right now, though. That wasn't included.

It really is as simple as this, right now though: If you did not install or remove physical RAM from the machine -OR- change any bios settings in relation to the memory, I am very confident in telling you to demand a return for replacement of the machine. Show them this post if necessary.

You are still welcome to post the screenshots of CPU-Z I asked about, for the heck of it, just because, and that type of thing. heh

If the Afterburner driver somehow survived your uninstall of that software, it would still be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Super-Charger\NTIOLib_X64.sys

Perhaps open the Super-Charger software instead, and ensure that it is not being used to overclock. You can also look in CPU-Z while the machine is under load, to see if the CPU MHz speed is as should be. GPU-Z should help you the same with the video part.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
i have included the new dump file in the previous comment ,, i didnt remove or install the ram in the machine ,, and also didnt change any bios settings in relation to the memory ,, i bought it from a bookstore and i did ask them to replace it but they said it's not replaceable instead they will take it for 15-20 days to fix it which is so stupid because i just bought it ...
im not on my laptop at the moment i can't do the screenshots

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I dunno. I think the situation deserves a little social engineering. 15-20 days to me would be unacceptable.

As far as I see it, and going by what you're telling me, they need to do far better for you than that. For example, if they can't immediately replace the machine with an undamaged one, they should give you a full refund in return for the merchandise.

I would come up with something clever such as "The Better Business Bureau advised me to give you a final chance to refund the purchase price, before they take action of their own."

I don't want to hurt the small business man, but what's fair is fair.

Before doing that, double-check that there is no overclocking going on with RAM, GPU or CPU. If not, you'd be in the right to do all you can to get your money back.

Just my 2 cents. heh.

One final note: If the crash only happens playing that one single game and never for other games or activities, you should look into patching the game with the latest update if available.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
I dunno. I think the situation deserves a little social engineering. 15-20 days to me would be unacceptable.

As far as I see it, and going by what you're telling me, they need to do far better for you than that. For example, if they can't immediately replace the machine with an undamaged one, they should give you a full refund in return for the merchandise.

I would come up with something clever such as "The Better Business Bureau advised me to give you a final chance to refund the purchase price, before they take action of their own."

I don't want to hurt the small business man, but what's fair is fair.

Before doing that, double-check that there is no overclocking going on with RAM, GPU or CPU. If not, you'd be in the right to do all you can to get your money back.

Just my 2 cents. heh.

One final note: If the crash only happens playing that one single game and never for other games or activities, you should look into patching the game with the latest update if available.

the problem is it's a big bookstore company in my region and it has a lot of branches in my country ,, all in all i can't do anything but wait for it to repair if it's really a manufacture problem
also i didnt overcloack anything ,, i also reinstalled windows 8 once to make sure everything is on default
the game i'm playing is league of legends and it automaticly updates it self whenever i run it ,, also i had this bsod more than once when i was not playing

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
With all that info, even more I am confident in that the memory is faulty or something very similar, such as loosely installed and unwell.

Basically, memory modules can contain errors from the factory and the manufacturing process is not 100% perfect for every stick. In all likelihood, there is a bad stick of RAM in the machine or even a fault with the mainboard.

Again, whatever the reason, you deserve a well working machine for your money.

Best of luck with however you decide to proceed with this bookstore company.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
I have an idea for you.

See if MSI has an office in your country. If not, deal with the main office here in the USA.

Ask them for a replacement. I think they will do the right thing for a customer.

The reason I say in your country is so maybe the shipping costs can be kept to a minimal, but if you push and since this is their issue and not yours, you can probably get them to pay for round-trip shipping as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
m4d,

I have no idea why a manufacture would setup a system with a RAID 0 configuration using only a single drive. If you go into the Bios again and just try setting Sata mode to AHCI see if that helps any.

Otherwise the best thing to do is get a replacement.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
ectech, I'm pretty sure that it is 3 microSSDs. At least, my Dragon Ed 2 does.

MasterChief, there are several of us on the MSI forums that are having the same or very, very similar issues with the same exact model (with slight variances of HD size). I used memtest for a little under 8 hours, Prime95 and Sandra Sisoft burn-ins with no issues at all. To me, and I really, really hope that I'm wrong, it feels like faulty North Bridge that is causing very random issues in Windows.

m4d, You may want to contact MSI. The bookstore is probably going to ship it out to them anyway. I'm in the same boat. I can't bring mine back to MSI just yet, because I need to move my work apps and files to a temporary computer. I saw your post on the MSI forums the other day, you can find my own at https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=176615.0 It is pretty detailed in what I have gone through.

I did find one possibility. About 30-40 minutes ago, I got a BSOD where the minidump pointed to an actual driver that wasn't part of the laptop (first time I have ever seen this). My mouse - a Logitch M510. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that it was either a driver conflict with the SetPoint suite or the wireless mouse dongle itself is damaged. You never know, I've seen stranger things and many of us are grasping at straws as none of us want to lose our laptops for 2-4 weeks only to get it back with the same problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8/Windows 8.1
@ kaelaan, maybe they'll come up with a firmware update.

I have a Logitech M510 too, and have the Logitech software installed on numerous machines that I use the mouse on. It's all good 100%.

Nice mouse. I feel naked when using others I have without the thumb back and forward buttons. I instinctively go to use them and am like "wth?" hah

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
They do have several BIOS and EC Firmware updates. Both of which I have updated.

I gave my old laptop to daughter along with the M510 that I was using for about a year. This particular M510 is about a year old as well, but was stuck in my closet and never used. USB devices, when damaged, can cause BSODs. I know I'm grasping at straws here, but I would be ecstatic if the wireless dongle was bad and that's all it was. The alternative is to try to prove to the manufacturer that their motherboard is unstable without any consistent way of proving so. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8/Windows 8.1
I have an msi gt70-1763 that has this exact same issue. I have ran memtest, prime95, and futuremark literally for days with no errors. I can run heavy games like BF4 with no crashing. If i run steam games or brows the web on any browser that's when they come. BSOD, some times they come rapid fire 2 or 3 in a row with in a few minutes some times just one or 2 spread out over the course of a day. The computer will bsod 99% of the time when left idle more than a few hours. Some times i will wake in the morning to find that my computer has generated half a dozen new crash dumps. All wayw the same crap most of you are posting. Lost of irq faults related to nostkernl coupled with a few system exception faults and page fault in a non paged area with a seemingly random driver. Every thing from the usb driver to the video card has been called in a dump. I am sending my laptop of for an RMA tomorrow to msi. Has any one figured out what was causing this or actually had the problem solved though an RMA? I also notice that some programs are crashing in the back ground quite frequently, programs that are normally super stable such as team speak 3 and the Logitech gaming control panel. My sound has crashed a few times as well and a restart fixes it.

All this certainly points to a faulty north bridge IMO nothing else would cause a seemingly random and unpredictable problem for so many people.

EDIT: I would like to add that I have gone though an unimaginable amount of changing of drivers, bios and firmware. I even opened up the laptop completely disassembled its major components and reseated them with no joy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    msi gt70 1763
    CPU
    Intel i7-2670qm
    Motherboard
    MSI
    Memory
    16gb pc3L 12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    780m
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    MSE
Just FYI - the most common BSOD issue with MSI products is due to the Killer Network Manager.
Here's my canned speech for attempting to fix it. If you would like more help with this, please start your own topic:
The Qualcomm Atheros Killer Service/KillerNetManager is known to cause BSOD's. Please follow the workaround instructions here:
First, open the Run dialog (Win + R keys) and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Scroll down and locate the "Qualcomm Atheros Killer Service" and right click on it. Select "Stop"
Right click on it again and this time select "Properties"
In the dropdown box for "Startup type", select "Disabled", then click on the "OK" button at the bottom of the window

Next, open Task Manager (right click on TaskBar and select "Task Manager")
Click on the "More details" dropdown (if present)
Click on the "Startup" tab
Scroll down and locate the "KillerNetManager" entry, right click on it and select "Disable"
There may also be an Install Shield (with the Killer gaming K next to it), if so Right click on it and select "Disable"
Finally, restart the system in order for the changes to take affect.

At times the Killer Network Manager will continue to load. If so, it's usually listed in the MSINFO32...Software Environment...Startup Programs section. If it is, please try this:
It may be that the instructions aren't stopping everything.
In some cases, there's a program running out of the Program Files/Program Files (x86) directory.
"c:\program files\qualcomm atheros\killer network manager\killer~1.exe" (NOTE: killer~1.exe is most likely killernetmanager.exe)
In other cases, there's a program running out of c:\windows\installer\{Long string of letters, numbers, and dashes}\networkmanager.exe_130c27d738f34c89bddf21bcfd74b56d.exe (the long string of letters and numbers may change)

Here's some things to try
1) Please see if there are any entries in the Startup tab of Task Manager that are related to Qualcomm/Atheros/Killer Network Manager (and NOT the card itself) and disable them (please let us know what you find) Be careful as the wrong selection can disable the network card.
2) Check in "msconfig" for any entries that aren't in the Startup tab of Task Manager. Let us know if you find any Qualcomm/Atheros/Killer entries there (we'll disable them differently if they are there).
3) Locate the "c:\program files\qualcomm atheros\killer network manager\killer~1.exe" and rename the .exe to .BAD (the killer~1 is actually a filename that starts with killer and ends with .exe) There will be an error in event viewer, but it'll stop the bugger from loading.
4) Locate the "c:\windows\installer\{Long string of letters, numbers, and dashes}\networkmanager.exe_130c27d738f34c89bddf21bcfd74b56d.exe" entry and rename the last .exe to .BAD (the long string of letters and numbers may change)

Just FYI - here are the MSI workaround instructions: MSI USA

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Came with the laptop (i7 of some sort)
    Motherboard
    Pretty sure that it has one, but haven't checked inside the case!
    Memory
    upgraded to 12 gB from 8 gB
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    I'm nearly deaf, so this isn't used often
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    - Switched to 500 gB Samsung 840 series SSD - WOW!!!
    PSU
    Why do we ask this for laptops?
    Case
    Silver with a neat Samsung logo
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    too slow when I'm waiting for a download to finish
    Browser
    Yes, I use this (Firefox mostly, w/IE next most)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
    Other Info
    I'm handsome and a snappy dresser :0)
@TheSoprano - Hi there,

If you would like you can review the steps that I took to correct my issues. (GT70 Dragon Edition 2 BSOD inconsistent BSOD issues)

I had three issues with the laptop. First was buggy software from a transitioning company. Qualcomm is not the creator of the Killer Network manager or their components. There was a painful transition time between the time that it was with it's original creator, BigFoot Networks and the new owner, Qualcomm. The Qualcomm page, MSI and KillerNetwork Gaming all seemed to have different versions of the software that was throwing the versioning out of sequence when compared to the date of release. It was often confusing and several users created their own packages that did not include any of the killer software and just the system drivers.

However, this is no longer the case. MSI removed all of the older drivers in mid-January, KillerGaming was shut down on January 1st, 2014 and the only company maintaining the drivers now is Qualcomm - coupled with the latest MSI BIOS and EC Firmware updates, the drivers work flawlessly even with the Killer Network app installed.

My second issue was that I use my laptop for both gaming and business. I do a lot of work using VMWare virtual machines. There was a known issue with enabling the USB layer within virtual machines running in VMWare 10 which is required for Windows 8.1. This has since been resolved by an update from VMWare.

My third issue was that my Logitech wireless mouse dongle (the transmitter) was broken and intermittently causing blue screens when the Logitech manager was installed. After I uninstalled the Logitech manager, my laptop would simply restart without warning. I was able to reproduce the same behavior on a workstation when I plugged the dongle into my other computer. Simple fix - replace the mouse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8/Windows 8.1
I have run both versions of the stand alone network drivers as well as several version of official driver package versions. The bios and firmware have been flashed to at least half a dozen different version even a custom one I paid to have made to I can check the advance settings. I dont use any VM software. I have run on one stick of known good ram in each of the different slots. I have tried different peripherals including changing out my mouse with 2 others and 2 different monitors on 3 different cable types. I have even tried several different sets of headphones and usb keyboards. 4 different hard drives have been tried and both windows 7 and 8 has been tried with the same results. I have even left the computer just sitting there with absolutely nothing plugged in to it and it will crash with in a few hours.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    msi gt70 1763
    CPU
    Intel i7-2670qm
    Motherboard
    MSI