Black Screen

Changing to CPU graphics produced no change so I updated to the Intel driver you linked to. No change.

Updated Bios to 2801 and still no HD 4600 graphics, it's still the Basic Adapter.

What would you suggest next?

Thanks again for walking me through this regardless of the outcome.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
    Motherboard
    Asus Z97-AR
    Memory
    (2) 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SD360 24"
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Evo SSD Boot drive
    WD Black HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic G-Series Modular 550W
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Stock
To be honest i'm running out of ideas, it feels if we are walking in circles.

I would now you have the latest bios, if you not already done this, for the last time trying to install the drivers in these sequence.

1. latest driver asus website
2. latest intel driver
3. driver through windows update.

Just some random thoughts:
How are you reinstalling windows through a image/clone or a clean install.?
Could the image be corrupted.

It could be a hardware problem faulty motherboard, but beyond the Graphic driver install problem, you say your system is stable.

Did you reseated your CPU processor, because if there are bended or damaged pins this can also be the culprit.
Could you test a other CPUprocessor with integrated graphics to see if this gpu also not will be recognized.

If you don't need a external highend graphic Card, because you are not a Gamer etc. you could buy a entry card.
Or beter if you could borrow a card from a friend/family to first check if this will work on your system. (remember to first set the setting back to auto or pcie in your BIOS)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    self build
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
    Motherboard
    Asrock P55 Pro
    Memory
    DDR3 Team--Elite-1333 8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9 280x
    Sound Card
    Realtek Alc 855
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1020
    Hard Drives
    Samsung evo 850 SSd
    Seagate ST 320 gb
    Samsung HD 750 gb
    Seagate ST 3000gb
    PSU
    OCZ Stealth 600 watt
    Case
    Antec 300
    Mouse
    Speedlink Ledos and Nexus
I would now you have the latest bios, if you not already done this, for the last time trying to install the drivers in these sequence.

1. latest driver asus website
2. latest intel driver
3. driver through windows update.
I'll try this tonight and let you know.

How are you reinstalling windows through a image/clone or a clean install.?
Could the image be corrupted.
I'm installing from the Windows OEM disc purchased new when I built it, so it should be good.

It could be a hardware problem faulty motherboard, but beyond the Graphic driver install problem, you say your system is stable.

Did you reseated your CPU processor, because if there are bended or damaged pins this can also be the culprit.
Could you test a other CPUprocessor with integrated graphics to see if this gpu also not will be recognized.
I did not reseat the CPU but I will buy some Arctic Silver and reseat it to rule that out. It seems the system is fine other than as soon as I update the graphics driver in any way, it goes black screen.

I would like to swap parts to try to isolate the problem but of my circle of friends and family, I'm the only one who builds my own computers and I have no other parts compatible with this new system. I purchased the mobo and CPU from a reputable local store so I wonder if they would be willing to swap parts to determine a warranty replacement? I think Asus has a three year warranty so I will ask them.

If you don't need a external highend graphic Card, because you are not a Gamer etc. you could buy a entry card.
Or beter if you could borrow a card from a friend/family to first check if this will work on your system. (remember to first set the setting back to auto or pcie in your BIOS)
I thought about buying a relatively cheap graphics card to solve this problem and be done with it. At some point I was probably going to buy one anyway so I can play games but it bothers me on principle that I should have to do that now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
    Motherboard
    Asus Z97-AR
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SD360 24"
    Hard Drives
    WD Black HDD
    PSU
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Stock
I would like to swap parts to try to isolate the problem but of my circle of friends and family, I'm the only one who builds my own computers and I have no other parts compatible with this new system. I purchased the mobo and CPU from a reputable local store so I wonder if they would be willing to swap parts to determine a warranty replacement? I think Asus has a three year warranty so I will ask them.

If your local store is unwilling then you always can contact customersupport Asus and ask them if they have a clue if this problem could be Mobo faillure and/or ask for a RMA.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asrock P55 Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9 280x
    Sound Card
    Realtek Alc 855
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1020
    Hard Drives
    Samsung evo 850 SSd
    Seagate ST 320 gb
    Samsung HD 750 gb
    Seagate ST 3000gb
    PSU
    OCZ Stealth 600 watt
    Case
    Antec 300
    Mouse
Sorry it's been busy with the holidays. I spoke with Microcenter, the local store where I buy my parts and they want $40 to diagnose it. I'm not inclined to pay them to swap out some parts.

I've been in contact with Asus through their chat support and they agree it looks like it could be the motherboard or the CPU but they want me to install a different version of Windows to see if that solves it. I could upgrade to 10 but I really don't see the point of this. If it's a hardware issue then it's a hardware issue. If it works with W10 but not W8 then something seems fishy to me. With a fresh install it should work exactly as it did when I built it 8 months ago, right?

I've been putting off going to W10 until the majority of bugs are worked out but I suppose I could try it. If I upgrade to 10 and it still goes to black screen, I won't be able to create a disk or USB for W10. What if I reinstall 8.1? Anything else to be concerned with?

I suppose I could just leave it with the basic graphics or add a card and be done with it but it's the principle. If this is going bad, what else may be on the way out or am I overthinking it? I did plan on doing some minor video editing and figured I may need a graphics card anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
    Motherboard
    Asus Z97-AR
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SD360 24"
    Hard Drives
    WD Black HDD
    PSU
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Stock
I highly doubt if a upgrade to windows 10 will solve this problem because when performing an upgrade you use a pre-existing system with issues as a basis.
It is not a clean windows 10 install.
But let face it if a clean windows 8.1install has issues why should it work with a clean windows 10 install.
With highest probability it is a hardware issue.

I believe you can always request a RMA.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asrock P55 Pro
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9 280x
    Sound Card
    Realtek Alc 855
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer V233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1020
    Hard Drives
    Samsung evo 850 SSd
    Seagate ST 320 gb
    Samsung HD 750 gb
    Seagate ST 3000gb
    PSU
    OCZ Stealth 600 watt
    Case
    Antec 300
    Mouse
Thanks for your help, I'll request an RMA.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
    Motherboard
    Asus Z97-AR
    Memory