Best Imaging Software Suggestions

@tseax With ATI 2013 I presume you mean no issues with W8?

I must admit my use of Acronis has been minimalistic. I do whole partition images and restore; and mount images to retrieve data. And occasionally clone an existing OS to a new HD.

However, I don't use cloud storage or images that are continually upgraded from the active GUI, because the updates would introduce into the image any errors that have occurred in the OS since the original image was made. I keep the original image as a virgin installation that I know is pristine with no errors. I upgrade periodically every few months by restoring the original image, updating all security and other apps/programs, then burn a new image. After about 12 months I do a new virgin installation of Windows and start the process again.

Cheers M :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
I've used Acronis True Image for years and am glad of it. Before that, Norton Ghost (those were the days). The build of ATI 2013 I'm using presently (with no issues) is 5551. It appears to be the latest at this moment.

Well, me too, I have used it for 6,7 years until recently I have problem with Acronis Shell Extension so I uninstalled it then found out that Acronis "takeover" of storage device control in the registry and caused conflict and for a while I had all kind of warnings with storage related in the event log, leftover driver files that are not removed and continue to boot and run (fltsrv.sys and snapman.sys). This is not good at all and if you read this: Leftover Drivers? | Knowledge Base then it makes you think a little bit. Fortunately, I had a backup image prior to installing Acronis and once I restored, there's no more warning and all the event logs are now only contain information.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    16 GB G-Skill Trident X @2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    256 GB M2 sm951, (2) 500GB 850EVO, 5TB, 2 TB Seagate
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
@tseax With ATI 2013 I presume you mean no issues with W8?

Cheers M :)
Correct. I'm trying to stay in context (eightforums) ;)

Well, me too, I have used it for 6,7 years until recently I have problem with Acronis Shell Extension so I uninstalled it then found out that Acronis "takeover" of storage device control in the registry and caused conflict and for a while I had all kind of warnings with storage related in the event log, leftover driver files that are not removed and continue to boot and run (fltsrv.sys and snapman.sys). This is not good at all and if you read this: Leftover Drivers? | Knowledge Base then it makes you think a little bit. Fortunately, I had a backup image prior to installing Acronis and once I restored, there's no more warning and all the event logs are now only contain information.

It's great when other people have the "issues" for a change. I mean, I get plenty of 'em. Often strange and unheard of. Fortunately, not yet with ATI. But as you say topgundcp, makes you wonder. Makes you wonder if you shouldn't just build an ATI recovery disk and use that exclusively - keep your system free of Acronis drivers/filters. That would work fine as a DIY backup solution vs. the automated one.

I found another Acronis KB article from last August that covers the last 3 major builds and reiterates what's been said here:
34876: Acronis True Image Home 2011, 2012 and True Image 2013 by Acronis: Cleanup Utility

Never tried the cleanup utility myself. Not yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8x64 | 10x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    Memory
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GEForce 660 Ti SC
    Sound Card
    n/a
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 305T
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1600
    Hard Drives
    System: 8.1 - Intel® SSD 530 Series 240GB
    System: 10 - Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB
    Assorted storage hard drives.
    PSU
    Corsair TX-850
    Case
    Silverstone Raven II E
    Cooling
    Corsair H80i (still unuseable LINK software)
    Keyboard
    Fujitsu (mechanical) | Gyration (wireless)
    Mouse
    M$ Wheel Mouse Optical | Logitech Couch
    Internet Speed
    50 Mbps
    Browser
    FF, Chrome, IE
    Antivirus
    G Data or Avira or Trend Micro or TrustPort
I use Acronis True Image 2013. a happy camper with that one.

I also love Acronis but Acronis True Image 2013 does not work with 8 or 8.1 ...... so I have been told, they say that I would have to upgrade to Acronis 2014 for 8.1 compatibility, I have it installed on 7 but am a little reluctant to install it on 8.1 until I get better confirmation that it does indeed work on 8.1, until them I am using Ocster Backup Pro on 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    Memory
    8 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE Force 5200